Temple Baptist Church - 4-7-2013
1 Timothy 6:17-19
A. Here at Temple Baptist, we do not have “rich people” who attend. It seems that all of the doctors, lawyers, business owners, executives, CEO’s, etc. always join one of the 3 “first” churches downtown. Why?
1. One, because the bible, in 1 Corinthians 1:26-29, says “For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence.”
2. I am not saying that all of these are unsaved but, the bible says that most probably are not! Mark 10:25-27 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. (26) And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? (27) And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.
3. Thank the Lord, there are some men of money, position, or power that come to the Lord. Most of these will seek a good bible preaching church which leads me to the second reason.
4. Two, because these rich people are seeking the prestigious churches that can advance their business interests. “Birds of a feather” still “flock together” and rich folks “hobnob” with rich folks as a general rule.
5. Three, because bible believing, bible preaching churches “have too much for them!” Most people are looking for a church where nothing is expected from them and they can do as they please in comfort.
B. Now, I am through with that crowd. It would be a blessing to world missions if they were here but we certainly would not want them to be uncomfortable. If they had been here tonight, I would have hit them but—since they will not come to us, I am going to apply tonight’s verses to you and me! You may think, “Preacher, I am not rich!” But, you are so wrong.
C. By the world’s standards, Americans are rich! I have lived in Germany (an industrialized nation) and have visited third world nations. In the nations that I have visited and lived in, there has been none that can compare to the USA. We are the standard for wealth and comfortable living! America is a utopia in the eyes of the world and that is why we are the largest nation of immigrants in the world.
D. Now, let us apply these verses.
1. Do not be proud. “be not highminded” Thank God for all that you have while remembering that all came from Him. We are given health, opportunity, jobs, etc. by the Lord. Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
2. Trust not in uncertain riches. “trust not in uncertain riches” Proverbs 23:4-5 Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom. (5) Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.
Job 1:21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.
3. Trust the Lord. “but in the living God” Psalms 146:3-5 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help. (4) His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish. (5) Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:
4. Enjoy the blessings that the Lord has given to you. “who giveth us richly all things to enjoy” Ecclesiastes 2:24 There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God.
5. Remember the work of the Lord. “That they do good” Hebrews 13:16 But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
6. Use the finances that you have in the Lord’s work. “ready to distribute, willing to communicate” 1 Corinthians 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
7. Seek heavenly treasures over temporal ones. “Laying up in store” Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.