Temple Baptist Church - 6-11-2008
2 Corinthians 8:1-15
Introduction: In these verses that I have read tonight, we find God’s program in missions set forth. Missions is a wonderful thing because it is God’s Plan for evangelization. Matthew 28:18-20. We have spent some time in these verses already, so tonight I will get down to the meat of the verses.
1. The Present of Missions - vs 1 - "bestowed"
A. Missions is a Gift Bestowed
B. Missions is a Grace Bestowed
2. The Poverty of Missions - vs 2 - "deep poverty"
A. Trials and Afflictions abounded unto Joy
B. Deep Poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality
3. The Paradox of Missions - vs 2 - "affliction-joy, poverty-riches"
A. They saw Problems As Possibilities
B. They saw Poverty As Power
4. The Power of Missions - vs 3 - "power ... Beyond their power"
A. Here we find their Tithe (cannot give until you tithe)
B. Here we find their Power of giving (gave of what they had)
C. Here we find the their Faith of giving (beyond their power - tapped another Source!)
5. The Prayer of Missions - vs 4 - "praying us ... Receive"
A. They begged the Missionary - "prayed...much intreaty" (reversed today)
B. They gave to the Missionary - "we would receive the gift"
C. They fellowshiped with the Missionary - "fellowship of ministering"
6. The Priority of Missions - vs 5 - "first"
A. Gave themselves unto the Lord - "first...to the Lord"
B. Gave themselves unto the Missionary - "unto us"
C. Gave themselves Abundantly - "not as we hoped"
D. Gave themselves Obediently - "will of God"
7. The Proof of Missions - vs 8 - "prove"
A. Their giving was Proof of their love
B. Their giving was Proof of their sincerity
8. The Pattern of Missions - vs 9 - "our Lord Jesus Christ"
A. The Example of His Giving - "rich ... Poor"
B. The End Result of His Giving - "ye ... Might be rich"
9. The Performance of Missions - vs 10-11 - "expedient"
A. The Planning of Giving - vs 10
B. The Performing of Giving - vs 11
10. The Partnership of Missions - 14 - "equality"
A. You give unto their necessity and
B. When you need it, they will give to you
11. The Promise of Missions - vs 15 - 2 Corinthians 9:6-8
A. God meets the needs of His Missions!
B. God meets the needs of His Children!