Temple Baptist Church - 6-18-2014
1 John 2:20-24
A. Last week, we dealt with “Unction.” John continues this thought through the next 3 verses as “unction” is the fundamental basis of biblical understanding for God’s children. This “unction” is from the Holy One (verse 20): the precious Holy Ghost that dwells with us and in us.
B. I do not want to begin a series of the Person and Work of the Holy Spirit tonight but there is so much ignorance concerning our precious Companion in this present, evil world.
1. You cannot make “too much” of the Holy Spirit because He is as much God as God the Father and God the Son! Once again I will refer to an essential theological statement concerning the Person of the Trinity: “God is one God, manifesting Himself in three Persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost. These Three are co-equal in all power and attributes.”
2. BUT, you can maintain a wrong emphasis of the Holy Spirit. He never draws attention to Himself as His work is point us to Jesus The Christ!
John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. (14) He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
C. I do want to take a short look at this Holy One as we set up the next few verses because a vital part of His work is to point us to and convince us that “Jesus Is The Christ.”
1 Corinthians 2:9-16 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. (10) But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. (11) For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. (12) Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. (13) Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. (14) But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (15) But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. (16) For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
1. In “the mind of Christ we find the Filling of the believer. “Ye have an unction”
2. In “the mind of Christ we find the Fullness of the truth. “Ye know all things”
and ye know all things; for this anointing is a teaching one; it makes persons of quick understanding; it enlightens their understandings, refreshes their memories, and strengthens all the powers and faculties of the soul; it leads into the knowledge of all spiritual things, into all the mysteries of grace, and truths of the Gospel, into all things necessary for salvation; for these words are not to be taken in the largest sense, in which they are only applicable to the omniscient God, but to be restrained to the subject matter treated of, and to those things chiefly in which the antichrists and deceivers cited; and regard not a perfect knowledge, for those that know most of these things, under the influence of this unction, know but in part. The Syriac version reads, "all men", and so refers to that discerning of spirits, of the Spirit of truth, from the spirit of error; a gift which was bestowed on many in the primitive times, by which they could distinguish hypocrites from true believers, and antichrists and deceivers from the faithful ministers of the word. One of Stephens's copies reads, "and ye all know".
D. The Holy One: The Spirit of God will not violating biblical principle by acting or approving of unbiblical behavior as He is holy in all of His work. Much of today’s religious activity is contrary to the scriptures and is yet attributed to the Holy Ghost. I have listed below some of the works of the Holy One, i.e., the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost.
1. The Reprover of the man’s sin. John 16:8a “And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin,”
John 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
2. The Revealer of the man’s Saviour. John 16:8b “and of righteousness,”
John 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
3. The Pronouncement of the man’s judgment. John 16:8c “and of judgment:”
John 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
4. The Converter of our soul. Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
5. The Baptizer who places us into the body of Christ. 1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
Ephesians 4:4-6 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; (5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism, (6) One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
Galatians 3:26-28 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. (27) For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. (28) There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. (In Christ or in the body of Christ, there are no distinctions of God’s children. The local church has Jew and Greek, bond and free, male and female—in the body of Christ, we are all the same.)
6. The Token of our salvation. Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
7. The Earnest of our inheritance. 2 Corinthians 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
8. The Confidence of our confession. 1 John 5:8-10 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. (9) If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. (10) He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
9. The Small Still Voice that guides us. 1 Kings 19:12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
10. The Newness of our life. Romans 6:1-7 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? (2) God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? (3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? (4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. (5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: (6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. (7) For he that is dead is freed from sin.
11. The Small Still Voice of our companionship. 1 Kings 19:11-13 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: (12) And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. (13) And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?
12. The Comforter of our sorrow. John 14:26-27 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (27) Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
13. The Interceder when we are confused. Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. (27) And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
14. The Bestower of our gifts. 1 Corinthians 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
15. The Power of our witness. Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
16. Our Truth in apostasy. 1 John 2:20-21 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. (21) I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
Conclusion: I could continue on but I believe that this brief description of the Holy One is an eye opener. He is the Holy Ghost! He is the Holy Spirit! He is God!