Temple Baptist Church - 5-14-2023
Introduction: Mother’s Day is one of the most special of the year. It is a time for “Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.” (Proverbs 31:29)
In Proverbs 31:10-31, God set the standard high for you ladies! I find no such text as this one with such qualifications and multiple facets.
Why so? Because God has chosen you ladies to guide the home, build a “nest” for your family to dwell in. God made you special as He made you to be a helpmeet for the husband and a mother to the children and grandchildren.
Without you, the man would be alone, the home would be a house, and there would be no children and grandchildren. Adam named his wife Eve because she was the mother of all living. GOD MADE YOU SPECIAL AND GAVE YOU TO THE MAN!
That, my friends, will preach!
A. Proverbs 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.
1. To both young and old, if you want a good Mama for your children, marry right! This is not my message but one that is important to having a good home and godly Mother.
a. “Whoso” is another way of saying “whosoever” which means every man.
b “Findeth” means to make a diligent search. Be careful when you marry.
c. Make sure to pick the right mate for yourself (both boys and girls) and mother for your children.
2. I sure miss my “mom” and “second mom”! Oh, how she loved her family, what a wonderful mother she was.
a. Mom loved us youngins despite our faults and, sometimes, radical behavior! We were a mess, but mom was good at straightening our messes.
b. From birth to old age, mom was always there for us. Her love and wisdom, patience and comradery were always there.
c. I miss calling mom several times a week to just chat with her. I am glad that she is finally home, and I will see her again.
3. I thank the Lord for Barbara! She likewise looks beyond both my faults and our children. What a wonderful wife and mother she has been through these years and I love her more than life.
4. I thank the Lord for the mothers and ladies of our church. I love and respect each one you equally.
B. It is interesting what some great men have said concerning their mothers. The mother has a tremendous influence for either good or evil in the lives of the children.
Washington Irving – “The love of a real mother is never exhausted. It never changes-it never tires-it endures through all; in good repute, in bad repute, in the face of the world’s condemnation, a mother’s love still lives on.”
Charles Spurgeon – “I cannot tell how much I owe to the prayers of my good mother…I remember her once praying, “Now Lord, if my children go on in sin it will not be from ignorance that they perish, and my soul must bear swift witness against them at the day of judgment if they lay not hold on Christ and claim Him as their personal Savior.”
Dr. G. Campbell Morgan had 4 sons and they were all preachers. Someone once came into the drawing room when all the family was there. They thought they would see what Howard, one of the sons, was made of so they asked him this question: “Howard, who is the greatest preacher in your family?” Howard had a great admiration for his father and he looked straight across at him and then, without a moments hesitation, he answered, “Mother.”
May R. Coker - Motherhood is the greatest privilege of life.
Abraham Lincoln - No man is poor who has had a godly mother.
Seen on a church sign: If evolution is true, how come mothers still have only two hands?
C. How moms are made: She has to be completely washable, but not plastic; have 200 moveable parts, all replaceable; run on black coffee and leftovers; have a lap that can hold three children at one time that disappears when she stands up; have a kiss that can cure anything from a scraped knee to a broken heart; and have six pairs of hands. She must have 3 pairs of eyes. One pair of eyes is to see through the closed door as she asks the children what they are doing even though she already knows. Another pair in the back of the head is to see what she needs to know even though no one thinks she can. The third pair is in the front of the head. They are for looking at an errant child and saying that she understands and loves him or her without even saying a single word. She heals herself when she is sick and can feed a family of six on a pound of hamburger and can get a nine year old to stand in the shower. Se is made both soft and tough. She can endure and accomplish anything. She will be able to think, reason, and negotiate. She has tears as her way of expressing her joy, her sorrow, her disappointment, her pain, her loneliness, and her grief. SHE IS BOTH SPECIAL AND SPECIALLY MADE!!!
D. Good, godly women and mothers are a scarce commodity today. They are hard to find, but thank God, there are still some young ladies being raised for the Lord in such a manner as to make good, godly wives.
E. Godly mothers are not born, it is a choice each lady personally makes.
F. Proverbs give us the description of what a godly wife and mother should be.
1. The Proverbs Mother is a Gracious Woman - Proverbs 11:16 A gracious woman retaineth honour: and strong men retain riches. (GRACIOUS - Favorable; kind; benevolent; merciful; disposed to forgive offenses and impart unmerited blessings.)
2. A Gracious Woman Is Favorable Woman - Proverbs 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD. (She brings the blessings of God into a home!)
3. The Proverbs Mother is a Virtuous Woman - Proverbs 31:10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. (She is a Pearl of Great Price that money cannot buy.)
4. The Proverbs Mother is a Crowning Woman - Proverbs 12:4 A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones. (She brings pride and glory to her husband and home.)
5. The Proverbs Mother is a Wise Woman - Proverbs 14:1 Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands. (She places her husband, children, and home above herself.)
6. The Proverbs Mother is a God-Fearing Woman - Proverbs 31:30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. (She is a woman of private devotion and prayer.)
7. The Proverbs Mother is a Trusted Woman - Proverbs 31:11-12 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. 12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. (No jealousy found here. She is faithful to her husband and children.)
8. The Proverbs Mother is an Appreciated Woman - Proverbs 31:28-31 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. 29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. 30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. 31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates. (Never take for granted the precious woman that God has given to you, husband and children. Appreciate her and never break her heart!)
a. Her Children – “her children”
b. Her Husband – “her husband”
c Her Acquaintances – “in the gates”
d. Her Lord – “shall be praised”
e. And your pastor praises you this morning.
Post a Comment