Sunday, December 28, 2008

This One Thing I Do - Part 2

Temple Baptist Church - 12-28-2008

Philippians 3:13

Introduction: I quoted the first part of what Paul said last Sunday: “This one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind.” This morning, I want to use the second part as they go together and one is useless without the other. “This one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”


A. Last week, we PUT THE PAST IN THE PAST. To forget the things that are behind is good but not enough. We can reflect on our failures and fail to learn from them. We can reflect upon our victories and have no victory in the next year. We can sit still this New Year, do nothing, and miserably fail again. Or,

B. We also PUT THE FUTURE IN THE PRESENT! We can go on for God while living in spiritual victory. No, we do not know what we will face this year. There may be trials to go through, sickness to come upon us, poverty because of an unstable economy but we can be victorious. “This is the victory that over cometh the world, even our faith!” (1 John 5:4)

C. We can put the future in the present by:

1. Living for Christ today. Taking one day at a time by not crossing bridges before we come to them. A man once said that worry is “Earning interest on a problem that may never come.” One day at a time.

Matthew 6:31-34 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

2. Trusting Christ for tomorrow. Yea though I walk through the valley, I will fear no evil for He is with me!

Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

1. In 2009, I Want To “Be Found In Him.” Vs. 9, 13-14

a. Not “found in Him” in salvation because I am saved! I got that settled long ago. My salvation is settled for time and eternity. If you do not know Him today, come to an old fashioned altar and surrender your life to Christ. He will not “cast you out.”

b. “Found in Him” in testimony! Everyone who names Christ has a testimony for Christ: either bad or good.

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

c. I want my life to glorify God, not bring shame to His name. I want my life to reflect the wonderful salvation that He has given to me and the change that His salvation made. So many people who are saved have brought nothing but reproach to a “name which is above every name.”

2. In 2009, I Want To “Know Him.” Vs. 10

a. I want to get to know Him in His person.

Philippians 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things [but] loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them [but] dung, that I may win Christ,

b. I want to get to know Him in the fellowship of His suffering.

Hebrews 13:13 Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach. (I believe that the greatest suffering of Christ was that of being forsaken! “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” The world will also forsake you when you “go forth therefore unto him without the camp.”)

c. I want to get to know Him in His Word.

Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary [food].

d. I want to get to know Him in His peace.

2 Timothy 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

2 Timothy 4:16-17 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all [men] forsook me: [I pray God] that it may not be laid to their charge. 17 Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and [that] all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.

Psalms 56:3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

Psalms 56:11 In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.

Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God [is] my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH [is] my strength and [my] song; he also is become my salvation. (His God; He is Lord, He is Sovereign!)

e. I want to get to know Him in His power.

John 11:43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

f. I want to get to know Him in my praise.

Hebrews 13:15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

g. I want to get to know Him in His purpose.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

No comments: