Temple Baptist Church - 5-30-2021
A. Last week, we saw the progression of the “beast from the sea” from Babel to the end-time political system: the revived Roman Empire. Tonight, we will explore this first “beast” by expounding the next 9 verses of chapter 13.
Daniel 2:40-45 And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise. (41) And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay. (42) And as the toes of the feet were part of iron, and part of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong, and partly broken. (43) And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay. (44) And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever. (45) Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.
Daniel 7:23 Thus he said, The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces.
B. In verse 2, we find Daniel’s vision in reverse. Daniel saw the lion (Babylon) first, then the bear (Medo-Persia), then the leopard (Grecian) last. Daniel saw it from a prophetic view from his day until the end of time.
1. The lion is a formidable beast for sure but is kingly in nature. We call the lion the “King of the Beast.” Though powerful and aggressive, Babylon was a place of elegance and a power to be respected.
2. The bear is equally ferocious but is more of a scavenger and much less respected. This is a good analogy for Medio-Persia.
3. The leopard is also a power to be respected and is very quick in its attack. The Grecian Empire, under Alexander the Great, could move armies with unparalleled speed and attack with great ferocity.
C. In the Revelation, John sees these world powers from the end of time back to their beginning.
1. The leopard because now the culmination of world power comes very quickly in the end time.
2. The bear because it is a power to be feared and destructive in its nature.
3. The lion because of its great power and authority.
Daniel 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
D. Verse 3 is one of those verses where there are differing opinions concerning its meaning.
1. Some hold that Antichrist will be dealt a death blow in battle or an attempted assassination and will resurrect again with the whole world knowing it. I find no place in the Bible where either Satan or man has the power of resurrection. Jesus said that He was the “resurrection and the life!” Therefore, I reject this interpretation of verse 3.
2. I believe that the Bible gives us light in this area. This was one of the “7 heads” that is being spoken of here. I believe that these were the 7 great world empires that lead up to the end-time political system. Each of the first 6 empires eventually fell to their enemies to never rise again though the “baton” was handed to the 7th and final empire.
3. The Roman Empire fell due to internal decay, military anarchy, and constant attack by the Vandals from North Africa who cut off Rome’s grain supply as well as waged war, the Visigoths from the north who sacked Rome continually, and the Asiatic Huns attacked from the east. Though the official fall of Rome was in 476 AD, the fall came by degrees over a period of 200 years under the wicked hands of the Caesars.
3. These empires all died but the 7th empire, Rome, has never completely gone away and will rise again in the last days.
4. In verse 3, I find the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, the 7th and last world empire.
E. Verse 4, we see Satan Worship because it is he that gives power to the beast and because of this power, no man or nation can stand before it militarily.
F. Verse 5, the beast is given a “mouth” or spokesperson, probably Antichrist, who will have nothing but evil to speak of God (blasphemy-to speak evil against God) and allowed of God to continue for the span of 42 months or 3 ½ years until the end of the Tribulation Period.
G. Verse 6, the direction of his blasphemy. He will curse God; he will curse God’s name; he will curse His Tabernacle (this will include all places of God’s worship including local Bible believing churches; and he will curse God’s people. An all-out attack on everything and anything that stands for or speaks for God.
H. Verse 7, Antichrist will make war against the saints and put them to death. He will also war against all people in all places. Today, foolish, and blinded people give their freedom and wealth to socialism which is an enemy that will ultimately destroy them.
J. Verse 8, the saved will reject the Antichrist while ALL the world will worship him. I have often said, “There is no benign state of neutrality with God!”
Matthew 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Mark 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.
K. Verse 9, TAKE HEED! If you have ears, you need to hear. There is a great separating taking place today as those who reject God are becoming more “in His face” with their lack of faith and sinful lives.
1. The deceivers are being deceived.
2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
2. Those who sin or, in this case kill, will live, or die in the same way.
Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
Matthew 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
3. Here we find the patience and faith of the saints. They will patiently endure amid the Tribulation Period because their faith is in God, not in circumstances.
Mark 13:13 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.