Temple Baptist Church - 3-25-2018
A. In our verse, I find it important to re-establish the fact that the child of God is forever saved! This is a message that needs to be clearly understood!
B. Verse 23 contrasts the work of the Law in Condemnation and the work of Grace in Salvation. The verse can be applied in two ways.
1. Practically, we are still under the laws of God – the wage of sin is still death! I dealt with that last week. We are to obey every ordinance of both God and man for the Lord’s sake and not to obey brings judgement. Sin still kills.
2. Positionally, we are not under the Penalty of the Law, as we are saved eternally by the grace of God.
C. Our present relationship to the laws of God specifically and our relationship to the Law in general are both still valid.
1. First, let me be clear that we that are saved are not without law. The individual laws of both moral and civil law of the Old Testament are still valid laws to be followed today. Our system of judicial and civil law in America are founded upon these commandments of the Old Testament.
2. Secondly, the Old Testament Law had another function. It was and is our “schoolmaster to bring us to Christ.” Schoolmaster – a “boy leader” that brought children to school for the purpose of educating them.
Galatians 3:22-26 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. (23) But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. (24) Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. (25) But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. (26) For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
D. Religion, which is manmade, viciously attacks this precious doctrine of Eternal Life. The doctrine of eternal life has been attacked by both man and devil about as much as the doctrine of the scriptures! Just look at John 10:27-31.
E. You would think that “eternal life” is something that every sinner would love to have but this is not the case. Man believes that he is essentially good, and that God should accept his “offering.” This thinking is as old as time:
F. I thank God for “Eternal Life!” I am the least of all saints and the worst of all sinners! I am so glad this morning that salvation is of the Lord and I will go to Heaven on day by the amazing grace of God!!
G. The words everlasting and eternal are used many times in the Bible: Everlasting Life” 11 times, “Eternal Life” 26 times. A man once said that “One who does not believe in ‘eternal security’ is doomed to live in ‘eternal insecurity.’"
1. The Meaning Of The Word Eternal – it means forever and forever and forever…
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
2. Eternal Life Is An Unconditional Covenant Of God – this means that it does not depend upon us but upon His promises!
John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
3. Eternal Life States The Sufficiency Of Christ’ Death – His sacrifice is sufficient to not only save but to save eternally.
Hebrews 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
4. Eternal Life Depends Upon The Ability Of God To Keep That Which Belongs To Him – Eternal Life is the responsibility of God, not man!
Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
5. Eternal Life Is A Product Of The Integrity Of God’s Word – if God said it, you can “take it to the bank!”
1 John 2:25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, eveneternal life.
7. Eternal Life Is The Fidelity Of God’s Love For Us – He has loved us with an everlasting love!
John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
8. Eternal Life Has The Seal Of The Indwelling Holy Spirit – we that are saved have the Spirit Of God living in us until the day He takes us home!
John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Conclusion: Not wonder the Devil hates the doctrine of Eternal Life! He may try to rob you of your peace and profitableness, but he CANNOT rob you of your salvation! Glory to God! We are saved! We are secure! We are safe! FOREVER! Eternal life is the only kind that God gives and not to have it is not to be saved!