Temple Baptist Church - 3-2-2016
A. As we continue to study in the Book of Jude, we find the exhortation to “earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.” This is the battle cry of the fundamental Bible believing Christian. We are in a war both without and within over the inerrancy and infallibility of the Scripture.
1. Without because of the quest of the unbelievers to make money from the printing of bibles. Religion has become big money in our day as the tele-evangelists, gospel music groups, and bible printers battle for riches.
2. Within from lost and or liberal theologians when are constantly undermining the foundation upon which all that we believe rests: the Bible.
B. This attack upon inerrancy and infallibility is as old as time itself because it began in Genesis 3. Satan attacked the Word of God in the Garden of Eden and has not let up to this day. His attack upon the Word of God is a direct attack upon the person of God. A man is only as good as his word and the same can be said about the Lord. To destroy one’s confidence in the Bible is to destroy one’s confidence in God. Satan’s attack is:
1. It Was A Demonic Attack – 3:1 “serpent”
2. It Was A Deliberate Attack – 3:1 “he said unto the woman”
3. It Was A Deceptive Attack – 3:1 “subtil”
4. It Was A Directed Attack – 3:1 “Yea, hath God said”
5. It Was A Determined Attack – 3:4-5 “Ye shall not surely die”
6. It Was A Divisive Attack – 3:8 “Adam and his wife hid themselves”
7. It Was A Destructive Attack – 3:16-17 “sorrow”
C. Satan’s continued attack upon God’s Word is a “manned” attack. Throughout the New Testament, we find the infiltration of wolves in sheep’s clothing. The false prophets of the Old testament were replaced by the false teachers of our day. “Rabbi, Rabbi!” Teacher, teacher! These false brethren attack:
1. The Preservation of God’s Word - Psalms 12:6-7 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. (7) Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
2. The Inspiration of God’s Word - 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
3. The Purity of God’s Word - Psalms 119:140 Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.
4. The Veracity of God’s Word - John 8:31-32 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; (32) And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
5. The Singularity of God’s Word - Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.