Wednesday, January 7, 2009

When A ‘Mad Preacher’ Gets Into The Pulpit

Temple Baptist Church - 1-7-2009

2 Corinthians 13:7-10

Introduction:


A. We find in these verses that God’s men sometimes act and react in the flesh. They do so because, though they are God called men, they are still just men. Paul reiterated that it was good for the people at Corinth that he did not come to them this third time in person because, in verse 2, he would not spare the people who had sinned, and then in verse 10, he may have been sharp with them.

B. I am sure that the Corinthian believers were glad that the Holy Ghost prevented Paul from coming and simply rebuked them with an epistle. Though physically weak, Paul was a man of great passion. He was as bold as a lion and “not afraid of anything walking or riding a horse,” as we used to put it. Paul was normally meek and gentle but could be a “bear” when he wanted to be.

C. Many times, preachers (and I include myself) begin to take personally things that happen in the church. Sometimes, they are personal. The preacher or his family often comes under attack. There is an old saying that goes something like this: “If the Satan can’t get to the preacher, he will get to him through his family.” We have seen this over the past couple of years here at Temple. God’s men take that personally!

D. There are times when some believers are willfully rebellious to the preached Word of God. God’s men preach with compassion the truth of this Bible in order to help God’s people to grow, be blessed, and live a happy life. They willfully choose to ignore the Scripture and God’s men take it personally. I try to allow your sin to be between you and the Lord, not between you and I! Don’t get mad at me, get mad at God! He said it.

E. There are times when some believers act like children playing in a sandbox. They fail to get along and, therefore, argue and fight amongst themselves. They argue their “convictions.” They fight over things that do not matter. If you have faith, the Bible says to have it to yourself. Your “convictions” (which are normally preferences) may not be someone else’s “conviction.” Every man will give an account of himself to the Lord.

F. One excellent Old Testament example of what I am preaching about tonight is found in the meekest man in all the earth, Moses.

Exodus 32:19 And it came to pass, as soon as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf, and the dancing: and Moses’ anger waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of his hands, and brake them beneath the mount.

Numbers 20:10 And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?

Psalms 106:33 Because they provoked his spirit, so that he spake unadvisedly with his lips.

G. If my anger ever “waxes hot” for a short while, forgive me because I am a man of like passions such as you are. I love my family and will fight for them! I love my church and will fight for it! I love you and will fight for you! If I get out of line, let God straighten me out!

1 Samuel 26:8-11 Then said Abishai to David, God hath delivered thine enemy into thine hand this day: now therefore let me smite him, I pray thee, with the spear even to the earth at once, and I will not [smite] him the second time. 9 And David said to Abishai, Destroy him not: for who can stretch forth his hand against the LORD’S anointed, and be guiltless? 10 David said furthermore, As the LORD liveth, the LORD shall smite him; or his day shall come to die; or he shall descend into battle, and perish. 11 The LORD forbid that I should stretch forth mine hand against the LORD’S anointed: but, I pray thee, take thou now the spear that is at his bolster, and the cruse of water, and let us go.

H. The Lord will help me, as a pastor, to be what I need to be but you can also help your pastor. You quit acting up, misbehaving, get along, do right, live godly, be faithful, soul win, tithe, give to missions, be good to your wife or husband, love me and my family, and I will be a happy pastor! J Just kidding. You are a great people and the best church on earth, but you can help your pastor. You can pray for me and stand with me and you have! I appreciate it too.

1. The Man Of God Is Not To Be A Brawler - 1 Timothy 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

Titus 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;

2. The Man Of God Is Not To Strive - 2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all [men], apt to teach, patient,

3. The Man of God Is Not To Use The Pulpit As A Dictator - 1 Peter 5:2-3 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight [thereof], not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; 3 Neither as being lords over [God’s] heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.

4. The Man Of God Is To Be Gentle - 2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all [men], apt to teach, patient,

2 Corinthians 10:1 Now I Paul myself beseech you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ, who in presence [am] base among you, but being absent am bold toward you:

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Titus 3:2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, [but] gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.

5. The Man Of God Is To Be Patient - 2 Timothy 3:10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

6. The Man of God Is To Be Compassionate - 1 Corinthians 16:24 My love [be] with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.

7. The Man Of God Is To Be Bold - 2 Corinthians 7:4 Great [is] my boldness of speech toward you, great [is] my glorying of you: I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation.

Philippians 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and [my] hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but [that] with all boldness, as always, [so] now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether [it be] by life, or by death.

8. The Man Of God Is To Be Straight - 2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

1 Thessalonians 5:14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all [men].

No comments: