Sunday, August 11, 2019

That I May Know Him

Temple Baptist Church - 8-11-2019
Philippians 3:10


Introduction: 

A.  There are two major truths found in this passage:

1.  That I may “be found in him.” 

a)  “Having mine own righteousness, which is of the law.”  To be and remain lost.  To be religious but unrighteous.

b)  “The righteousness which is of God by faith.”  To be and remain saved.  Having the imputed righteousness of God.

2.  That I may “know him.” May or may not!  “May know him” implies that some may not know Him!

B.  One of a pastor’s greatest fears is that people are so busy learning about Christ without getting to KNOW CHRIST.  As well as learning about Christ, getting to know Christ is a lifelong work!

C.  Salvation is so much more than a position of eternal life in our Saviour, it is a relationship of eternal life with our Saviour. 

1.  The Bible gives an analogy between salvation and marriage in Ephesians, chapter 5.

2.  What makes a good marriage?  Let’s look at the “Marriage vows” for a few minutes.

I, Lord Jesus Christ, take thee, Whosoever Will, to be my wedded wife...to have and to hold...from this day forward...for better or for worse...for richer or for poorer...in sickness as in health...to love and to cherish...till death do us part.   (The Lord takes us as we are in both good and bad times, for not only as long as we do right or as long as we live, but for all eternity.)

I, Whosoever Will, take thee, Lord Jesus Christ, to be my wedded husband...to have and to hold...from this day forward...for better or for worse...for richer or for poorer...in sickness as in health...to love, cherish, and obey...till death do us part.  (We, as the “Whosoever Will,” are to remain faithful in good times and bad times, to “love, cherish, and obey,” for as long as we live.)

3.  Good marriages are built upon the solid foundation of both good and bad times.  “The family that stays together prays together.”

D.  How do we get to know Christ?

1.  The power of his resurrection!”  We Need To Know God In Our Salvation

2 Peter 1:1  Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

a. A Salvation That Is Settled – “obtained” - 2 Timothy 1:12  For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

b. A Salvation That Is Like – “like” - Jude 3  Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

c. A Salvation That Is Precious – “precious” - 1 Peter 2:7  Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

d. A Salvation That Is Unmerited – “faith” - Romans 3:24  Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Revelation 22:17  And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

e. A Salvation That Is Shared – “with us” - Romans 12:5  So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

2.  “The Fellowship of His Sufferings!”  We Need To Know God In Our Suffering.

Philippians 4:12-13  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  (13)  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

a. God’s Power In Suffering – “full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.” 

Jeremiah 32:17  Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:

b. God’s Promise In Suffering – “I can do all things” - Philippians 4:13  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Philippians 3:7-10   But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.  Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,  And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:  That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

3.  “Being Made Conformable Unto His Death!”  We Need To Know God In His Security.

a. His Past Deliverance - 2 Timothy 1:9  Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

b. His Present Deliverance - Psalms 34:19  Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.

c. His Perfect Deliverance - 2 Timothy 4:18  And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Conclusion:  Ephesians 3:14-19  For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,  Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,  That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;  That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,  May be able to comprehend with all saints what [is] the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;  And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

No comments: