Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Patience’s Perfect Work

Temple Baptist Church - 6-9-2021

James 1:1-4

 

Introduction:

 

A.  Patience, one of the most hated words in our vocabulary.  Patience means that we do not get what we want when we want it.  Patience means that we have to sit tight and wait.

 

1.  I want what I want when I want it!  Do not look at me wide-eyed as you are just like me and most others.  I have always been one to

 

2.  I am not a “waiter,” I am a “worker.”  I hate to have a job sitting and staring at me. 

 

3.  I am over punctual!  If I am on time, I am 15 minutes late.  I will not make others wait on me; I wait on others because I value their time.

 

B.  That being said, my prayer is: “Lord, give me patience right now!”  PATIENCE - the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset:

 

C.  As a husband, father, and pastor—I strive to be patient with others.  Patience is essential and therefore a qualification for the pastorate.

 

1 Timothy 3:3  Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

 

1 Timothy 2:24  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient.

 

D.  Patience is a virtue to be added to our faith.  2 Peter 1:5-6  “And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;  (6)  And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;”

 

1.  Patiently waiting upon the Lord.  “Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him:” (Psalm 37:7)  He only works on His time schedule.

 

2.  Patience in continuance.  “To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:” (Romans 2:7)

 

3.  Patience in tribulation.  “Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;” (Romans 12:12)

 

4.  Patience with all men.  “Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.”  (1 Timothy 5:14)

 

5.  Patience in suffering.  “For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.”  (1 Peter 2:20)

 

6.  Patience in hope.  “But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.”  (Romans 12:12)

 

Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

 

E.  Patience, patience, patience!  Romans 15:5  Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

 

F.  Now, to our text.  We joy in temptations because of who and what God does but we also joy because the trying of our faith worketh patience!

 

1.  Knowing this!  All of us need to understand that the trying of our faith is a good thing, not something to be hated.  We NEED patience!  Hebrews 10:36  For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

 

2.  Worketh!  Patience is not an immediate thing; it is a progression that takes time.  Worketh - To fully accomplish, to finish, to fashion,

 

3.  But let!  To allow patience or not to allow patience is our part.  We have nothing to do with the “trying” of our faith because, as humans, we would never allow trials to happen in the first place.

 

4.  Have her perfect work!  Perfect – completeness, of full age, to accomplish, finish, fashion, to perform.

 

5.  The ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.  Mature, complete, satisfied with the result!

No comments: