Temple Baptist Church - 12-15-2019
Luke 2:1-14 (vs. 11)
A. This morning, I want to look at the Person of Incarnation. In Matthew 16:13-16, Jesus asked his disciples a question concerning His Person and Peter gave one of the most quoted statements in the Bible.
Matthew 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Christ – “The Anointed One” The Christ, not a Christ! There were many anointed men in both the Old and New Testaments, but this verse is in reference to “The Anointed One,” One of a kind, the very Son of God!
B. Who was that Babe that was born in a manger so long ago? The world is certainly confused concerning His Person.
2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
C. The world is blinded to the “glorious gospel of Christ” which pictures the incarnation, life, death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
1. Religion tries to change Him.
2. The world tries to ignore Him.
3. The atheist tries to do away with Him.
4. As S. M. Lockridge so eloquently said, “You can't get Him out of your mind. You can't get Him off your hands. You can't outlive Him, and you can't live without Him.”
D. What does the Bible say about Him?
1. The Bible declares that He is God! He is not angel; He is not a son of the gods; He is not a son of God; He is the only begotten Son of God; He is Almighty Jehovah God!
John 1:1-4 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
John 10:30 I and my Father are one.
John 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
2. The Bible declares that He is the eternal God! He did not begin at the creation as He was not created; He was the Creator; He did not begin in the womb of Mary as He created both Mary and the womb that bore Him; He always was and always will be Almighty God!
Psalms 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.
Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
3. The Bible declares that He is the unchanging God! He does not change in His Person; He does not change in His Performance; He does not change in His Purpose; He does not change in His Promises; He is and forever will be the same for He is the immutable God!
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
Psalms 102:27 But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.
Malachi 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
4. The Bible declares that He is the Only Saviour! He is not a Savior; He is not a Way; He is the Saviour and the only Way to Heaven!
Isaiah 43:11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
5. The Bible declares that He is the sovereign LORD! He does as He wills and asks counsel of no man! He knows the end from the beginning and, therefore, needs no advice or guidance! His purposes and promises are always fulfilled because He is a sovereign LORD!
Romans 11:33-36 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.
6. The Bible declares that He is One of a kind! There has never been a God before Him; there is no God with Him; there will never be a God after Him! He is self-existing and He is eternal!
Isaiah 45:5-6 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.
7. The Bible declares that He is everything that this world needs! For without Him, we can do nothing (John 15:5); but with Him, we can do all things (Philippians 4:13)!
Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
a. He is the Reason of my Praise – “Wonderful”
b. He is the Remedy of my Problems – “Counselor”
c. He is the Resource of my Power – “The Mighty God”
d. He is the Righteousness of my Permanence – “The Everlasting Father”
e. He is the Reality of my Peace – “The Prince Of Peace”