Temple Baptist Church - 5-30-2017
2 Peter 2:9-19
A. This chapter deals predominantly with false teachers of the last days. Though angels and wicked men are reserved unto the day of judgement to be punished, Peter speaks of a certain type of lost people, false teachers. Verse 10 uses the words “But chiefly.” This tells me that the sins of false teachers is far greater than the sins of most unsaved and, therefore, bring with it a greater condemnation.
Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
B. All men are born innocent, but somethings happen that bring men to a place of seared consciences and total apostasy.
1. Though not all who have fallen into the snare of Bible correction are “dogs and hogs,” but the fundamental movement of Biblical liberalism is founded by these “dogs and hogs!”
2. They have made “merchandise” of many. Many schools and universities are not under the authority of a local church. They are “para-church” organizations. Therefore, their followers are not local church oriented. They do not obey pastoral authority or church authority.
3. These “Pied Pipers of Hamlin” make a pretty sound that causes many to follow their pernicious ways. Their way is not faith in the final authority of the Bible but in their own intellect.
C. Here is a short breakdown of chapter 2 and these false teachers.
1. Their Prophecy Declared– vs. 1
2. Their Evils Depicted – vs. 2
3. Their Damnation Dictated – vs. 3
4. Their Examples Displayed – vs. 4-6
5. Their Personalities Described – vs. 10-22
D. The characteristics of false teachers are displayed in verses 10-19. It is an example of the ravages of sin and the progression of a reprobate mind. Notice the progression.
1. They Walk After The Flesh And Not The Spirit – vs. 10 “walk after the flesh”
2. They Are Rebellious To Biblical Authority – vs. 10 “despise government”
3. They Were Presumptuous – vs. 10 “presumptuous”
4. They Were Self-willed – vs. 10 “selfwilled”
5. They Have No Fear Of Reprisal – vs. 10 “they are not afraid”
6. They Are Destitute Of Biblical Instruction – vs. 12 “natural brute beasts”
7. They Hold The Truth In Distain – vs. 12 “speak evil”
8. They Have No Shame – vs. 13 “riot in the day time”
9. They Make A Mockery Of The Church While Attending – vs. 13 “sporting themselves…feast with you”
10. They Have No Control Over Their Passions – vs. 14 “cannot cease from sin”
11. They Are Deceptive And Unstable – vs. 14 “beguiling unstable souls”
12. They Are Covetous – vs. 14-15 “covetous…wages of unrighteousness”
13. They Are Blown About With Every Wind Of Doctrine – vs. 17 “carried with the tempest”
14. They Use Organized Religion To Make Converts – vs. 18 “allure…flesh”
15. They Are Slaves To Intellectualism – vs. 19 “servants of corruption”