Temple Baptist Church - 1-25-2009
1 John 1:5-7
A. Over the past few months, I have been preaching on different conversions found in the bible. My emphasis has been this: though the people were different with different circumstances, each conversion was the same. All were saved the same way!
1. Salvation is in Christ alone!
2. Salvation is all of Grace!
3. Salvation is always life changing!
B. Now that we are saved and “all things are become new,” it behooves us to realizes that the life we now live is to lived for the glory of God. It is a walk of Obligation!
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
C. Turn to Ephesians 2 with me. In this much quoted chapter, we find:
1. Our Past Walk - Ephesians 2:1-3
a) A walk of bondage - 1
b) A walk of disobedience - 2
c) A walk of wrath - 3
2. Our Present Walk - Ephesians 2:4-10
a) A walk of liberty - 5
b) Walk of godliness - 6
c) A walk of choice - 10
D. Turn to Galatians 5 with me. Here we find a biblical look at the Christian walk.
1. There is a Walk – vs. 16 To walk in the Spirit, not with the Spirit! Obedience to the Inner Voice that God has given to us. He is our blessed Comforter and Companion. It is a walk of sensitivity, obedience, and self denial.
2. There is a War – vs. 17 There is a constant striving between our flesh and the Spirit. Our sinful flesh loves to have its way while the Holy Spirit is trying to help us gain victory over it.
3. There is a Witness – vs. 18-23 Our walk has changed!
Ephesians 2:1-3 And you [hath he quickened], who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
1. The Characteristics Of Our Walk – vs. 7-23
a. The Fruit Of The Flesh – Adultery, fornication, uncleanness (moral impurity), lasciviousness (unbridled lust or filth), idolatry, witchcraft (drugs [pharmacy] and magic, hatred, variance (strife, contention,or debate), emulations (to emulate, jealousy, or envy), wrath (boiling or anger out or control), seditions (divisions or dissention), heresies (the act of capturing by false doctrine), envying (to desire or corrupt through lust), murders (both in thought and deed), drunkenness (intoxication), revellings (nocturnal frolic or partying).
b. The Fruit Of The Spirit – love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith meekness, and temperance.
The Carnal Christian is afraid that he will “go too far.”
The Spiritual Christian is afraid he will not “go far enough”
The Carnal Christian is afraid of what “man will think”
The Spiritual Christian is afraid of what “God will think”
The Carnal Christian is “too earthly minded” to be of any heavenly use
The Spiritual Christian is “heavenly minded” enough to be of earthly use
The Carnal Christian worries about his earthly future and lays up for it
The Spiritual Christian worries about his heavenly future and lays up for it
2. The Conclusion Of Our Walk
a. The Fleshly Walk – “shall not inherit the kingdom of God!” (A Cursed Walk!)
b. The Spiritual Walk – “against such there is no law.!” (A Blessed Walk!)
1). A Rewarding Walk - Galatians 6:7-9 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. 9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
2) A Peaceful Walk - Romans 8:1-9 [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
3) A Joyful Walk - Romans 8:14-18 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. 18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.