Temple Baptist Church - 8-16-2009
Introduction: A few weeks ago, I preached a message on Fornication: Why Not To Commit It. Now I want to preach on Fornication: How Not To Commit It. Often we tell people what not to do without telling them how to avoid doing it.
A. There has been a great move in the past few years in churches to get young people to sign pledges of purity.
B. It is certainly an issue of great important in an impure society. (By some estimates, over 60% of teenagers have lost their purity before High School graduation.)
C. Many times young people sign these purity pacts, but are not shown from the Bible how to remain pure.
1. Failure To Remain Pure Will Destroy Your Testimony - 1 Corinthians 5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father’s wife.
a) Impurity Tarnishes Your Character
b) Impurity Destroys Your Health
c) Impurity Shames Your Family
d) Impurity Hurts Your Church
Ephesians 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
2. Failure To Remain Pure Will Haunt Your Conscience - 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
Titus 1:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
3. Failure To Remain Pure Will Hurt Your Marriage (Feelings Of Guilt Will Hurt Your Relationship With Your Spouse Because That Which Belongs to Them Has Been Given To Another)
1 Corinthians 7:4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.
4. Failure To Remain Pure Will Hinder Your Effectiveness (You Will Always Have An Instant Replay)
Job 20:11 His bones are full of the sin of his youth, which shall lie down with him in the dust.
Romans 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
A. The Description Of The Foolish – vs. 7
1. He Was Simple – Simple means foolish! - Proverbs 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
Ecclesiastes 11:10 Therefore remove sorrow from thy heart, and put away evil from thy flesh: for childhood and youth are vanity.
2. He Lacked Discernment – 7 – “young man” - A lack of perception! - Ezekiel 44:23 And they shall teach my people the difference between the holy and profane, and cause them to discern between the unclean and the clean.
Hebrews 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
3. He Was Void Of Understanding – He did not understand at all! - Psalms 119:104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
Psalms 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
B. The Descent Of The Foolish – vs. 8-9
1. He Knew Where She Lived – “her corner”
2. He Went To Where She Lived – her house”
3. He Did So On A Continual Basis – “twilight…evening…black and dark night” (His failure was progressive)
C. The Description Of The Seductress – vs. 10-12
1. Her Dress Was Seductive – “attire of an harlot”
2. Her Heart Was Subtle – “subtile of heart” – Deceptive
3. Her Attitude Was Rebellious – “loud…stubborn…abide not”
4. Her Kind Is Everywhere – “without…streets…every corner”
D. The Deceiving Of The Foolish – vs. 13-21
1. She Caught Him – vs. 13 - He was looking for her!
2. She Kissed Him – vs. 13 - Kisses are reserved for those who you love, not for strangers! This was the kiss of betrayal – Amasa, Judas
3. She Lied To Him – vs. 14-15 – She pretended to be right with the Lord!
4. She Tempted Him – vs. 16-21
a) Her Preparation – vs. 16
b) Her Perfume – vs. 17
c) Her Performance – vs. 18 – The pretense of love!
d) Her Persuasion – vs. 19-21 – You won’t get caught!
e. The Destruction Of The Foolish – vs. 22-27
1. Blinded To Sin – vs. 22
2. Blinded To Judgment – 22-23
A WONDERFUL ADMONITION – vs. 24-27
A. Fornication Is A Sin That Proceeds From A Wicked Heart - Matthew 15:18-19 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
B. Fornication Is A Sin Against The Body - 1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
C. Fornication Is A Sin That God Judges - Colossians 3:5-6 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
HOW TO STAY PURE!
1. Keep your thoughts pure - Proverbs 23:7a For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.
Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
2. Keep your eyes pure - 1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
Psalms 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me. (Stay away from pornography!)
Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
3. Make sure you keep the right company - Psalms 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. (Birds of a feather! Show me your friends and I will tell who you are!)
4. Stay away from areas of compromise. (Being alone with others of the opposite sex.) abstain for all appearance.
1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. (If it does not glorify God, leave it alone!)
5. Listen to your parents and pastor and seek their guidance - Proverbs 1:8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: (They love you and only want the best for you!)
Hebrews 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you. (I will be a real friend to you if you will let me!)
6. Hide the Word of God in your hearts - Psalms 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Either this Book will keep you from sin or sin will keep you from this Book!)
7. Commit to purity from this day on - Job 31:1 I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid? (Purity is both DESIRE and DETERMINATION!)