Temple Baptist Church - 9-26-2018
A. I may or may not have time to finish my message tonight but, I do want to deal very thoroughly with the subject matter because of its importance.
B. I also do not want to do a study on Angelology. Therefore, I will make some opening remarks about angels and then contrast them with our Lord Jesus Christ.
C. Over the past 5 or more decades, there has been a fixation with Angels. Guardian Angel Pins, Angel on my Shoulder Pins, Angel on my Lapel Pins, Angel in my Pocket Pins, along with pictures of Guardian Angels (normally female while biblical angels always took male form).
D. The New Testament saints also, many times, had a wrong perception of angels.
Colossians 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
E. Many of the cults venerate angels to one degree or the other. Jehovah’s Witnesses (that Jesus Christ was the angel Michael), Mormons (the angel Moroni of which an image is sitting atop of the Mormon Temple in Salt Lake, UT. The statue normally faces East, looking for the return of Jesus Christ.).
F. These scattered Jews were very familiar with the concept of angels. Angels have been since the creation, in both Old and New Testament. The word “angel” or “angels” is found 303x in 289x verses in the Bible. Angel means “messenger.”
G. The term “Angel of the LORD” is found 68x in 64x verses and is used in reference to a Theophany or Christophany.
H. As time progressed, the earthly work of angels waned until the completion of the Word of God, that which is perfect. Though not a passing gift to God’s children, the open work of angels certainly diminished. Now, we may entertain angels unaware and they may be our ministers, we are not aware of their presence.
I. There are an innumerable host of angels. Hebrews 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
1. There are named angels: An Archangel – Michael, Gabriel, Lucifer.
2. There are Cherubims – defenders of the holiness of God.
3. There are Seraphims – worshippers of God.
4. There are Fallen Angels, evil spirits.
5. There are Guardian Angels.
6. There are Ministering Angels.
J. Angels have great power, great glory, and great beauty.
K. Our text proclaims that Jesus Christ is “so much better than the angels.” Not just better but “so much better.” Beyond our capability to understand or explain. There can be no human comparison.
1. Jesus Christ is “so much better than the angels” because ofInheritance. Verse 4. Hebrews 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; (
2. Jesus Christ is “so much better than the angels” because of Relationship. Verse 5-6. 1 John 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
3. Jesus Christ is “so much better than the angels” because of Worship. Verse 6. Revelation 7:11 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God,
4. Jesus Christ is “so much better than the angels” through Lordship. Verse 7-8. Acts 10:36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)
5. Jesus Christ is “so much better than the angels” through Righteousness. Verse 9. James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: (Angels, though they cannot be redeemed, are free moral agents with the ability to choose good or evil.)
6. Jesus Christ is “so much better than the angels” through Creation. Verse 10. John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (Jesus Christ was the Creator while angels were created.)
7. Jesus Christ is “so much better than the angels” through Immutability. Verse 11. Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
8. Jesus Christ is “so much better than the angels” through Eternality. Verse 11-12. Psalms 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. (Jesus Christ was before all things.)
9. Jesus Christ is “so much better than the angels” through Approval. Verse 13. Mark 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.