Temple Baptist Church - 9-3-2008
2 Corinthians 11:1-4
Introduction: I will probably take two weeks on this outline alone because of its importance.
A. We have looked at the “false teachers” in enough detail that you should be able to know them when you hear them. They are known by the words that they speak and the fruit that they bear. The Word of God clearly exposes their damnable heresies to the spiritual believer.
B. Tonight, I want to begin looking at the three-fold heresy described in verse 4 of this chapter.
1. Another Jesus (whom we have not preached)
2. Another Spirit (which ye have not received)
3. Another Gospel (which ye have not accepted)
C. These are paralleled in 2 Thessalonians 2 which describes the “falling away” heresies of the end time. Let us look at them for a moment.
2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and [by] our gathering together unto him, 2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; (There is a whole lot of “shaking” going on in these last days. There is a “troubling” in the land through these false teachers and prophets.)
1. Shaken in mind by “spirit.” This is in reference to another spirit instead of the Holy Spirit. Notice with me the little “s” instead of the capital “S.” A “spirit” that is disobedient to the Word of God!
2. Shaken in mind by “word.” This is the message being sent forth or preached. “Another gospel” which cannot save!
3. Shaken in mind by “letter as from us.” False manuscripts were already in circulation in the first century with the forged signatures of the Apostle Paul on them. “Another Jesus” who is not Almighty Jehovah God in the flesh!
D. These false teachers:
1. Cause Confusion – God is not the Author of confusion!
2. Cause Mistrust – God wants us to trust Him!
3. Cause Feat – God is the Author of peace!
4. Cause Bondage – God has called us unto liberty!
E. I want to look at these heresies individually: First of all, I want to look at the phrase “another Jesus, who we have not preached.” This is not the Jesus of the Scripture but another Jesus that the world perceives through false revelation.
F. Before we begin, we need to establish the foundation for our beliefs on these heresies. Our foundation is the Word of God. Otherwise, it is simply my beliefs compared with their beliefs and everyman will “stick to his guns” in the final analysis. We must have a common ground to base our beliefs upon or there is not solitary Truth.
G. Here is my question: Can you change your Bible without changing your Jesus?
H. All that we know about both Jesus Christ and church doctrine comes through the Word of God. Today, we have many “bibles” and all of them are different. This brings about several questions that must have answers or our faith is in vain!
1. Can all of these “bibles” be the Word of God?
2. Can any two of these “bibles” be the Word of God?
3. Do we really have a “bible” that is the Word of God or do we simply have a “bible” that contains the Word of God? Let me say, at this point, that if our “bible” is preserved by man instead of God, it is fallible and errant in nature. This is what most of the “Bible Scholars” teach. I believe that the Bible teaches divine preservation of scripture and “things that are different are not the same!” I believe that we have the infallible, inerrant, perfectly preserved Word of God in the King James Bible!
a) The Bible is more than just paper and ink!
b) The Bible is more than just a translation by man!
c. The Bible is the very Word of God in all of its perfection and beauty!
QUESTION: Can you change your Bible without changing your Jesus? (You cannot separate Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Word, from the Bible, the Inscribed Word!)
The Analogy: The Incarnate Word And The Inscribed Word John 1:1-17
1. Portrays Christ as the Lion of the tribe of Judah
2. He is the coming King of Israel.
3. His Genealogy is reckoned from Abraham
Matthew 1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
4. He is called the son of David - royal in His lineage
5. Five women are mentioned in the genealogy - The grace of a King condescending to sinful man
1. Portrays Christ as the Ox
2. He is the Servant of Man
Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;
3. No genealogy is recorded – a servant or slave had no recorded birth
1. Portrays Christ as the Son of Man
2. He is very man - born of a virgin
3. His genealogy reckoned from Joseph
Luke 3:23, 38 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli, ... Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.
4. Goes back to Adam - his humanity
1. Portrays Christ as the Son of God
2. He is very God and shows His Divinity
3. No genealogy - eternality of His Divinity (always was God)
Interesting that John began the Gospel of Divinity by calling Jesus Christ the Word! John 1:1; Revelation 19:13
In a day when the importance of God’s Word is being minimized, we need to realize that God (when dealing with the Divinity of Christ) called Jesus Christ the Word! God, in His Word, uses the same attributes when dealing with the Word of God as He does when dealing with His Son, Jesus Christ. Let us look at some of these attributes.
1. The Incarnate Word is an Eternal Word - vs 1 “In the beginning”
Psalm 90:1-3 Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men.
The Inscribed Word is an Eternal Word
Psalm 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.
Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Peter 1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.
2. The Incarnate Word is an Ever Present Word - vs 1 “the Word was with God”
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
Hebrews 1:12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.
Psalm 102:27 But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.
The Inscribed Word is an Ever Present Word
1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
Psalm 12:6-7 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
3. The Incarnate Word is the Faultless Word - vs 1 “Word was God” - equal (you cannot separate Jesus Christ from His Word, they are one and the same)
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
Isaiah 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
Hebrews 7:26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;
1 Peter 2:22-23 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
1 John 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
The Inscribed Word is The Faultless Word
Psalm 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times
Psalm 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psalm 119:140 Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.
Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
4. The Incarnate Word is the Authoritative Word - vs 3 “all...made...him”
Mark 1:22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
Mark 1:27 And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.
Mark 4:39-41 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith? And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?
The Inscribed Word is the Authoritative Word
Peter 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
Proverbs 13:13 Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.
Romans 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
5. The Incarnate Word is the Essential Word - vs 3 “nothing made without him”
Colossians 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
The Inscribed Word is the Essential Word
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
6. The Incarnate Word Gives Life - vs 4, 14 “in him was life...light of men”
1 John 1:1-2 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
The Inscribed Word Gives Life
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Philippians 2:16 Holding forth the word of life;
7. The Incarnate Word is an Illuminating Word - vs 4 “light of men”
John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
The Inscribed Word is an Illuminating Word
2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
8. The Incarnate Word is a Fathomless Word - vs 5 “comprehended it not”
Romans 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
The Inscribed Word is a Fathomless Word
1 Corinthians 2:9-14 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
9. The Incarnate Word is the Rejected Word - vs 9-11 “knew him not...received him not”
Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
The Inscribed Word is the Rejected Word
Hebrews 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
1 John 5:6-12 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
Conclusion: As we are no better than our word, God is no better than His! If our word is fallible, then we are fallible. If God’s Word is fallible, then He is fallible! “Another Jesus” has to do with the Bible!