Temple Baptist Church - 1-12-2011
A. In these verses that we have been preaching through, we find the purpose of teaching the Word of God and doctrine to God’s people.
1. The Purpose of Spiritual Growth - Perfecting
2. The Purpose of Equipping For Service – Work of the ministry
3. The Purpose of Strengthening The Church – Edifying of the body
4. The Purpose of Safeguarding Against Apostasy – Tossed … carried
5. The Purpose of Compacting The Body – Fitly joined together
B. In Matthew 28:18-20, we find the command to teach “all things” and this takes a variety of teaching ministries. In the local New Testament church, I find:
1. The God Called Teacher - Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; (The elder or pastor is to be “apt to teach” in order to be qualified. If a pastor cannot teach his people, he will be ineffective in the ministry of “perfecting” the saints. They will remain children spiritually.)
2. The Gifted Teacher - Romans 12:6-8 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; (7) Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; (8) Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness. (Among the many gifts given to the church are those who can both rightly divide the word of truth and articulate what they have studied to others. We have classes for all ages because people have to be taught on their age or level of understanding.)
3. The Grown Up Teacher (Mature Christian men and women)
a) Spiritually Mature Men - 2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. (Women are not to teach men - 1 Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.)
b) Spiritually Mature Women - Titus 2:3-5 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; (4) That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, (5) To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. (Young women need to be taught by older, godly women who not only know right but also behave right!)
The Necessities Of Teaching
1. The Priority Of Teaching
a. It’s Prominence – the word “teaching” in one form or another is used 178X while “preaching” in one form or another is used only 153X. The Great Commission contains both preaching and teaching.
b. It’s Position – is one of the gifts of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:28-31).
c. It’s Power – it is God’s way of influencing our next generation of leaders. Timothy is a prime example of being taught by both his mother and grandmother (1 Timothy 1:1-5) as well as men of God (2 Timothy 3:15).
2. The Profile Of The Teacher.
a. Efficient In The Word—It is the source of truth and knowledge.
b. Enthusiastic in the work.
1) A mediocre teacher tells.
2) A good teacher explains.
3) A better teacher demonstrates.
4) A great teacher inspires.
c. Exemplar in his or her ways.
3. The Purpose Of Teachers.
a. The Perfecting of the Christian – “perfecting of the saints”
b. The Performing of the Commission – “work of the ministry”
c. The Profiting of the Church – “edifying of the body of Christ”
4. The Promise To The Teachers.
a. The Word will not return Void (Isaiah 55:10-11)
b. The Work is not in Vain (1 Corinthians 15:58)
The Qualities Of Teachers:
1. They Must Be Saved! This may seem trite but I have known a lot of churches that have placed people in positions as teachers who had no clear testimony of salvation! I have also seen men and women who had no testimony teaching young men and women to follow their worldly ways.
1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
2. The Must Be Faithful! I do not want teachers who are unfaithful to the church! If they do not have enough God in them to be faithful, they do not have enough God in them to teach. Faithfulness is a requirement for stewardship and teaching is a stewardship. (Stewardship is an administration or dispensation.)
1 Corinthians 4:1-2 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. (2) Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
Proverbs 25:19 Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble is like a broken tooth, and a foot out of joint.
3. They Must Be Godly! Teachers teach by example as much as they do by word. The world says “Do as I say, not as I do.” The Bible says “Do as I do!” We want our young men and women to know what God says about their deportment. We need young men who will make godly, gracious, good and loving husbands and fathers. We need young women who will make godly, gracious, chaste, and loving wives and mothers. Young people who will structure their homes after a biblical pattern and raise their children for the Lord, not the world.
1 Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.