Temple Baptist Church - 4-2-2017
A. As Resurrection Sunday approaches this year, our hearts and minds naturally turn back Calvary.
1. Where the love of God met the need of sinful man.
2. Where the ultimate price was paid for our redemption.
B. Romans 5:8 is one of the more notable and quotable verses expressing:
1. The love of God the Father for sinful man. “But God commendeth his love toward us”
2. The love that compelled our Saviour to go to the cross. “Christ died for us.
3. The love for sinners that goes beyond our comprehension. “While we were yet sinners!”
4. The love of the saints for God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. “And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.”
C. One of the most blessed truths found in the Bible is that of the love of God for sinners. Romans 5:8 may well be one of the most noted and often quoted verses of scripture but is also one of the least comprehended.
1. When I see the world, I see the sin and sorrow that permeates it. My heart is saddened by what is taking place in the world and across this great nation this morning. With the reject of spiritual light comes great spiritual darkness.
2. When God sees the world, He sees sinners in need of the Saviour! As we get closer to Christmas, our hearts should be joyful because of the gift of God given on that night some 2,000 years ago.
D. Though we can never fully comprehend the love of Calvary, we experience it.
Ephesians 3:17-19 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, (18) May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; (19) And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. (I have often referred to this words as knowing the unknowable! Comprehending the incomprehensible!)
1. Calvary’s Love is an All-Inclusive Love! 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
a. His love is from Pole to Pole. His love is from the East to the West. His love is from Wall to Wall. The Love of God covers every man, every woman, every child, everywhere.
b. There are none exempt and there are none excluded! There is not a race, color, or creed rejected! His love is for the whole world! I cannot understand it, but I believe it!
2. Calvary’s Love is a Longsuffering Love! Psalms 86:15 But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.
a. God’s love is not only universal in its scope; it is longsuffering in its forbearance. God is compassionate, gracious, longsuffering, and merciful. I did not deserve to receive it nor do I deserve to keep it.
b. The Lord has been far better to me than I deserve and I am eternally grateful for it. I cannot understand it, but I have seen it!
3. Calvary’s Love is a Personal Love – 1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
a. The wickedest man in the world is a candidate for His great salvation. It matters not what you have done; it matters not what you have thought; it matters not where you came from!
b. His love goes to the deepest in sin and despair. I cannot understand it, but I have received it!
4. Calvary’s Love is an All-Covering Love! Romans 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
a. His wonderful love is far greater than all our sin put together. God’s gracious love is always there and you cannot sin your salvation away.
b. He will forgive 70 times 7 and never exhaust his love or forgiveness. He has loved us with an everlasting love. I cannot understand it, but I have experienced it!
Conclusion: On the night of our Lord’s birth, the angel said, “Good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people!” It is the Lord’s desire that all people know and experience the love of God which the angel spoke of on that night.