Monday, March 31, 2008
Introduction: Homecoming Day. My family has been in this church for 21 short years and it has been a blessing!
A. Most people never understand their pastor. Paul, when writing to the Corinthian Church, rebuked the divisions that were brought about through this ignorance. The Corinthians’ perspective was off. Not having a proper perspective of God’s man will cause you to do one of two things.
1. It will cause you to elevate your pastor to a plane of perfection that he cannot fulfill and, if he fails, you will criticize him.
2. Or, it will cause you to lower your pastor to a position of disrespect and, therefore, render his influence ineffectual and he will not be able to help you.
B. You need a pastor! God made it that way! Sheep without a shepherd will soon lose their direction, scatter, and fall pray to their enemies. God’s people are like sheep.
Matthew 9:36 says, “But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.”
C. I want to look at the person and position of the pastor on our Homecoming Day in order to help you better understand what God is doing in your life.
1. The Pastor Is God’s Man – vs. 1 - Ephesians 4:11-12 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: (He is special because God made him that way.)
a. Be careful how you treat him.
b. Be careful how you talk about him.
2. The Pastor Is A Man – vs. 6 - 1 Corinthians 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. (People are sometimes tough on pastors and their families.)
a. He has feelings. He has wants and desires. He has likes and dislikes. He hurts also.
b. He has faults. He is not perfect, so do not hold him to that standard.
c. He has failures. He is to be forgiven as he forgives.
3. The Pastor Is Your Man – vs. 8 - Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. (You need your pastor!)
a. He is your gift. He and his family are there with you in your darkest hour.
b. He is your friend. He and his family will stay with you when others forsake you.
4. The Pastor Is A Hated Man – vs. 9-13 - 2 Timothy 4:14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works: (Satan hates him and will use every means to attack him.)
a. He is hated because of the stand that he takes.
b. He is hated because of the Word he preaches.
c. He is hated because of the Lord he represents.
5. The Pastor Is A Loving Man – vs. 14-15 - 2 Corinthians 12:15 And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved. (You can even turn on him and he will love you.)
a. He loves the Lord.
b. He loves the Word.
c. He loves the Saint.
d. He loves the Sinner.
6. The Pastor Is Beseeching Man – vs. 16-17 - Hebrews 13:22 And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words. (Paul used the word beseech 24 times in the Book of Acts and the Pauline Epistles.)
a. He desires only the best for you.
b. He desires only the best for your family.
c. He desires only the best for the church.
7. The Pastor Is A Concerned Man – vs. 18-21 - 2 Corinthians 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
a. He watches over you.
b. He worries over you.
8. The Pastor Is A Needy Man - Philippians 1:4-5 Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy, 5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;
2 Timothy 4:11a Only Luke is with me. (You stand with God’s man!)
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Temple Baptist Church - 3-26-20082 Corinthians 6:11-18
A. God commands that the believer be separate from the things of this world. Separation has been both distorted and avoided. It has also become one of the churches greatest “battle fields” of our day and those who biblically separate are labeled as divisive, cultic, unlearned, and unloving. This simply is not so!
B. There are several areas in which God commands separation. God still demands Separation out of his children. I did not say isolation I said separation, I know the bible says in (Pr 11:1) "A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight." I know their must be a balance in our doctrine, but we are not out of balance as fair as being to separated we are out of balance not being separated enough!! Three areas of such separation are:
1. Personal Separation From Conformity To The World – Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but are ye transformed by the renewing of your mind that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (We have preached on this subject in an earlier message.)
2. Doctrinal Separation From Apostasy – Romans 16:17-18 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. (We have preached on this subject in an earlier message.)
3. Ecclesiastical Separation From False Churches - 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
C. It will also do us well to understand that these are commandments of God, not preferences of men! I want to look at Ecclesiastical separation tonight. Ecclesiastical separation is not just separation just for the sake of avoiding people we don't like, or fighting just for the sake of fighting. It is a battle for the purity of doctrine and continuance of the church. Ecclesiastical separation is life or death!!
1. It Is An Ancient “Battle Ground.” – John 10:19-21 There was a division therefore again among the Jews for these sayings. And many of them said, He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him? Others said, These are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the eyes of the blind?
2. It Is A Continual “Battle Ground.” - John 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
3. It Is A Blessed “Battle Ground.” – Luke 6:22-23 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man’s sake. Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.
4. It Is An Important “Battle Ground.” - Psalms 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?
D. We live in the ecumenical age of the church. Doctrine has previously defined church groups and denominations with very distinct lines. Today, in light of the one world church approaching, these distinct denominational lines have blurred, faded, and in many cases disappeared.
1. We now have the Charismatics who draw from every denomination from Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, Pentecostal, and cults.
2. We now have the Neo-evangelicals who also do the same: Chuck Swindol, etc.
3. We now have the Community Church Movement which does the same.
4. There are ecumenical worship services for Christmas and Easter where every “wind of doctrine” is both involved and comfortable with each other.
5. The local Ministerial Association has long been on the scene with Prayer Breakfasts and etc., involving preachers of every “stripe.”
6. Welcome to Laodicea! Welcome to the world of the Antichrist! Even so, come, Lord Jesus!
E. In these verses, we find some things to note:
1. The Concern Of The Apostle Paul – verse 11 - Paul spoke of his love for the Corinthian Church.
2. The Condition Of The People – verse 12 - They were “straightened” from within! They were distressed by some that were in their fellowship.
3. The Character Of The Enemy – verses 14-16 - They are easily discernable.
Righteousness vs. unrighteousness
Light vs. darkness
Christ vs. Belial (Belial – one of low ascent, a low life!)
Believer vs. unbeliever
Temple of God vs. idols
4. The Communion Of The Church – verse – 17-18
a. Come out – not stay in
b. Touch not
c. I will receive you
d. I will be a Father to you
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
A. This chapter describes the times in which we now live. Over the past 3 decades that I have been saved, I have seen a constant, serious decline in the fundamentalism of the local church. It amazes me, though I am familiar with what the Bible says on the subject, that we have come to the place where we now stand.
B. Here, we find the phrase “falling away.” It is from this phrase that we get the commonly used word “apostasy.”
APOSTASY – to defect from or to renounce a former belief or position.
C. Apostasy is Satan’s Conspiracy! It is a planned attack! It is a manned attack!
D. This apostasy has evolved through several mediums of which I will name two:
1. The arising of False Brethren and Prophets. We are now generations into the recruitment and infiltration of lost preachers who now permeate the pulpits of churches.
a) They are well disguised - Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
b) They are articulate and well educated - Matthew 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Mark 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.
c) They are well thought of in religious circles - Luke 6:26 Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.
d) They are heretical - 2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
1) They have left the Word of God - Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in them.
2) They have left the Traditions of the Church - 2 Thessalonians 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
3) They have left the Old Paths of Separation - Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where [is] the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk [therein]. (Their churches are characterized by worldly dress, worldly music, worldly philosophies, and worldly “converts.”)
2. The advancement of the Laodicean Church Age and, therefore, the apathy of its people.
a) The “Church” has taken a back seat to the materialistic world and the temporal outweighs the eternal.
b) The apathy of the majority of Believers. Though they realize to some degree that things are wrong, they are comfortable in the pews and do not wish to be disturbed.
c) The acceptance of shallow, charismatic, philosophical “teachers.” God’s people no longer allow strong doctrinal preaching.
2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
d) The avarice of the Local Church Pulpits. Preachers are afraid of losing both members and money! Men who once stood strong in fundamentalism have allowed their churches to compromise and are strangely silent! Most of the old “bastions of the faith” are gone! Churches and schools that once stood for truth and separation are now gone.
e) True believers and churches are now defamed!
1. Bible believing churches are called cultic.
2. Bible believing churches are called divisive.
3. Bible believing churches are called unloving.
4. Bible believing churches are called ignorant.
GOD COMMANDS SEPARATION FROM APOSTASY!
1. We Must Learn To Identify Them! 1 Timothy 1:18-20 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare; 19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: 20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme. (How do we recognize them? By measuring their ministry by God’s Word.)
1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in them.
2. We Are To Mark Them! Romans 16:17-18 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. (This goes over like a “lead balloon” today. Naming names is a vital part of “marking” the apostates. Without naming them, they remain safe from discovery. Wolf hunting is a vital part of the pastor’s ministry!)
MARK - AV-mark 2, take heed 1, look on 1, look at 1, consider 1; 6
1) to look at, observe, contemplate
2) to mark
3) to fix one’s eyes upon, direct one’s attention to, any one
4) to look to, take heed to thyself
3. We Are To Avoid Them! Romans 16:17-18 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in [them]; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you, 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
2 Thessalonians 3:6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.
2 Thessalonians 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
1 Timothy 6:3-5 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; 4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, 5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
2 Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
Titus 3:10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;
2 John 10-11 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
4. We Are To Reprove Them! Titus 3:10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;
Ephesians 5:8-12 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now [are ye] light in the Lord: walk as children of light: 9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) 10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. 12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
Introduction: Today, we celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
A. The gospel—the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ—is the blessed hope of the Christian as well as the world. It is only through the finished work of Calvary, of which the resurrection is the acceptance of sin’s price paid in full, that we find eternal life and the hope of Heaven.
B. Often, we sing the song “Because He Lives!” Because He lives, I can face tomorrow; because He lives, all fear is gone. The “Capstone of Christianity” is that there is life beyond this live and that life is eternal.
1. It gives hope to the hopeless.
2. It gives encouragement to the discouraged.
3. It gives light and life to the spiritually blinded.
4. It gives joy unspeakable and full of glory to the down trodden.
5. It gives peace and joy to the bereaved.
6. It gives comfort to the sick unto death.
7. It gives courage to the oppressed.
8. It gives strength to the weary.
9. It gives victory to the defeated.
10. It gives expectancy to the watcher.
C. One day soon He is coming back as He said and we will be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye.
Romans 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also [in the likeness] of [his] resurrection:
John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
1. Because Of The Resurrection There Will Be A Glorious Appearing - Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
There Will Be A Glorious Body - Philippians 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
2. Because Of The Resurrection There Will Be A Glorious Reunion - 1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
3. Because Of The Resurrection There Will Be A Glorious Joy - 1 Peter 4:13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
Jude 24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present [you] faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
4. Because Of The Resurrection There Will Be A Glorious Presentation - Ephesians 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
5. Because Of The Resurrection There Will Be A Glorious Home - John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
Conclusion: The greatest day of the life of the believer will be when he sees Christ. This is a wicked, troublesome world and the longer I live the more I Pray with the Apostle John:
Revelation 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
2 Corinthians 6:4-10
A. Last week, we saw the importance of letting our lives be both light—to guide those in darkness—and salt—to give a wonderful savor to the world. We may either draw people to Christ or drive people away from Christ by the lives that we live before them.
B. We saw that Lifestyle Evangelism is not living a life of worldliness in order to reach them but rather living a life of contrast, showing them a difference.
C. I want to look at a few more things within the context of these verses that will affect the opinions of others concerning our testimony. Verse 4 says, “But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God.”
D. People watch our every move and reaction. They hear every word that we speak. We have been identified with Christ and sometimes, unfortunately, the lost know more of what we should act like than we know ourselves. How many times have I heard a statement like this: “A Christian would not have done anything like that!”
1. The World Watches Our Reaction To Life’s Trials – vs. 4
a. Patience – “Patience is accepting a difficult situation with giving God a deadline to remove it!”
b. Afflictions – Pressing matters or heavy burdens. “Man that is born of woman is of few days, and full of troubles!” (Job 14:1)
c. Necessities – When our money and resources run low. Things that we define as “needs.”
d. Distresses – Anguish or dire calamity. Bad things happen to good people.
2. The World Watches Our Reaction To Persecution – vs. 5
a. Stripes – Chastened by the world.
b. Imprisonments – Actually placed into bonds or jails in innocence.
c. Labours – In weariness coupled with grief and sorrow.
d. Watchings – To be sleepless.
e. Fastings – Periods of agonizing with God during distress.
3. The World Watches Our Lives – vs. 6-7
a. Pureness – Chastity; uprightness of life.
b. Knowledge – A biblical understanding of right and wrong in decision making.
c. Longsuffering – Neither easily offended nor provoked.
d. Kindness - Not haughty or critical. Loving and easily entreated.
e. The Holy Ghost –The fruit of the Spirit manifested in our lives.
f. Love unfeigned - A sweetness of spirit which comes from the love of God.
g. The Word of Truth – Witnessing and counseling with God’s Word.
h. Armour of Righteousness – Integrity, virtue, purity of life, rightness, correctness of thinking and acting.
4. The World Watches Our Attitudes – vs. 8-10
a. Honour and Dishonour – How we handle promotion or lack of promotion.
b. Evil Report and Good Report – Some like what we do while others hate what we do.
c. Deceivers, and yet True – They tell you that you belong to a cult or are narrow minded while you faithfully minister to them the Word of God.
d. Unknown, and yet Well Known – Despised, slighted, hated, and persecuted by the world but well know to both God and His children.
e. Dying, and, behold, We Live – Dead to the world but alive forever more to the Father.
f. Chastened, and not Killed – If the world chastens you to death, you live as you never have before.
g. Sorrowful, yet always rejoicing – Trials and tribulations cannot steal the real joy that comes only through knowing Christ.
h. Poor, het making many Rich – Our lives are spent, not in earning a living alone, but in sharing the glorious Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
i. Having Nothing, and yet possessing All Things – Leaving all for Christ while gaining the best of this world and all of the world to come.
Conclusion: Our Lifestyle is one of the greatest evangelization tools that we have. Of little value is the Word of God when spread by a life not backing it up!
Monday, March 17, 2008
Genesis 22:1-14; Hebrews 13:10-16
A. The Old Testament sacrifices simply pointed mankind to Calvary. In Genesis 3:15, the first messianic prophecy was set forth and from that time, all true believers look forward to the coming of the Son of God, the Seed of the woman.
B. In verse 8 of Genesis 22, Abraham’s faith in the coming of Christ was evident. Even in the days of the Mosaic Law, true believers knew that the blood of bulls and goats could never take away the sin of man and were simply an atonement until Christ had, in the end of the world, “appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.”
C. Over the years, this system of atonement, which was a substitutionary atonement or “covering” for the Jews, became a system of good works as their faith became misplaced.
D. In verse 14, Abraham prophesies, “In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.”
E. In John 1:29, John the Baptist—when seeing Christ—declared, “Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world!”
F. I want to look at our text this morning in Hebrews 13:9-16 and reflect for a while upon Calvary.
1. The Right Of Calvary - Salvation – vs 10 “We have an altar…they have no right” (Those who work have no rights! Only those who come to Christ by faith in His finished work can be saved!)
a. Calvary Is A Place Of Privilege - Titus 3:4-5 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called [us] with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
b. Calvary Is A Place Of Propitiation – vs 11-12 “for sin…with his own blood” (Christ, in our place and for our sin, died on Calvary !)
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
Isaiah 53:4-12 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither [was any] deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore will I divide him [a portion] with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
Daniel 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself:
Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
Ephesians 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
2. The Result Of Calvary - Sanctification – vs 12 “sanctify the people” (He has set apart His people for His glory!)
a. Calvary Is A Place Of Determination – 1 Peter 2:9 But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
b. Calvary Is A Place Of Direction - Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
3. The Reproach Of Calvary - Identification – vs 13 “without the camp” (Now, our obligation is to go where Christ is, outside of the camp!)
a. Calvary Is A Place Of Choice - Hebrews 11:24-26 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter; 25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; 26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt : for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.
b. Calvary Is A Place Of Confession - 1 Peter 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy [are ye]; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
Matthew 5:11 Blessed are ye, when [men] shall revile you, and persecute [you], and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Matthew 10:24 The disciple is not above [his] master, nor the servant above his lord.
Luke 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man’s sake.
4. The Reward Of Calvary – vs 14 “one to come” – Glorification (Eternal life in an eternal city.)
a. Calvary Is A Place Of Realization – Hebrews 9:27-28 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: 28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
b. Calvary Is A Place Of Revelation - Hebrews 11:13-16 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of [them], and embraced [them], and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. 14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. 15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. 16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city. (This world is not my final home!)
5. The Responsibility Of Calvary – vs 15-16 – Declaration
a. Calvary Is A Place Of Worship – vs 15 - Psalms 107:21-22 Oh that [men] would praise the LORD [for] his goodness, and [for] his wonderful works to the children of men! 22 And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing.
b. Calvary Is A Place Of Witness – vs 16 - Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
2 Corinthians 6:1-18
A. The term “Lifestyle Evangelism” has certainly been viewed by Bible believers in a negative light in these last days. Many churches, including some Independent Baptist, have taught their people to be like the world in order to win them to Christ. They use such verses as 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 to prove their philosophies.
1 Corinthians 9:19-23 For though I be free from all [men], yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,)that I might gain them that are without law. 22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 And this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
B. These folks grow their hair long, dress like the world, evangelize on the beaches, enter the bars, in order to witness to the lost. They try to make the lost comfortable with who they are and, after “winning them to the Lord,” leave them in the same condition.
C. Their “Lifestyle Evangelism” is not the will of God for the believer! This same philosophy has unfortunately crept into our churches also. People no longer think that it matters how you dress, where you go, or how you act because you are under grace and not the law.
D. Standards are breaking down on every hand as pastors give in to pressure from both outside and inside of the church house. God’s people “buck” at the thought of being preached to on the subject. Pastors also give into the “laid back,” “come as you are,” “do as you please,” and “leave as you came” methods of “growing” their congregations. These ear-tickling pastors fail to teach and preach the whole counsel of God of which separation is a vital part! The child of God is commanded to be separate from worldliness while living holy, consecrated lives.
E. The Bible DOES, however, teach “Lifestyle Evangelism” in a Scriptural realm! Chapter 6 deals thoroughly with this very subject. I want to take several weeks on this particular chapter because it is of the utmost importance when winning souls to Christ.
F. God’s people are to win others to Christ through contrast, not similarity! We are different. We are converted. We are changed! Our families and friends, our schoolmates and co-workers, our casual acquaintances should see that we are different.
Matthew 5:13-14 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. (Salt can be tasted and adds flavor. Light can be seen and shows others the way.)
G. “Lifestyle Evangelism” is not a lifestyle to be forced upon anyone. It is a lifestyle that is obedient to God’s Word and is seen by the lost. It should compel them to come to Christ, not turn them away. The danger of separation is Phariseeism!
H. Notice verses 3-4: “Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed” and “In all things approving ourselves as ministers of God”
I. I want to deal with the first one tonight. “Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed!”
1. “Lifestyle Evangelism” Requires A Right Walk
Ephesians 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
1 Thessalonians 4:1 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort [you] by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, [so] ye would abound more and more.
Ephesians 2:1-6 And you [hath he quickened], who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: (Though Paul is speaking of our Position in Christ in verse six, the context draws a contrast between the past life of verses 2-3 and verses 5-6. The words “in time past” indicate that our walk has changed!)
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Titus 3:8 [This is] a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.
2. “Lifestyle Evangelism” Requires A Right Body
Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
1 Peter 2:11-12 Dearly beloved, I beseech [you] as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; 12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by [your] good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members [as] instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members [as] instruments of righteousness unto God.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
Philippians 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and [my] hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but [that] with all boldness, as always, [so] now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether [it be] by life, or by death.
3. “Lifestyle Evangelism” Requires A Right Attitude
1 Corinthians 8:4-13 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol [is] nothing in the world, and that [there is] none other God but one. 5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. 7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled. 8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse. 9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. 10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol’s temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; 11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ. 13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend. (Some folks do not care what anyone thinks about what they do or do not do! There are two types: those who think that everybody has to do just as they do and those who do not care what anybody thinks about what they do! Both are wrong. What we do affects everybody!)
4. “Lifestyle Evangelism” Requires A Right Speech
Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Ephesians 5:3-4 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
Matthew 12:34-37 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. 36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
Colossians 4:6 Let your speech [be] alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same [is] a perfect man, [and] able also to bridle the whole body.
5. “Lifestyle Evangelism” Requires A Right Love
John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. 35 By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not [his] brother abideth in death.
1 John 4:20-21 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
6. “Lifestyle Evangelism” Requires A Right Glorification
Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
1 Peter 2:9 But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
2 Thessalonians 1:11-12 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of [this] calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of [his] goodness, and the work of faith with power: 12 That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 2:12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by [your] good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
Conclusion: Our conversions are to reflect the glory of God. If we do not show the lost a life worthy of our calling, then they do not desire what we have.
Pastor David Johnston
Temple Baptist Church
Monday, March 10, 2008
A. As Easter Sunday approaches, our minds and hearts automatically should turn to a place called Calvary and the “Old Rugged Cross.” When I survey the wondrous cross, it still holds a beautiful attraction for me.
B. The cross of Christ affects different people in different ways but it should bring tears of gratitude when we think of His great sacrifice. God’s only begotten Son became sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.
C. There was a multitude of people who were either involved with the actual crucifixion or were spectators. Some were glad to see the death of Christ. Some were sad to see the death of Christ. Some were simply amused at the death of Christ. Some were curious and came as spectators to the death of Christ. I want to look at a few of these people this morning and then ask the question: “Which one is descriptive of you!”
1. There Were Those That Did Not Want To Be There - vs 11-18, 24
(To Some, The Cross Was An Inconvenience)
a. Those who are not interested in the gospel and salvation
b. Religion is just an inconvenience (just don’t have the time)
c. Pilate - 27:18, 23-24 (washed his hands)
d. The Darkened Heart (will not allow the light of salvation to shine)
e. The Wayside Hearer - Matthew 13:4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
Matthew 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
2. There Were Those That Hated Christ - vs 19-23
(To Some, The Cross Was An Insult)
a. These are the RELIGIONISTS.
b. They are the mockers - 39, 40 (men of reprobate mind who are enemies of the cross)
c. They have their religion, but are not interested in Christ (they who are belligerent towards the things of God)
d. The Hard Heart
e. The Stony Ground Hearer - Matthew 13:5-6 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth: And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
Matthew 13:20-21 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
Matthew 3:7-9 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
3. There Were Those That Rejected - vs 24-25
(To Some, The Cross Was An Intrusion)
a. Those who hear and choose a life of self and sin
b. They were just curious - vs 36 (just came to see what is going on, but had no real interest in salvation)
c. The Unrepentant Heart
d. Matthew 13:7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
Matthew 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
4. There Were Those Who Were Saved - vs 54, Luke 23:42
(To Some, The Cross Was A Blessed Interruption)
a. Came seeking and found eternal life in Jesus Christ
b. Matthew 13:8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
Matthew 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
1. The Call of The Cross - John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
a. The Person of The Cross - “And I, if I”
b. The Preaching of The Cross - “be lifted up”
c. The Position of The Cross - “from the earth”
d. The Promise of The Cross -”will draw”
e. The People of The Cross - “all men”
2. The Choice of The Cross
a. The Invitation of The Cross Extended - Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
1) The Choice Is Personal - “You” is understood
Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
2) The Choice Is Limited - “Come unto me”
John 10:7, 9 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
3) The Choice Is Wonderful - “I will give you rest”
Isaiah 61:1-3 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.
4) The Choice Is Imperative - “Come”
John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
b. The Conclusion of The Cross Explained - John 3:18-21 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
1) The Condition of The Cross - Believing vs. unbelieving
2) The Choice of The Cross - Cometh vs. Neither Cometh
3) The Contrast of The Cross - Doeth Truth vs. Loved Darkness
4) The Condemnation of The Cross - Not Condemned vs. Condemned
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
2 Corinthians 6:1-18
A. Chapters 5 and 6 are contextually the same. They deal with our salvation, the Judgment Seat of Christ, and call to win souls for Christ. We found in chapter 5 that we are now Ambassadors for Christ and have been given the ministry of reconciliation.
B. I am amazed at the number of people we meet on visitation who say, “I am glad that you are doing this!” My question is this: “Then why are you not doing this?” Independent Baptist have traded door-to-door visitation for programs and proselyting!
C. I want to look at several things in this chapter over the next few weeks that show forth both the necessity and means of soul winning.
D. Tonight, I want us to see that soul winning is everyone’s responsibility.
1. Soul Winning Is To Be Done Corporately – vs. 1 - 1 Corinthians 3:5-8 Who then is Paul, and who [is] Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. 8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
a. We Need Workers – soul winning is each and everyone’s job - Matthew 9:36-38 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. 37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; 38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.
1) Through Prayer - 1 Timothy 2:1-4 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, [and] giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
2) Through Tracts - Psalms 68:11 The Lord gave the word: great [was] the company of those that published [it].
3) Through One On One Witnessing - Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem , and in all Judaea, and in Samaria , and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
4) Through Door-To-Door Visitation - Luke 14:23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel [them] to come in, that my house may be filled.
b. We Need Unity – “together” – cooperation on the job – 1 Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.
1) No Competition - Luke 9:49-50 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. 50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid [him] not: for he that is not against us is for us. (I pray that every Bible believing church knocks on doors and wins souls. I pray that every one of the prosper and grow. I do not want their sheep!)
2) No Bragging – 1 Corinthians 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who [is] Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? (I got on the mailing list of an independent Baptist church that, at least once a year, lists men along with the number that they “won to the Lord” listed. One man supposedly won over 1700 to the Lord in personal evangelism in one year. This is about 5 souls won per day!)
c. We Need Power – “with Him” – makes the work much more profitable - Matthew 28:18-19 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
1) God Gave The Son
2) God Gave The Word
3) God Gives The Increase
2. Soul Winning Is To Be Done Urgently – “Now is the day of salvation” - vs. 2
a. Grace Received To The Saving Of Our Soul – God saved you on the “today” that you called upon Him.
Isaiah 49:8 Thus saith the LORD, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;
Ezekiel 16:8 Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time [was] the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord GOD, and thou becamest mine.
b. Grace Received To No Avail In Soul Winning – Not to share the Gospel is to have received it in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which [was bestowed] upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
Monday, March 3, 2008
Temple Baptist Church 03-02-2008
Matthew 24:1-8; Philippians 3:17-4:1
Introduction: We live in the light of the eminent return of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. What a blessed hope! We will be raptured out of this present, evil world into an eternity too wonderful to describe. Stand fast in these last days because many of God’s people are already casualties in the spiritual warfare of these last, perilous days.
A. Days of Great Falling - 1 Corinthians 10:6-12 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand. Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents. Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer. Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
B. Days of Great Failing - Hebrews 12:15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; (What we see in God’s people today is a result of years of satanic attack!)
1. The Attack Of Humanism. The public school system has instilled their religion, humanism, into the children of America . These children are self-centered and situation ethics has become the rule of the day.
2. The Attack Of Immorality. Adultery has become an affair. Abortion has become pro-choice. Fornication has become free love. Cursing and swearing are no longer as offensive as they once were. If it feels good, do it has become the motto of the youth of America as well as the elder generation.
3. The Attack Of Brainwashing By The News Media. A man once said something similar to this: you can control the armies of the nation but, if I control the printed page, I control the nation. The News Media is “far left” in their interpretation and presentation of the news. They misuse, misconstrue, and twist each story to taint the minds of the hearers and readers.
4. The Attack Of Pacifism. Our nation was built upon the foundation of God’s Truth and the blood of our servicemen. John McCain said words to this effect: American does not mind occupation; they just can’t stand causalities! I thank God that the first two World Wars had a different philosophy!
5. The Attack Of The Loss Of Militant Patriotism. I love America ! I will fight and die for America ! Our borders are now flooded with people who will not learn the language, salute the flag, or die for American’s freedom. America ’s citizenry will not stand, remove their hats, nor salute when the National Anthem is being played.
6. The Attack Of The Loss Of Productivity. “Made in America ” once meant something! Now our productivity is decreased along with craftsmanship. American is lazy and has raised a lazy posterity.
7. And Foremost, The Attack Of An Anemic Church. Powerless, careless, worldly, and despicable local churches that no longer march to victory beneath the Banner Of The Cross! May God help us, as believers, to withstand in the evil day and, having done all, to stand!
C. These Are Disappointing Days of Great Change. The world is characterized by:
1. Preoccupation with physical appetites - Luke 17:27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
2. Grossly materialistic attitudes and interests - Luke 17:28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot ; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
3. Rapid advances in technology - Daniel 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, [even] to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
4. Inordinate devotion to pleasure and comfort - 2 Timothy 3:1-4 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5. No concern for God in either belief or conduct - 2 Peter 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth [person], a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
Jude 15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard [speeches] which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
6. Disregard for the sacredness of the marriage relation. - Matthew 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
7. Rejection of the inspired Word of God - 1 Peter 3:19-20 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
8. Population explosion - Genesis 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
9. Widespread violence - Genesis 6:11, 13 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence…And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
10. General corruption throughout society - Genesis 6:12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
11. Preoccupation with illicit sexual activity - Genesis 4:19 And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one [was] Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
Genesis 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they [were] fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
Romans 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
D. In order to stand in these last days, it will take the help of the Lord:
1. It will take His Power - Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. (His power is available.)
2. It will take His Grace - 2 Timothy 2:1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. (His grace is sufficient.)
E. A wise man once said, “All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!” These Need To Be Days of Great Resolve and Faithfulness - 1 Corinthians 16:13 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.
HOW TO STAND
1. Stand Fast Where You Are - vs 11 - Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
2. Stand United In Love - vs 2-3 - Philippians 1:27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;
Philippians 2:1-2 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
3. Stand Rejoicing - vs 4 - Philippians 3:1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.
1 Thessalonians 5:16 Rejoice evermore.
4. Stand Praying - vs 6 - 1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
5. Stand Trusting - vs 7 - John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
6. Stand Pure - vs 8
a. Purity of Heart - 1 Timothy 1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
b. Purity of Testimony - 1 Timothy 5:22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men’s sins: keep thyself pure.
c. Purity of Love - 1 Peter 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
d. Purity of Hope - 1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
7. Stand Serving - vs 9 - Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
Hebrews 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
8. Stand Giving - vs 10 - 1 Corinthians 8:1-5 Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia ; How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality. For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves; Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints. And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.
9. Stand Content - vs 11 - Matthew 6:31-34 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God , and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
10. Stand Strong - vs 13 - Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11. Stand Obedient - vs 14-17 - Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
12. Stand Encouraged - vs 18 - 1 Samuel 30:6 And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
13. Stand Assured - vs 19 - Hebrews 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
14. Stand Praising - vs 20 - Hebrews 2:12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.