Temple Baptist Church - 8-22-2010
Jonah 3:1-10; Nahum 1:1-3; 3:1-19
A. Nineveh was an exceedingly wicked city of great proportions. It was a three day journey from one side of it to the other. In the Book of Jonah, Jonah was called by God to go and cry against the wickedness of the city. He refused and later went under duress. He preached the impending destruction of the city and the city got right with the Lord from the king to the pauper. God graciously spared Nineveh though the prophet Jonah grieved.
B. Nineveh was an idolatrous city. Nineveh was known for the goddess Ishtar (goddess of war, fertility, love, and sex). Her “temple” was noted for its courtesans and “sacred prostitutes.” In Ishtar’s youth, she was noted for her relationship with Tammuz (the savior-fertility sun god who annually resurrected). In Ezekiel 8:14, the Bible says that “He brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD'S house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.”
C. The Book of Nahum was written some 150 years later. In the space of that 150 years, Nineveh had corrupted itself to the point of no return in chapter 3:19
D. Her numerous sins were identified to show the holiness and justice of God. Full of lies and robbery, whoredoms, witchcrafts, her people were like women.” In 150 years, they went from great revival to total apostasy. God said that there was no longer a remedy for their sin and that judgment was imminent.
E. Sounds like America does it not? A nation founded under “In God We Trust” to a nation that our president said was no longer a “Christian nation!” From great revivals (The Great Awakening, the Westley Brothers, George Whitfield, Dwight Moody, Billy Sunday, and etc.) to almost total apostasy. Sinfulness permeates our nation, apostasy permeates “Christendom,” and apathy has filled our churches. Good is evil spoken of and evil is called good. Our nation is in a mess and if she does not repent and turn to God, God will turn her into Hell! He has so promised!
F. I am not saying that it is too late for America but I am saying that God will judge America for her sins!
WHY GOD WILL JUDGE AMERICA!
1. God Will Judge America For Her Rejection Of Biblical Law. (Our courts have ruled against the God of Heaven time and time again with their wicked decisions!)
2. God Will Judge America For Their Ungodly Life Style. (A Hollywood style of lasciviousness and plural marriages has permeated and destroyed our moral structure.)
3. God Will Judge America For Her Slaughter Of The Innocents. (Reprobate doctors have ruthlessly slaughtered Millions of innocents with both the sanction of our judicial system and pro-choice proponents!)
4. God Will Judge America For Her Acceptance Of Sodomy. (Sodomites have not only become socially acceptable but, also God has been blamed for their debauchery and reprobate lifestyle!)
5. God Will Judge America For Her Conspiracy To Give Away Israel’s Homeland. (America has tried to use their economic influence to bring about an unbiblical peace in Israel by giving away the land that God gave to them in Genesis 13:15! Nations will be judged according to their relationship with Israel and agreement with God’s will regarding the Jew.)
6. God Will Judge America For Her Squandering Of His National Blessings. (The Lord raised up America and has made it the most wonderful land on earth, truly a land flowing with mild and honey, and has been rewarded with unthankfulness and ungodliness!)
7. God Will Judge America For Her Spiritual Lukewarmness. (God’s people are worldly and Laodicean to the hilt! They have no love for either the Lord or the lost!)
8. God Will Judge America For Her Liberal Compromised Churches. (The local church has become more like the world than the world more like the church! Compromised pulpits and dead, ritualistic liturgies! GOD IS NOT THE LEAST BIT IMPRESSED!)