Temple Baptist Church - 1-7-2018
A. As I was contemplating the New Year, Genesis 1:1 turned on like a light bulb.
1. I love the Book of Genesis because it answers the questions plaguing the scientists of our day. All that they teach seems to gender more questions that give answers as their theories are constantly changing because true science does not bear them up.
2. Genesis is so rich because it is the Seedbed of the Bible, therefore, it is full of First Mentions.
B. Last week, I preached on “This Is The Beginning.”
1. The Bible begins with the words “In the beginning.” There are so many applications that can be made but, first, there needs to be interpretation. This phrase describes what is called a “True Beginning,” or a beginning from which something was created from nothing.
2. Nothing cannot create anything so, if there was nothing and then there was the universe, then something miraculous had to have taken place.
3. Stephen Hawking, one of the most followed physicists, tries to circumvent God by his theory of the beginning:
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing," he writes. "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.” (That is one foolish statement! Nothing cannot create something. If I hold nothing in my hand forever, there will still be nothing in my hand! It is of no wonder that God said that the fool hath said in his heart there is no God. Interesting that he uses the word “create.” To bring something into existence that would not naturally evolve. Matter cannot be created nor destroyed. Only God could begin the universe from nothing!)
1. God. 1:1 In the beginning, there was God. As we begin 2018, He will still be God! As Dr. S. M. Lockridge so eloquently put it: “You can't get Him out of your mind. You can't get Him off of your hands. You can't outlive Him, and you can't live without Him.” I see the “fingerprint” of God in all nature. He will be there. This is my Father’s world.
Deuteronomy 33:27 The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them.
2. Sovereignty. 1:1 In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth. He sought no advice because He needed no advice, neither was there anyone to advise Him. As we begin 2018, it would do us well to remember that God is a sovereign God who will do as He wills. Nothing can exist nor can anything act without His permission.
Romans 11:33-34 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! (34) For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
3. Power. 1:3 “And God said.” In the beginning, we find the unlimited power of God. Power belongs to God and, in 2018, there will be nothing impossible for Him to do. What will you face? What will you need?
Psalms 62:11 God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.
Ephesians 3:20-21 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, (21) Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
4. Order. 1:4 “It was good.” In the beginning, God designed everything and said that it was very good. There are no hybrids, n0 intermediate species, no cross pollination. In the beginning, everything brought forth after its own kind. God said that this was so and it continues until this day. All of our variety of plants and trees live together but remain different. Animals live together but remain different. Birds live together but remain different. Fish live together but remain different. God is a God of order. He will order our steps and our lives. The steps of a good man are ordered of the Lord. All things were done well and with purpose. 2018 will be a year of God’s design as He will fulfill His purpose.
1 Corinthians 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.
5. Perpetuality. 1:14 “Signs … seasons … days … years.” In the beginning, what God set forth continues to this day. As we begin this year with God, we will end it with Him. By the grace of God, we will neither fail nor fall. The sun will come up each morning in the east and go down that night in the west. We will have winter, spring, summer and fall! We do not have to move to another planet as some foolish men believe. See how Climate Change and Global Warming are working out and how little that we now hear about it. We can and will live here until God determines otherwise.
Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
6. Failure. 3:6 “And he did eat” “ In the beginning, there was failure. In 2018, there will be times when we fail God. As much as we desire to be like Him, there will be failures and disappointments. These are a part of life and, as long as we live in this old sinful flesh, sin will dwell with us. Failure is a part of our humanity. Never give up! When you fall, JUST GET UP!
Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Proverbs 24:16 For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.
7. Forgiveness. 3:21 “Coats of skins” In the beginning, God made an atonement for the sin of Adam and, in 2018, we have the precious blood of Christ applied! When, not if, we fail—there will be the forgiveness of God!
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Conclusion: I look forward to a great year in 2018!
Romans 8:31-32 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? (32) He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?