Temple Baptist Church - 5-25-2008
A. Interpretation of context must always be given before application. The context is “Wisdom” that comes only from the Lord. The Lord is “Wisdom!” He is all wise and said, in James 1:5, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.”
1. Wisdom is Knowing God
2. Wisdom Is Fearing God
3. Wisdom Is Reverencing God
4. Wisdom Is Obeying God
5. Wisdom Is Serving God
B. The fuel situation in America, coupled with the loss of the American Dollar against the Euro and Yen, have caused a serious financial “crunch” on all of us. Not only are fuel prices continuing to rise but also everything from groceries to the necessities from A to Z are skyrocketing. Most of us are or will have to cut back seriously in some areas as these prices continue to rise.
C. This financial “crunch” has made all of us more money conscious. If we learn nothing else in these days, we learn that the “unrighteous mammon,” as money is called in the Bible, is but a perishable thing and “certainly make themselves wings” and “they fly away!”
1. The Perplexity of Riches - Natural Man Does Not Understand True Riches
2. The Priority of Riches - Riches Can Become Your God
3. The Paradox of Riches - Rich Are Poor And The Poor Are Rich
4. The Problem of Riches
a) Their Desiring - Temporal Riches Do Not
b) Their Deception - Temporal Riches Deceive
c) Their Duration - Temporal Riches Do Not Last
d) Their Destruction - Temporal Riches Can Destroy
D. My fear is that we get our eyes on “uncertain riches” and lose our understanding of “durable riches.” The Lord said, “I will fill their treasures.”
1. The Riches of God’s Goodness - Romans 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? (God’s goodness is an enduring goodness.)
a. God’s Goodness To The Sinner - Romans 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
Psalms 33:5 He loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the LORD.
b. God’s Goodness To The Saint - Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Psalms 40:17 But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou [art] my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.
Psalms 103:1-5 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.
2. The Riches of His Salvation - Ephesians 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, (God’s salvation is eternal! If we have nothing else to “rejoice” about, we can rejoice forever in the Lord.)
Ephesians 3:8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
a. Our Future - John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
b. Our Fellowship - 1 John 1:3-4 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
3. The Riches of His Eternity - Ephesians 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. (God’s promise of Heaven is durable! This world is not my home, I just a passing through!)
a. A Perfect Home - Revelation 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
b. A Perfect Body - 1 Corinthians 15:51-55 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
c. A Perfect Environment - Revelation 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
2 Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
4. The Riches of His Supply - Matthew 6:31-33 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. (God’s promise to feed his “sparrows” shows the durable riches of His supply to His “sheep!”)
a. Spiritual Supply - 2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
b. Physical Supply - Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
5. The Riches of His Presence - Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: (Not matter where I am or what I am going through, He is there! He knows and He cares! That is worth more than all of the world to me!)
a. His Presence In Promise - Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
b. His Presence In Problems - 2 Timothy 4:16-18 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
6. The Riches of His Assurance - Colossians 2:2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; (I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am His and He is Mine!)
a. Assurance Of Scripture - 2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
b. Assurance Of Salvation - 1 Thessalonians 1:5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.
7. The Riches of His Faith - James 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? (A man once said that you could take all that a person has away from him, but if he has his faith, he can make it. I sometimes waver because I am human, but I BELIEVE GOD!)
a. A Faith That Brings Help - Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
b. A Faith That Brings Hope - Romans 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.