Tuesday, February 26, 2008
2 Corinthians 5:21
A. In verse 21, though there are several great doctrines found in this verse, I want to deal with two of them tonight: propitiation and expiation. Let me define these two words as we begin.
PROPITIATION – to appease by substitution. Christ completely satisfied the just demands of a holy God for judgment on sin by His death on the Cross. Propitiation literally means to make favorable and specifically includes the idea of dealing with God’s wrath against sinners. “For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin!” (The root word for Propitiation is also translated “mercy seat.”)
1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world.
EXPIATION - Expiation literally means to make pious and implies either the removal or cleansing of sin. “That we might be made the righteousness of God in him.“
B. In these two words, we find salvation in Christ alone! Since it is Christ who both propitiates and expiates, then salvation must be an act of God and Christ the only way to heaven.
C. I want to look at this verse tonight for a few minutes in order for us to have a proper understanding of what happened at the moment of salvation. Most people know that they are saved but know little of what it took to save them.
D. The word “made” is used twice in this verse: once in reference to propitiation and once in reference to expiation.
1. Our Lord Jesus Had To Be Made Sin Because He Had No Sin - Propitiation
a. Christ Was Made Flesh - John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,)full of grace and truth.
Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
b. Christ Was Made Under The Law - Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, (God was not under the Law. God is the Law! It is “my commandments.”)
Luke 2:21-24 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb. 22 And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord; 23 (As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;) 24 And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.
c. Christ Was Made Sin - Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
1) Christ was Sinless - Acts 4:30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.
Hebrews 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
2) Christ made Sin - 2 Corinthians 5:21a For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; (Notice that Christ was not made a sinner! He was made sin!)
1 Peter 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: (He did no sin! He spoke no sin!”)
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (He thought no sin!”)
Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin.
Hebrews 7:26 For such an high priest became us, [who is] holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;
Isaiah 53:4-12 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. 9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. 10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
2. We Had To Be Made Righteous Because We Had No Righteousness - Expiation
a. We were born Sinful - Psalms 58:3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.
Psalms 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Job 15:14 What [is] man, that he should be clean? and [he which is] born of a woman, that he should be righteous?
Isaiah 48:8 Yea, thou heardest not; yea, thou knewest not; yea, from that time [that] thine ear was not opened: for I knew that thou wouldest deal very treacherously, and wast called a transgressor from the womb.
b. We chose to be Sinful - Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
1 John 1:8-10 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
c. We had to be made Righteous - 2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (Notice that we did not become righteous. We had to be made righteous!)
Romans 3:10-12 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. (We did not righteousness.)
Romans 3:13-14 Their throat [is] an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps [is] under their lips: 14 Whose mouth [is] full of cursing and bitterness: (We spoke no righteousness.)
Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man [was] great in the earth, and [that] every imagination of the thoughts of his heart [was] only evil continually. (We thought no righteousness.)
Ephesians 2:1-3 And you [hath he quickened], who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean [thing], and all our righteousnesses [are] as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
Galatians 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
Ephesians 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Jude 24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present [you] faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
1 John 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
Conclusion: Jesus Christ Became What We Were That We Might Be Made What He Was!
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Introduction: What is a kingdom without “the power?” If God has a “Kingdom” without absolute power, then He has nothing!
A. The world has a warped view of God.
This view has been molded through weak, worldly churches and the TV media. God has been described as a confused, invisible apparition that weak people petition when in dire need. His wonderful name has been blasphemously used by both Hollywood and religious charlatans for many years. This view characterizes the general consensus of American religion. God is simply a life preserver who is “hung on the wall” until His help is required. Then, at best, He is only able to do some things and is limited in His power to help.
B. I fear that this line of thought has been passed on to the Bible believing churches of America also.
God is God but not God enough to depend upon when the “chips are down.” We will never have a right perspective of God until we seen Him in light of Scripture.
C. I believe that it is essential to right praying to have a right understanding of the power of God to answer!
There is no sense praying to a God that is limited in His power because you can ask for something that He cannot perform. How many times does Scripture place “believing” on the same plane with “receiving?”
1. Believing brings receiving - Matthew 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
2. Believing brings confidence and, therefore, peace - Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
D. I want to look at a portion of Scripture this morning that we read and quote too often without comprehending!
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Exodus 20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. (These simple statements of the fact of creation should boggle the minds of believers! God simply spoke the word and it was done! It took 6 years to build the Biltmore House. God created the universe in and all that is therein in six days simply because He took His time!)
E. God’s power is:
1. Both Self-existing and Self-sustaining – it neither increases nor diminishes! We are born weak and helpless; we then grow in strength and power; we later diminish in strength and power as we grow old; we eventually become weak and die.
Psalms 62:11 God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power [belongeth] unto God.
2. Absolute – He can neither be opposed nor overthrown!
2 Chronicles 20:6 And said, O LORD God of our fathers, [art] not thou God in heaven? and rulest [not] thou over all the kingdoms of the heathen? and in thine hand [is there not] power and might, so that none is able to withstand thee?
Psalms 18:13-15 The LORD also thundered in the heavens, and the Highest gave his voice; hail [stones] and coals of fire. 14 Yea, he sent out his arrows, and scattered them; and he shot out lightnings, and discomfited them. 15 Then the channels of waters were seen, and the foundations of the world were discovered at thy rebuke, O LORD, at the blast of the breath of thy nostrils.
Daniel 4:35 And all the inhabitants of the earth [are] reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and [among] the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?
3. Limitless – there is nothing that He cannot do! We cannot have a right conception of God unless we think of Him as all-powerful, as well as all-wise. He who cannot do what he wills and perform all his pleasure cannot be God!
Genesis 18:14a Is any thing too hard for the LORD?
Luke 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.
a) His promises would be empty if He could not perform them!
b) His mercy would be pity if He could not help us!
c) His warnings would be futile if He could not enforce them!
F. God is clothed with omnipotence!
We must pray believing!
1. There Is No Sin That God Cannot Forgive!
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
2. There Is No Sinner That God Cannot Save!
1 Timothy 1:15 This [is] a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
a. He Is Powerful To Convince
b. He Is Powerful To Convict
c. He Is Powerful To Convert
3. There Is No Need That God Cannot Meet!
Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
4. There Is No Situation That God Cannot Deliver From!
Psalms 121:3-8 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. 4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. 6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. 7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. 8 The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
5. There Is No Saint That God Cannot Lift!
Psalms 145:14 The LORD upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all [those that be] bowed down.
a. He Gives Stability
b. He Gives Stillness
c. He Gives Security
6. There Is No Unbeliever That God Cannot Condemn!
Revelation 20:12-15 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Conclusion: “And the power!” Psalms 27:1 The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD [is] the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
2 Corinthians 5:9-20
A. There are several “missions” of the local church.
1. There is the mission of Exhortation - Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
2. There is the mission of Edification - Ephesians 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
3. There is the mission of Teaching - Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.
4. There is the mission of Evangelization - Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
B. I want to deal with personal evangelization tonight. The local church is called to evangelize the world by carrying the message of the gospel to every precious soul on the face of the earth! HOW IMPORTANT IS ONE SOUL?
C. We send the missionary to fields that are out of our personal reach and what an important arm of the local church that is! If every church would do its part, the world could be reached with the message of salvation.
D. Then, there is personal evangelization, whether it be organized visitation that is house to house or individuals who give our a gospel witness or gospel tract.
1. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Righteousness - Proverbs 11:30a The fruit of the righteous [is] a tree of life;
2. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Wisdom – Proverbs 11:30b and he that winneth souls [is] wise.
Daniel 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
3. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Obedience - Matthew 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
4. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Discernment- John 4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and [then] cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
5. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Cooperation - John 4:36-38 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together. 37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth. 38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.
1 Corinthians 3:5-9 Who then is Paul, and who [is] Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. 8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. 9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.
6. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Willingness - Matthew 9:37-38 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly [is] plenteous, but the labourers [are] few; 38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.
7. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Sacrifice - 1 Corinthians 9:19 For though I be free from all [men], yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,)that I might gain them that are without law. 22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 And this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
8. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Priority - 1 Thessalonians 2:19 For what [is] our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? [Are] not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
9. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Compassion - James 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.
WHAT MAKES A SOUL-WINNER?
1. The Soul Winner Acknowledges His Debt To Humanity - Romans 1:14 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. (Someone either shared or preached the gospel to us. Now we are going to Heaven because of their witness.)
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
John 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace [be] unto you: as [my] Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
Acts 26:17-18 Delivering thee from the people, and [from] the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 18 To open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
1 Corinthians 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
2. The Soul Winner Has A Desire To Please God - 2 Corinthians 5:9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. (Andrew Murray once said, “There are two classes of Christians: soul winners and backsliders.”)
Hebrews 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
Hebrews 13:16 But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
3. A Soul Winner Knows The Worth Of A Soul - Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? (What is the worth of your soul?)
Psalms 49:8 (For the redemption of their soul [is] precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)
1 Peter 1:8-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, [as] silver and gold, from your vain conversation [received] by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
4. A Soul Winner Esteems His Heavenly Reward - Hebrews 11:26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward. (It is either Reward or Regret!)
Matthew 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great [is] your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
Luke 14:14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.
5. A Soul Winner Recognizes The Reward Of The Wicked - 1 Peter 4:17 For the time [is come] that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if [it] first [begin] at us, what shall the end [be] of them that obey not the gospel of God? (Imagine the unimaginable! The Lake of Fire forever.)
2 Corinthians 5:11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.
6. A Soul Winner Has An Unfailing Love For The Lord - 2 Corinthians 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: (To love the Lord is to love what the Lord loves!)
Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
1 Timothy 1:15 This [is] a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
7. A Soul Winner Has Compassion Upon The Lost - Psalms 142:4 I looked on [my] right hand, and beheld, but [there was] no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. (What a sad commentary! We pass the lost every day and neither take notice nor even care.)
Jude 21-23 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22 And of some have compassion, making a difference: 23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
8. A Soul Winner Has A Commission - 2 Corinthians 5:18-21 And all things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (Soul winning is a command of the Lord! Matthew 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.)
Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.
Monday, February 11, 2008
A. Praise, a missing element of our worship services. We get a few Amen’s from our people but very little praise. Praise is not to stand up and shout, though that may be a part of praise. Praise is not to run laps around the building, though that may even be a part of praise.
B. Praise may be accomplished by simply singing unto the Lord. Not mouthing the words of a Hymn Book, but actually taking those wonderful verses of song and singing them to the One that you love. I say a man take a love song and sing it to his bride during the course of the wedding. Though he did not write the words, he certainly meant them for the one he loved.
C. Praise may be accomplished by standing and giving testimony before the congregation. Many people do not know how to give a testimony. Testimonies are not occasions to teach the people. They are not rambling thoughts expressed to the congregation. I once knew a man that rambled on and on through word association. As he said one thing, it reminded him of something else. Praise is both specific and concise.
D. Praise may be accomplished by tears or a raised hand to the Lord. Some people are “criers!” Their heart gets squeezed and the juice runs out of the eyes.
E. Regardless of how we praise the Lord, I want to say tonight that He is certainly worthy of all of our praise! In this Psalm, which I dealt with in a general sense a few weeks ago, we find so many things to praise Him for. If you do not have anything to praise the Lord for, just memorize these 21 verses and quote them often to your self.
We have seen several things that precede praise and several things that are necessary for praise.
1. Praise Him For Your Personal Relationship – vs. 1
2. Praise Him For Your Permanent Relationship – vs. 2
3. Praise Him For His Person – vs. 3
4. Praise Him For His Power – vs. 4
5. Praise Him For His Purpose – vs. 5-6
6. Praise Him For His Goodness – vs. 7
7. Praise Him For His Holiness – vs. 7
8. Praise Him For His Mercy – vs. 8-9
9. Praise Him for His Authority – vs. 11-13
10. Praise Him For His Compassion – vs. 14
11. Praise Him For His Provision – vs. 15
12. Praise Him For His Satisfying – vs. 16
13. Praise Him For His Righteous Judgments – vs. 17
14. Praise Him For His Faithfulness – vs. 18
15. Praise Him For His Deliverance – vs. 19
16. Praise Him For His Commitment – vs. 20
Conclusion: Read verse 20. And we do not have anything to praise Him for!”
A. The Model Prayer consists of several aspects:
1. There is the establishment of relationship and the recognition of who God is..
2. Then, the Psalmist praises the name of God as he declares, “Hallowed by thy name!”
3. There is a petition for the ultimate return of our Lord and the setting up of His kingdom.
4. There is a petition for God’s will to be done perfectly on earth as it is in Heaven.
5. There is a petition for the necessities of life.
6. There is a petition for the forgiveness of our debtors.
7. There is a petition for the protection from all evil, both known and unknown.
8. The Model Prayer ends with a doxology of praise.
B. I want to break this down over the next few weeks and pray that it will be a blessing to God’s people.
C. Our Lord begins his doxology with the words "For Thine is the Kingdom." These words set forth God’s universal right and authority over all things, by which He disposes of them according to His pleasure.
This involves two things:
1. A Declaration Of Divine Ownership - Thine and Thine alone! The Earth Is The Lord’s!
a. Deuteronomy 10:14 Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens [is] the LORD’S thy God, the earth [also], with all that therein [is].
b. Psalms 89:11 The heavens [are] thine, the earth also [is] thine: [as for] the world and the fulness thereof, thou hast founded them.
1) All that is in Earth is the Lord’s! He owns all of the riches under the earth. He owns all of the gold, the silver, the platinum, the tin, the copper, the uranium, the diamonds, the sapphires, the rubies, the emeralds, every beautiful and precious stone, the coal and the oil, the dirt and the artesian wells of waters that spring up. It is all His!
2) He owns, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Mr. Chavez—He owns Venezuela!, Alaska, every piece of off-shore shale! America, if you would take care of God’s business of missions by honoring Him with the firstfruits of all that He has given to you, God would “supply all your need according to his riches in Glory by Christ Jesus!”
3) He owns the very fires of Hell! He created it for the devil and his angels. Hell is His!
4) ALL that is in the Earth is His!
2. A Declaration Of Divine Authority - Thine and Thine alone!
a. He controls the heavens! Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.
Psalms 147:4 He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by [their] names.
Joel 2:10 The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the moon shall be dark, and the stars shall withdraw their shining:
b. He controls all the Earth! Exodus 9:29 And Moses said unto him, As soon as I am gone out of the city, I will spread abroad my hands unto the LORD; [and] the thunder shall cease, neither shall there be any more hail; that thou mayest know how that the earth [is] the LORD’S.
c. He controls all of nature – Nahum 1:3-4a The LORD [is] slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit [the wicked]: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds [are] the dust of his feet. 4a He rebuketh the sea, and maketh it dry, and drieth up all the rivers:
Job 37:6 For he saith to the snow, Be thou [on] the earth; likewise to the small rain, and to the great rain of his strength.
Job 37:10 By the breath of God frost is given: and the breadth of the waters is straitened.
Job 38:22 Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail,
Psalms 78:47 He destroyed their vines with hail, and their sycomore trees with frost.
Psalms 148:8 Fire, and hail; snow, and vapour; stormy wind fulfilling his word:
d. He controls all of the animal and plant life! Numbers 22:28 And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
Mark 11:13-14 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not [yet]. 14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard [it].
e. He controls government!
1) He raises men up! Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
2) He plucks men down! Acts 12:21-23 And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them. 22 And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man. 23 And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
f. He controls circumstances. James 4:13-15 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: 14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.
g. He controls destiny! Romans 8:28-30 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose. 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
h. He controls Hell! Matthew 3:12 Whose fan [is] in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
1) He controls the perpetuality of it. Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [are], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
2) He controls the inhabitants of it! Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Conclusion: He is God! He is the Lord! He is Sovereign! God is Supreme Sovereign in creation, providence, and grace. He reigns over heaven and earth, all creatures and things being under His full control. WHAT DO YOU NEED THIS MORNING! It is all His!
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Temple Baptist Church - 4-27-2000
Intro: The People of The Cross
A. There Were Those That Did Not Want To Be There - vs 11-18, 24 (A Big Inconvenience)
1. Those who are not interested in the gospel and salvation
2. Religion is just an inconvenience (just don’t have the time)
3. Pilate - 27:18, 23-24 (washed his hands)
4. The Darkened Heart (will not allow the light of salvation to shine)
5. The Wayside Hearer - Matthew 13:4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
Matthew 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and
understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
B. There Were Those That Hated Christ - vs 19-23 (A Big Insult)
1. These are the RELIGIONISTS.
2. They are the mockers - 39, 40 (men of reprobate mind who are enemies of the cross)
3. They have their religion, but are not interested in Christ (they who are belligerent towards the things of God)
4. The Hard Heart
5. The Stony Ground Hearer - Matthew 13:5-6 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth: And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
Matthew 13:20-21 But he that received the seed into stony places, the
same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
6. Matthew 3:7-9 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
C. There Were Those That Rejected - vs 24-25 (A Big Intrusion)
1. Those who hear and choose a life of self and sin
2. They were just curious - vs 36 (just came to see what is going on, but had no real interest in salvation)
3. The Unrepentant Heart
4. Matthew 13:7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
Matthew 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that
heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of
riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
D. There Were Those Who Were Saved - vs 54, Luke 23:42 (A Blessed Interruption)
1. Came seeking and found eternal life in Jesus Christ
2. Matthew 13:8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
Matthew 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that
heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and
bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
1. The Call of The Cross - John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
a. The Person of The Cross - “And I, if I”
b. The Preaching of The Cross - “be lifted up”
c. The Position of The Cross - “from the earth”
d. The Promise of The Cross -”will draw”
e. The People of The Cross - “all men”
2. The Choice of The Cross
a. The Invitation of The Cross Extended - Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
1) The Choice Is Personal - “You” is understood
Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any
man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and
will sup with him, and he with me.
Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let
him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And
whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
2) The Choice Is Limited - “Come unto me”
John 10:7, 9 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say
unto you, I am the door of the sheep. I am the door: by me if any
man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the
life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none
other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be
3) The Choice Is Wonderful - “I will give you rest”
Isaiah 61:1-3 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because
the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek;
he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to
the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of
vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; To appoint unto
them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil
of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of
heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the
planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.
4) The Choice Is Imperative - “Come” John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
b. The Conclusion of The Cross Explained - John 3:18-21 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
1) The Condition of The Cross - Believing vs. Unbelieving
2) The Choice of The Cross - Cometh vs. Neither Cometh
3) The Contrast of The Cross - Doeth Truth vs. Loved Darkness
4) The Condemnation of The Cross - Not Condemned vs. Condemned
“Alas and did my Saviour bleed, and did my Sovereign die;
Would he devote that sacred head for such a worm as I?
At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light;
And the burden of my heart rolled away;
It was there, by faith, I received my sight;
And now, I am happy all the day!
Was it for crimes that I have done He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity, Grace unknown, and love beyond degree!
At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light;
And the burden of my heart rolled away;
It was there, by faith, I received my sight;
And now, I am happy all the day!”