Temple Baptist Church - 3-10-2019
2 Timothy 4:1-10
A. Last week, I preached a message on the “Pulpit.” I cannot emphasize enough its importance. If the pulpit becomes compromised or intimidated, the local church is in trouble.
B. 2 Timothy, chapter 4, is a continuation of chapter 3. The word “therefore,” in verse one ties the chapters together in one context.
C. Chapter 3 shows us the times that we live in.
1. Perilous Times – so-called “Christians” have no resemblance to Christ! They are worldly and wicked while naming Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour.
2. Persecuting Times – as those who endeavor to live for Christ are persecuted. The world hated Christ and they will also hate those who faithfully follow Him.
3. Peaceful Times – as we continue to hold the inspired Word of God in our hands and follow our forefathers in the Old Paths.
4. Perfecting Times – as our King James Bible thoroughly furnishes the saints of God. As God’s children, we have all that we need to grow and prosper in Christ.
D. Five things about standing for Christ in these last days.
1. A Preaching to be done – Vs 1-2 – reproving, rebuking, exhorting, compassion, doctrinal. These 5 things cover what preaching should be about. We will keep preaching!
2. A Prophecy to be heeded – Vs 3-4 – this crowd in chapter 3 will not come to our church! I thank God that there are still a few looking for something, but the majority are looking for nothing and finding it.
3. A Price to be paid – Vs 5-6 – watch, endure, work, serve, and give your life. Christ gave His life for you.
4. A Pleasing to be had – Vs 7-8 – fighting, finishing, and faithful. God is not unrighteous to forget your labor of love. There is a rewarding that awaits.
5. A Possibility to be shunned – Vs 9-10 – Forsaken me.
Conclusion: Simple enough? Things are not going to get any better. We all know what time it is spiritually and, I don’t know about you, but I am ready to go home!