Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Word Made Flesh

Temple Baptist Church - 12-26-2010

John 1:1-14; 1 John 1:1-4

Introduction:

A. Over the past couple of weeks, we have said much about the birth of Christ and what He did for us through the incarnation. He sought us; He bought us; He convicted us; He illuminated us; He convinced us; He graciously saved us; He marvelously keeps us; He abides within us; He works through us; He protects us; He provides for us; He guides us; He succors us; and, one day, He is coming for us! That will preach!!

B. For a few minutes this morning, I want to look once again at the Lord Jesus Christ. I do not think that I can preach enough about Him. I do not think that I will ever understand everything about Him. I do know that He is a once in all eternity Person! There was none before Him; there is none like Him; there is none beside Him; and there will never be one after Him! He was that He was; He is that He is; and He will be what He will be!

C. Having said all of that, let us look at these few verses. In John 1, we find the manifestation of the Lord Jesus Christ in verse 14. In 1 John 1, we find the manifestation of Jesus Christ. The Apostles knew Him:

1. They Heard Him – John 7:46 The officers answered, Never man spake like this man. We Heard Him - Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

2. They Saw Him – John 20:27-28 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. We Have Not Seen And Yet Believe - 1 Peter 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

3. They Handled Him – Luke 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. We Have Handled Him - 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

D. John 1:1-14 has perhaps the best description of who our Lord Jesus was as well as what He became and came to do. I just want to lift up His name for a few minutes this morning. He certainly is worthy of both our praise and our preaching. Dr. Harold Sightler taught us “preacher boys” to preach Christ. He often told us to never stray far from the cross for it was the preaching of Christ and Him crucified that would win the world to God.

1. Vs. 1-2 – His Person - We See Christ As God! He is the eternal God and the only true God!

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Exodus 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. (I AM comes from a root word that simply means “to exist!” All that I can say about God is that HE IS! The world can accept Him or reject Him but that does not change the fact that HE IS!! When this world is gone and time is no more HE IS!!)

2. Vs. 3 – His Power - We See Christ As Creator – Jesus Christ is the Jehovah God of the Old Testament, the Creator of all things. Don’t take my word for it. Take God’s Word for it.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God (that’s HIM) created the heaven and the earth.

Psalms 33:6 By the word of the LORD (that’s HIM) were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his (that’s HIM) mouth.

Colossians 1:16-17 For by him (that’s HIM) were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him (that’s HIM), and for him (that’s HIM): 17 And he (that’s HIM) is before all things, and by him (that’s HIM) all things consist.

Hebrews 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son(that’s HIM), whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom (that’s HIM) also he made the worlds; (All I can say is that HE DID IT! I do not have to understand it to believe it! I know that the Word of God declares that He formed the heavens and the earth through the spoken Word of His mouth and I believe it. HE DID IT!! Nothing has been created since He DID IT! Matter can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be changed!)

3. Vs. 4-5 – His Purpose - We See Christ As Life! It is because of the very breath of God that you and I live. He is our mortal Life! He is our spiritual Life! It is through Him that we believe!

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

1 John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; [and] he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. (Without Him, there is no life. Without Him no life could possible exist! You may have physical life ([and that came from Him] but without Him you have no spiritual life. You are dead in trespasses and sins!)

4. Vs. 6-9 – His Purity - We See Christ As Light! I want to say this morning that He is THE LIGHT, not a light! THE LIGHT that shines through this sin darkened world to point the wandering sinner to Himself!

1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Psalms 18:28 For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness. (To have Christ is to have Light, to not have Christ is to live a life of total darkness!)

5. Vs. 10-14 – His Pre-eminence - We See Christ As Saviour! If you e

ver get to Heaven, it will through Jesus Christ!

Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Isaiah 43:11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me [there is] no saviour.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. (Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour! All of my hope is found in Him! He is my eternal Life!)

Conclusion: What a wonderful Saviour is Jesus my Lord! Do you know Him this morning?


No comments: