Temple Baptist Church - 8-28-2011
A. The Book of Daniel and the Book of Revelation go hand-in-hand. Daniel prophesies concerning the last days while Revelation explains them. Daniel was a sealed book to the Jews because the prophecy was not for them. Daniel is now an open book because we live in the end times.
B. There are several things that Daniel describes in these verses:
1. The Rapture of The Church – vs 1 “thy people shall be delivered…written in the book”
2. The Revelation of Jacob’s Trouble – vs 1 “a time of trouble”
3. The Resurrection of The Saved – vs 2 “some to everlasting life”
4. The Resurrection of The Lost – vs 2 “shame and everlasting contempt”
C. For a few minutes, I want to look at the phrase “And They That Be Wise.” One of the things that I see in our day is a lack of wisdom. You that are a little older have witnessed the death of common sense. People are more educated today than any other generation and, yet, have little or no common or “horse” sense. I use the word educated loosely because what is coming out of the modern school system is “programing” more than “educating.”
D. There is a great difference between spiritual wisdom and the wisdom of this world. God said that His wisdom is foolishness to man and man’s wisdom is foolishness to Him. My definition of spiritual wisdom is found in a verse in James. James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. (This Is Foolishness!) Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it, to him it is wisdom!
E. WISDOM - The right use or exercise of knowledge; the choice of laudable ends, and of the best means to accomplish them. In Scripture theology, wisdom is true religion; godliness; piety; the knowledge and fear of God, and sincere and uniform obedience to his commands. This is the wisdom which is from above. (We need to understand that Wisdom in not Knowledge nor is it Intellect. Wisdom is the right application of knowledge!)
1. There is Wisdom in God’s Word - 2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
2. There is Wisdom is A Godly Walk - Ephesians 5: 14-17 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
F. What is a spiritually “wise person?” Let us look at just a few verses in the book of wisdom, Proverbs.
1. A Wise Man Will Come To Christ For Salvation – Daniel 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
a. It Is Either Everlasting Life Where They Shall Shine (or)
b. It Is Everlasting Shame And Contempt Where They Shall Burn
Ezekiel 33:11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
2. A Wise Man Will Hear The Word Of God – Proverbs 1:5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
a. The Wise Will Hear God’s Word
b. The Foolish Will Turn A Deaf Ear To God’s Word
3. A Wise Man Will Be Diligent In His Work – Proverbs 10:5 He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame.
a. The Provision Of Hard Work
b. The Poverty Of The Slothful
4. A Wise Man Will Obey God’s Word – Proverbs 10:8-9 The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall. He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known.
a. The Obedient Will Walk In Surety And Safety
b. The Disobedient Will Fall And Manifest His Folly
5. A Wise Man Will Be Careful With His Words – Proverbs 10:19 In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.
“Never leave your tongue in gear when your brain is idling!”
Proverbs 21:23 Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.
6. A Wise Man Will Win Souls – Proverbs 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
Daniel 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
Ezekiel 3:18-19 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.
7. A Wise Man Will Flee From Sin – Proverbs 14:16 A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident.
a. The Wise Know The Penalty Of Sin – “feareth”
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death;
b. The Wise Know The Enticement Of Sin – “departeth”
Proverbs 3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. (contrast with)
Proverbs 13:19 The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul: but it is abomination to fools to depart from evil.