Temple Baptist Church - 6-2-2013
A. Most of the time, we thank God for His bountiful, temporal blessings and we have truly been blessed.
1. These blessings are more of a physical, therefore of a temporal nature. No doubt we thank the Lord every day for our salvation, but as we look around us, we see just how good God has been to us physically.
2. Physical health, America and the freedoms we enjoy, family, friends, homes, automobiles, the clothes on our backs, and food aplenty!
B. In verse 11, we see the First Advent in “the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men!” He came the first time to seek and to save. Thank God for the gift of His Son and the eternal life that comes through faith in the gospel.
C. In verse 13, we see the promise of His Second Advent in “Looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing. He will come the second time to receive His own, judge the world, and set up His earthly kingdom.
D. Titus 2:1 says, “But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine.” These powerful verses tell of God’s great love for mankind and His great desire for His own. I want to look at these verses this morning and see “Five Wonderful Things” for which we can truly be grateful.
1. A Wonderful Saviour – vs. 13 (What a wonderful Saviour He is to me!)
Titus 3:4-7 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
a. A Sending Father – John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (What a wonder that God would send His Son to die for sinful man.)
Romans 5:6-9 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. (7) For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. (8) But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (9) Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
b. A Seeking Saviour – Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost. (He loves me; He loves me; He loves me this I know! I will never understand why but will always be grateful. What a wonderful Lord and Saviour!)
1 John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
2. A Wonderful Grace – vs. 11 Grace: probably the most misunderstood of all doctrines! I wonder what it is about grace that confuses people. Grace is simply unmerited favor! It cannot be bought nor can it be wrought. What a wonderful thought! He loves even me! He loves me as I am! He will always love me!
a. Our text for this morning is concerning the absolutely amazing grace of God.
1) Our life in Christ is all about grace as there is not a just man in all the earth that doeth good and sinneth not! Therefore, our life in Christ MUST begin in grace.
2) Our life in Christ continues in grace as we live for Him in this present evil world. It is “Teaching grace” that manifests itself in a wonderful change of life; helps us through the trials and tribulations of this life; and causes us to remain faithful in the midst of change and decay that “all around I see.”
3) Our life in Christ ends in grace as God gives us a blessed peace to die that comes only through the knowledge of Him. “Grace not yet discovered” is that grace that causes God’s people to not only live well but to die well.
4) Our eternity manifests itself in the wonderful Grace of God. The heavens now declare it and eternity will show it.
b. Seen In A Manger - 1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
Luke 1:46-47 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, 47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
c. Seen At Calvary - Mark 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Philippians 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3. A Wonderful Conversion – vs. 14 What a wonderful change has been wrought!
a. Redemption - Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Romans 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
b. Sanctification - Ephesians 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
4. A Wonderful People – vs. 14 The most wonderful people in all of the world!
a. A Peculiar People – 1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
b. A Zealous People - Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
1 Timothy 6:18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;
Titus 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
5. A Wonderful Prospect – vs. 13 I will live forever in Heaven with Him!
a. A Hope That Is Sure – “Looking for” - John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
Psalms 102:16 When the LORD shall build up Zion, he shall appear in his glory.
1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
b. A Future That Is Secure – “blessed hope” - 1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
Revelation 21:3-7 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. 5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. 6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. 7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
Conclusion: The grace of God never ceases to amaze me and gives great meaning to the song “Amazing Grace!”