Temple Baptist Church - 9-12-2012
A. It is unfortunate that Paul had to once again deal with division within the local church. If there is one organization on this earth that should have unity, it is the local church. I preach on the subject at least a couple of times a year because, preaching through books, it is in the context and the need is always an argument or hurt feeling away!
1. We are all here because of what Someone else did for us!
2. We are all members of His body by the New Birth and thus family.
3. We have all experienced the love and forgiveness of Christ.
4. We have all got work to do in the Lord’s perishing harvest.
5. As adults that are Christian, we have to maintain a godly testimony in front of our children, family, friends, and neighbors.
B. All of the lodges, moose’s and the goose’s, etc. get along just fine and rarely split but Satan attacks the local church from both the outside and from within. Satan full well knows that the “house divided against itself” works both ways. Our Lord was saying that if Satan’s house was divided it would fall but Satan knows this tactic also and uses it effectively.
Matthew 12:29-30 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house. (30) He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
1. He enters the house. He enters through us, not an enemy!
2. He binds the strong man. He binds through division!
3. He spoils the goods. He takes all that is valuable to us!
C. Just a “shorty” tonight but I want to look at the goods Satan spoils when division becomes a problem in the church.
1. Our worship of the Lord is hindered.
2. Our striving together in prayer is hindered.
3. Our atmosphere of sweet fellowship is hindered.
4. Our purpose in missions is hindered.
5. Our homes and our children began to pay the price.
6. Our loving Saviour is grieved.
7. Our personal peace and tranquility is gone.