Sunday, November 20, 2022

O Give Thanks unto the Lord

 Temple Baptist Church - 11-20-2022

Psalm 107

 

Introduction:

 

A.  I will not do this in all the Psalms but there will be some that require more than one message.  The Psalms were the “hymn book” of the Nation of Israel.  As with our hymn books, many of the Psalms or songs were born our of trouble and circumstances. 

 

1 Corinthians 10:11  Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

 

B.  The Psalm is Davidic and was written during his hiding from King Saul.  In the worst of times, David found things to be thankful for as we find things to be thankful for in our troubles.

 

C.  The key verse is verse 1: “O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.”  Notice with me that this first verse coincides with the last verse of Psalm 23: “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.”

 

D.  Psalm 23 is a story written by David about his life.  From his salvation, “The Lord is my Shepherd” in verse 1, to his death and homegoing in verses 4-6, “(4)  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.  (5)  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.  (6)  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”

 

E.  Though David is the one in trouble, he brings us to remembrance of God’s deliverances of Israel in four areas of life.  This is what the Book of Psalms is about.  The goodness and mercy of God in both good times and also in times of troubles.  GOD IS ALWAYS GOOD! 

 

Psalms 100:5  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

 

F.  As we are now only a short time before Thanksgiving, I feel it necessary to preach on “Thankfulness.”  This is a Psalm of Thanksgiving.  I do not have the time to dissect each verse as there are 43, but I do want to give you 4 things that stand out.

 

G.  There are 2 verses in Psalm 107 that are repeated 4 times.

 

1.  Verses 6, 13,19, and 28.  “Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them out of their distresses.”  (4 times they cried unto the Lord, and He delivered them out of their “distresses” each time.  (Distresses – a narrow place or anguish.)

 

2.  Verses 8, 15, 21, and 31.  “Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!”  (Another 4 times they praised the LORD for His goodness and wonderful works to the children of men.)

 

 

 

1.  Verses 2-8.  The Goodness of the LORD’s Care. 

 

a.  David was thankful for the care of the Lord.

 

b.  David wanted Israel to be thankful for the care of the Lord.

 

c.  The Lord wants us to be thankful for His care.  When we have needs that cause distresses, He if faithful to meet those needs so that we have need of nothing.

 

2.  Verses 9-15.  The Goodness of the LORD’s Correction.

 

a.  David knew the correction of the Lord.

 

b.  Israel knew the correction of the Lord.

 

c.  We know the correction of the Lord.  I am thankful that God cares enough for me to correct me and place my feet back on a right path.

 

3.  Verses 16-22.  The Goodness of the LORD’s Compassion.

 

a.  David experienced the Lord’s compassion.

 

b.  David experienced the Lord’s compassion.

 

c.  We have experienced the Lord’s compassion.  The Lord not only takes care of us, He cares for us!  I have seen people who cared for someone but cared nothing about them.  Does Jesus care, I know He cares!

 

4.  Verses 23-31.  The Goodness of the LORD’s Control. 

 

a.  David wrote of his death and going home because he understood the sovereignty of God.

 

b.  Israel’s glorious end when they look on Him whom they pierced has already been recorded in the Bible and will come to pass.

 

c.  We need to understand that God is a sovereign God who both knows the end from the beginning but also controls our circumstances as we walk through this world of woe!

 

Psalms 107:6-8  Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them out of their distresses.  (7)  And he led them forth by the right way, that they might go to a city of habitation.  (8)  Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

No comments: