Temple Baptist Church - 8-6-2017
A. Tonight, I want to look at the Gospel for a few minutes. Paul declared that he was not ashamed of the gospel. This tells me that there are some who are!
1. I have heard biblical salvation called “slaughterhouse religion.”
2. Over the years, there have been those who have minimized the importance of the blood of Christ in salvation.
3. There have been those who have taken the songs about the blood of Christ out of their songbooks.
4. There are so-called “bibles” that have removed some references to the blood.
5. My advice is to leave the gospel alone!
B. As Paul begins this doctrinal book to the Romans, he begins with the gospel. The gospel is the foundation of salvation and, if you do not get the foundation right, all else is religious vanity. Jesus is the ONLY way of salvation and to try to go to heaven any other way is to be eternally lost.
C. Paul declares his undying allegiance to the gospel in verse 16-17. I want to declare my undying allegiance to that same gospel tonight. This may sound like “preaching to the choir,” but we need to remember what God did for each of us. Salvation is personal and I take it personally!
D. In relation to the gospel, there some things that Paul was not ashamed of:
1. Paul was not ashamed of the Person of the Gospel! If you are ashamed of the gospel, you are ashamed of the Person of the gospel. Jesus Christ, God’s only Son loved us enough to become man and die in our place.
Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
2. Paul was not ashamed of the Price of the Gospel! If you are ashamed of the gospel, you are ashamed of the blood that was shed. Jesus Christ shed His own blood for our redemption.
Hebrews 13:12 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.
3. Paul was not ashamed of the Perfection of the Gospel! It was a finished work. Nothing to be added and nothing can be taken away. So many religions teach personal merit for salvation. I am glad mine is anchored in what Jesus Christ did!
1 Corinthians 15:3-4 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; (4) And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
4. Paul was not ashamed of the Preaching of the Gospel! It is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth, Jew or Gentile. It still works! We do not need programs or entertainment; we do not need the wisdom of words or great oration; we need the preaching of the gospel.
1 Corinthians 1:17-18 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. (18) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
5. Paul was not ashamed of the People of the Gospel! They are the greatest people on planet earth. We are family.
Revelation 1:5-6 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, (6) And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
6. Paul was not ashamed of the Purchase of the Gospel! I love the church! I fell in love with God’s people when I got saved. So many sing “O How I Love Jesus” but are not faithful to His church. They are not faithful in their tithe. They are not faithful to witness. They are not faithful to live for Christ.
Ephesians 5:25-27 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; (26) That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, (27) That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
7. Paul was not ashamed of the Pardon of the Gospel! I stand before you tonight forgiven. My sins are gone! I have been bought with a price and am thankful.
Psalms 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
8. Paul was not ashamed of the Prize of the Gospel! One day just like today and it could be today, I will step on shore and find it heaven, touch a hand and find it God’s, breathe new air and find it celestial, wake up in glory, finally home!
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: (17) Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (18) Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
Conclusion: I too am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ!