Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Dusty Feet or a Dirty Heart

 Temple Baptist Church - 1-24-2024

John 13:1-12

 

Introduction:

 

A.  I am spending quite a bit of time in this context because of the several spiritual truths found here.  Why did our Lord, just prior to His death, burial, and resurrection, wash the feet of His disciples.

 

1.  It was an act of Love.  Verse 1. “having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end. “    When I think of the love of Christ for His people and church, I still stand amazed.  A song says, “That God should love a sinner such as I, how wonderful is that love.”

 

John 15:11-13  These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.  (12)  This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.  (13)  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

 

2.  It was an act of Humility.  Verse 4.  “He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.”  That Almighty Jehovah God, Who had never bowed to anyone of anything, would take His place at the feet of the disciples as did the lowest servant of a household.

 

Philippians 2:5-8  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:  (6)  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:  (7)  But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:  (8)  And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

 

3.  It was an act of Service.  Verse 5. “After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash”

 

John 13:14-16  If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.  (15)  For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.  (16)  Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

 

Galatians 5:13  For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

 

4.  It was as act of Selection.  Verse 5. “and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded. “ He only washed their feet.

 

1 John 2:1  My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

 

B.  Again, so as not to become confused or taught wrong, we need to understand that foot washing was not a command for the local New Testament Church, it was a figure or type to be followed.  It was a type of spiritual cleansing.  Verse 10.  “Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean”

 

1.  Foot washing was a part of the daily life of people in the times of Christ as they wore sandals and walked virtually everywhere they went.  The lowest servant in the house was required to do the foot washing.  He was not asked but commanded to wash feet. 

 

2.  Our Lord was not commanded to wash feet; He was not obligated to wash feet; it was an act of His marvelous love for His own.  “having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end. “

 

C.  Our Lord used Peter, the perfect example of the child of God in need of cleansing.  I also want to give Peter a break!  He catches so much flack because of his often-overzealous fervency.

 

1.  I love old Peter and wish that I could be 1/10th of the Christian that he was.  He loved his Lord and Saviour.  He was fervent in his passion for the Lord and things of God.

 

2.  This night, Peter knew that the Lord was his Saviour—God in the flesh, as well as Israel’s Messiah—their Deliverer.

 

3.  Peter understood what John the Baptist had said about the Lord and also knew that John was the greatest prophet ever born of woman.  If such a great man as John the Baptist felt unworthy, we should all think that way.

 

Mark 1:7  And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.

 

4.  I hope that I would have done as Peter did!  What Peter did, he did 100%. Peter loved the Lord with all his heart and knew that he was unworthy to even bow at the feet of Jesus and unlatch His shoes.  Do not look down on what Peter did because, at this point, he did not know what Jesus was doing.

 

John 13:7  Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

 

5.  Our Lord gently rebuked Peter and Peter went 100% in the opposite direction.  Peter should have been used to this by this time.

 

a)  In Matthew, chapter 16, Peter rebuked the Lord when He said that he would have to die. 

 

Matthew 16:21-23  From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.  (22)  Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.  (23)  But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.  (Christ had to die for the sin of the world as there was no other way of salvation.)

 

b)  On the Mount of Transfiguration when Peter “wist not” what to say and SAID he would make three tabernacles: one for Jesus, one for Moses, and one for Elias.

 

Matthew 17:4-6  Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.  (5)  While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.  (6)  And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.

 

c)  Paul would later rebuke Peter in the Book of Acts for disassembling from the Gentiles when the Jews showed up.

 

Galatians 2:11-13  But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.  (12)  For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.  (13)  And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.

 

d)  In our text, Peter once again spoke before he listened, and the Lord gently rebuked him.

 

John 13:6-9  Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?  (7)  Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.  (8)  Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.  (9)  Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

 

John 13:9-10  Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.  (10)  Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

 

D.  Now, I want to look at the 4th aspect of foot washing as a very precious and important truth lies herein.  Look at the words of our Lord. 

 

John 13:10  Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

 

1.  “He that is washed!”  This washing speaks of salvation.  If you are washed (saved), you have no need to be washed again.  Back in the day, we would call this washing an all-over bath! 

 

1 Corinthians 6:9-11  Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,  (10)  Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.  (11)  And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

 

2.  Only the feet of the saved become dirty or dusty as we walk through this sinful world.  I hate it that my feet are defiled in this present evil world but am so glad that I can still get them cleaned for me.

 

1 John 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 

a)  Positionally, the believer is eternally saved by grace and grace alone.

 

John 5:24  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

 

John 10:28  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

 

b)  Practically, the believer is still sinners kept by the grace of God.

 

1 John 1:8,10  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us ...  (10)  If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

 

3.  Now, let us look at these verses 10-11.

 

John 13:10-11  Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.  (11)  For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

 

a)  Not all of the disciples were saved!  Judas Iscariot as a religious man but not a saved one.  He did not lose his salvation because he never had been saved.

 

John 6:70-71  Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?  (71)  He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

 

John 12:4-6  Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,  (5)  Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?  (6)  This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

 

John 13:2  And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him;

 

b)  Judas Iscariot had never had that “all over bath” that comes with salvation and therefore was not clean!

 

E.  There will be times when the dust and dirt of this world will cling to our “feet” as we walk through life. 

 

1.  I do not like to sin; I do not want to sin; I am disappointed when I sin; I am ashamed when I do sin; but I thank God I am not lost when I sin! 

 

2.  God convicts me of my sin and I have probably almost word out 1 John 1:9: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 

 

3.  The Lord still “washes our feet” that we may be clean in every way. 

 

F.  One day, we will have a heavenly body to walk on a “new earth” where no sin is and our feet will never become dusty or dirty again.  If you have never been washed in the blood of Jesus Christ, you need an all over bath of salvation.

No comments: