Temple Baptist Church - 10-7-2015
2 John 1-6
A. I have spent a few weeks preaching on the Truth of God’s Word as it is essential that we know both whom and what we have believed. Paul exhorted Timothy to continue in the things that he had learned, considering from whom he learned them.
1. Timothy learned from godly parents - 2 Timothy 1:5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
2. Timothy learned from godly men - 2 Timothy 3:14-15 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; (15) And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
B. I have been majoring on THE major because the truth is essential in both the lives of the unsaved and the saved. Satan has attacked the truth of God’s Word from the beginning and has effectively disillusioned many.
C. Tonight, I want to look at these verses because they hold forth the product of truth. In the Sermon on the Mount, our Lord made these statements concerning fruit bearing:
Matthew 7:15-20 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. (16) Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? (17) Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. (18) A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. (19) Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. (20) Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. (A good tree always brings forth good fruit while evil trees produce evil fruit. Unfortunately, we live in the last days where good is evil spoken of and the evil trees of ungodly “bibles” have produced nothing but evil fruit. Few there be that find the real tree of God’s Word that produces the good fruit of spirituality.)
D. In verse 6, we find the will of God is to walk in truth and, in verse 4, God’s children doing so. The word “walking” or “walk” is found 3x in verses 4-6.
1. Truth is not just something that we study and believe; it is to be the motivating force in our lives as children of God.
2. Truth is to be both known and shown.
1. Faith’s Love – Vs 1 – “I love in the truth” – You cannot love properly without loving within the parameters of the bible. The bond that holds us together is the bible! 1 Peter 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
2. Faith’s Liberty – Vs 1 – “they that have known the truth” – True Christian liberty comes through a knowledge and understanding of the bible. It is the bible that has truly made us free and given to us the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
3. Faith’s Contending – Vs 2 – “For the truth's sake” – One of the most important things that we will do doctrinally is to battle for the bible. If we fail to do so, it’s precepts will be lost to the next generation. The liberals do not want us to contend for the KJB. The world does not want us to contend for the KJB. The devil does not want us to contend for the KJB! Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: (20) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
2 Timothy 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
4. Faith’s Engrafting – Vs 2 – “which dwelleth in us” – Psalm 119 speaks of hiding God’s Word in our heart as to keep us from sin. The Word of God enters into our ears and heart by faith. To graft in means to become a living part of you such as a skin graft or the grafting in of a tree branch. The Word of God becomes a part of us and makes us what we are. James 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
5. Faith’s Fidelity – Vs 2 – “shall be with us for ever” – As our Lord will never leave us nor forsake us, so His Word will not leave us. 1 John 2:14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, andthe word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.
6. Faith’s Comfort – Vs 3 – “Grace be with you, mercy, and peace” – It is within God’s Word that we find the grace, mercy, and peace that we need in the trials of life. I have found great comfort in God’s Word. Proverbs 3:1-2 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: (2) For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
7. Faith’s Continuance – Vs 4 – “thy children walking in truth” – It is the truth that leads and guides us through this veil of tears. Thank God for the bible! Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.