Temple Baptist Church - 9-27-2015
1 Thessalonians 4:1-3; Genesis 2:20-25
A. I find it enlightening that Paul, when speaking of sanctification, made specific mention of fornication. Fornication is no longer a terrible sin in the eyes of the world or most churches. At what is often called the First Jerusalem Council, the bible settles the subject of Law and Grace. We are under grace and not law! Here was the conclusion that these men of God came up with for the Galatian people.
Acts 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
B. One of the sins that the bible emphasizes staying away from in the sin of fornication.
1 Corinthians 6:18-20 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. (19) What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? (20) For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
Ephesians 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
C. Fornication is an especially devastating sin so I want to look at it for a few minutes. If you want to discover what God intends on any particular subject, you must go to the first mention of it. Rightly dividing the Word of Truth brings about doctrinal purity and doctrinal purity brings about spiritual help.
D. Biblical hermeneutics is the study of the principles of interpretation concerning the books of the Bible. One of the first principles that you learn in Bible Hermeneutics Class is the Law of First Mention. "God indicates in the first mention of a subject the truth with which that subject stands connected in the mind of God."
E. In Genesis 2:20-25, we find the first man, the first woman, the first marriage, the first joining, the first conception, etc. God’s intent was this: one man, one woman, one relationship, one lifetime! GOD HAS NEVER VARIED FROM THIS STANDARD!
1. God’s standard rebukes sodomy. It is not one man and one man! It is not one woman and one woman! It is one man and one woman!
2. God’s standard rebukes fornication! It is not relationships plural! It is one man, one woman, and one relationship!
3. God’s standard rebukes polygamy! It is not one man and several women! It is not one woman and several men! It is one man and one woman for one lifetime!
4. Is this popular teaching and preaching in our day? NO! Because fornication is both prevalent and popular in our day. There is no longer shame for either losing one’s purity or choosing to live together while unmarried.
5. Is this right teaching and preaching in our day? YES! God has never changed His mind on the subject and neither should we! The Supreme Court did not change God’s mind, God’s Word, or God’s judgment!
F. One of the most prevalent sins of our day is fornication.
1. Young people lose their purity at earlier and earlier ages. Marriage is not the first choice of many as they choose living together as their first option. I have had people get mad and leave our church because I would not put up with it.
2. Older people have lost their values. So called Christian parents not only accept this particular sin but also approve of it by helping the young, sinful couple to set up housekeeping. I want to help our young people as well as you older folks concerning the subject of fornication.
FORNICATION - voluntary sexual intercourse between persons not married to each other.
G. The world is pushing sex in almost every aspect of life. Satan is constantly bombarding society on virtually every front perverted sexual behavior.
1. Pornography. We consider pornography as adult magazines, adult movies, porn sites on the internet, etc. but it is much more diverse than these areas.
2. We are bombarded at Wal-Mart, the grocery store, public events, billboards, newspapers, J.C. Penny and Sears catalogues, and the list goes on. What you now see in public places was once found only in men’s magazines. Both women and men dress either provocatively or half naked in public.
3. Now, we have gotten comfortable with these images of both male and female that were once classified as sinful!
H. In Genesis 2, we find three phrases that I want to look at for a few minutes by way of introduction:
1. “cleave unto his wife – Cleave – to stick or to adhere to, to unite closely, strong attachment, to bond. Marriage is bonding! We use the term “bonds of holy matrimony.”
Psalms 102:5 By reason of the voice of my groaning my bones cleave to my skin.
Psalms 137:6 If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy.
2. “one flesh” – one, not two! Marriage is not a selfish act but a selfless act!
Matthew 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
3. “both naked…not ashamed” The beauty of the physical relationship is within the bond of marriage.
Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
I. Fornication is one of the few sins that draws this formidable warning:
1 Corinthians 6:18-20 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. (19) What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? (20) For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. (Satan slowly tantalizes the flesh with the desire for fornication while God commands you to flee!)
Proverbs 7:21-24 With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him. 22 He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks; 23 Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life. 24 Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
J. There was a time when men kept their hands off of the women. Even in church, parents made them sit with a song book between them. The Bible declares that it is not good for a man to touch a woman. I want to look at several things that fornication does to the believer:
1. Fornication Causes A Loss Of Innocence Never To Be Regained – As was with Adam and Eve in the garden, innocence is lost. There is the permanent realization that purity is gone and cannot be regained. God gave to every young person a very special gift: innocence and purity!
2. Fornication Brings About A Guilty Conscience – You will never look at yourself the same again. Others may never find out but you will always know and the reminders that are many will be painful. You will have a lifetime of sorrow to contend with.
3. Fornication Exposes To The Possibility Of Sexually Transmitted Diseases – You will never know for sure that the other person that you were involved with has not had sexual relations before. STD is rampant in our society and many such diseases are incurable. Explain that to you future husband or wife!
4. Fornication Defiles The Beauty Of Marital Sex – Pre-marital sex cheapens the act and will cause you to look at both it and your intended mate in a different light. Fornication will cause you to both act and react in a defiled way. It will damage your relationship with either your husband of wife.
5. Fornication Brings Innocent Children Into This World – The world is full of young, unwed mothers and fathers. The young parent’s carefree childhood is gone as they enter into the world of adulthood before they become adults.
Ecclesiastes 11:9-10 Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment. 10 Therefore remove sorrow from thy heart, and put away evil from thy flesh: for childhood and youth arevanity.
6. Fornication Is A Sin Against The Temple Of The Holy Ghost – The Spirit of God lives within each believer and is subjected to our sin. He is joined to you and you are joined to another!
1 Corinthians 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
Conclusion: Much more could be said but I believe that there is enough in this message for us all to get THE MESSAGE! Flee fornication and you will be wise.