Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Glory Of The Cross Of Christ!

Temple Baptist Church - 3-3-2010

Galatians 6:14

Introduction:

A. In verse 14, We find a two-fold work of the Cross. There is the crucifixion of the Christian to the world and there is the crucifixion of the world to the Christian. One has to do with our salvation and the other with our sanctification. In both, the glory is in the Cross and not in the Christian!


B. Last week, we saw that the Apostle Paul gloried in the cross of Christ because of its saving power: “By whom the world is crucified unto me.” It is only through the cross of Christ that we have hope of eternal life.

C. Tonight, I want to look at the sanctifying power of the cross of Christ. “And I unto the world.” We, as Bible believers understand the true meaning of sanctification as it applies to our position, lives, and eternal hope.

D. It is imperative that we understand the order of the cross. It is always salvation first and then sanctification. Sanctification always follows salvation as we become new creatures in Christ Jesus. I read a sign once which said, “You catch them and let God clean them.”

E. There are three separate and distinct steps to sanctification, dealing with our position, life, and blessed hope:

1. Positional Sanctification speaks of our position and does away with the Penalty of sin as we are placed into the Body of Christ by the baptism of the Holy Ghost. Romans 6:3-4 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether [we be] Jews or Gentiles, whether [we be] bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

2. Progressive Sanctification speaks of our life in Christ and does away with the Power of sin. 2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

3. Permanent Sanctification speaks of our Blessed Hope which delivers us from the Presence of sin. 1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

F. The Cross Of The Christian

1. It Is A Cross Of Duty - Matthew 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

1 Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.

2. It Is A Cross Of Denial - Mark 8:34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

3. It Is A Cross Of Discipleship - Luke 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Luke 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

4. It Is A Cross Of Distinction - Hebrews 13:12-13 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

5. It Is A Cross Of Determination - Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

G. If any man had something to “glory in” it was the Apostle Paul! What a great man of God he was! Very little negative things are said concerning his life and ministry and he was certainly greatly used of God.

H. The cross of Christ not only saved Paul but it also changed him forever.

THE SANCTIFYING POWER OF THE CROSS

1. Paul got “old fashioned” saved - Acts 9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord [said] unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

2. Paul was a man sold out to God - Philippians 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and [my] hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but [that] with all boldness, as always, [so] now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether [it be] by life, or by death.

3. Paul was a man who counted his earthly possessions as “dung” - Philippians 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things [but] loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them [but] dung, that I may win Christ.

4. Paul was a man who was not afraid to die for the cause of Christ – Philippians 1:21 For to me to live [is] Christ, and to die [is] gain.

5. Paul was a man who knew who he was - 1 Timothy 1:15 This [is] a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

6. He was a man not ashamed of his Lord. (“nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed.”)

7. Paul was a man of determination - Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

8. Paul was a man who knew suffering - Galatians 6:17 From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

9. Paul was a man convinced - 2 Corinthians 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding [and] eternal weight of glory;

10. Paul was a man possessed of a hope - Philippians 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

Psalms 17:15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

2 Timothy 4:7-8 I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith: 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Conclusion: When we are saved, we are saved forever. Praise the Lord for eternal life! When we are saved, we are also changed forever. Praise the Lord for a new life in Christ!

No comments: