Temple Baptist Church - 10-8-2008
2 Corinthians 11:1-4
A. In verse 4 of this chapter, we find the threefold attack by Satan upon the salvation of the sinner:
1. Our Lord Jesus Christ - “another Jesus, whom we have not preached”– Hebrews 11:6 But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. (Our believing in Jesus Christ and His Word is an absolute necessity in salvation. Satan tries to discredit, defame, and destroy such faith.)
2. The Holy Ghost – “another spirit, which ye have not received” - Luke 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. (The Person of the Holy Ghost is essential to convicting, convincing, and converting the sinner. The introduction and involvement of “another spirit” confuses and deludes the sinner, making salvation unattainable.)
3. The Gospel - “another gospel, which ye have not accepted” - Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (The gospel is the power of God unto salvation as you must “believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead.”)
B. The lost cannot be saved if any of these essential parts are missing! You must hear the gospel, be drawn by the Spirit, and believe on Jesus Christ to be saved.
C. There is also a threefold attack by Satan upon the service of the saint:
1. A right perspective of Jesus Christ is essential to our walk.
2. A right perspective of the Holy Ghost is essential to our doctrinal health.
3. A right perspective of the gospel is essential to our witness.
D. The believer cannot be all that God wants him or her to be if their perception of these is wrong. What is the gospel? It is very simple: Gospel – “glad tidings” or “good news” - 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: (The Gospel is both profound and simple! Death—according to the scriptures; burial—placed in a garden tomb; and resurrection the third day—according to the scriptures. Notice that the gospel must be in line with the scriptures! “Another gospel” is one which does not line up with God’s Word.)
E. Tonight, I will deal with “another gospel, which ye have not accepted.” Galatians deals with the corruption of the gospel. Satan does his best to destroy that which he could not stop! He introduces a gospel that is not scripturally based!
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: (Jesus Christ died once for all sin. He died, not swooned! He was buried, not carried off and hidden. He rose again on the third day and His resurrection was bodily, not just spiritually.)
F. By introducing “another gospel,” he destroys the faith of both the sinner and the saint.
1. He blinds the sinner - 2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
2. He bewitches the saint - Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? (To be brought under a spell.)
1. Another Gospel Is Introduced By Adding To The True Gospel – Galatians 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (It is staggering how many people in the Bible Belt do not believe that salvation is through grace and faith alone! The Law was never meant to save but to bring about the knowledge of sinfulness.)
a. “Another Gospel” That Cannot Save - Romans 9:30-33 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. 31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. 32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; 33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. (Stumbling stones of good works, Christian heritage, baptism, church membership, etc.)
Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then [is it] no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if [it be] of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. (Works destroy grace and grace destroys works! To work is to earn a wage while grace is an unearned gift.)
Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Romans 3:27-28 Where [is] boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
b. “Another Gospel” Than Cannot Secure - Galatians 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
1 Peter 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. (Salvation is a onetime event! Salvation brings about eternal life! You cannot get saved over and over again!)
Hebrews 6:4-6 For [it is] impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
2. Another Gospel Is Introduced By Limiting The True Gospel - Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. (“Another gospel” is a gospel that does not Love!)
Galatians 3:6-9 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Conclusion: John 3:16 For God so loved the world (the Gospel loves!), that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth (the Gospel is not limited!) in him should not perish (the Gospel saves!), but have everlasting life (the Gospel secures!). “Another gospel” is one that cannot save, cannot secure, and does not love! “Another gospel” is not the one that I have preached!