Temple Baptist Church - 11-28-2018
Hebrews 2:9-18; 3:1-2
A. The three offices of Christ are Prophet, Priest, and King.
1. He was Prophet while in this world.
2. He will be King in the Millennium and throughout eternity.
2. Today, He is our High Priest.
B. Our Saviour’s work on earth is done; the gospel complete; salvation’s door open. Verses 9-12.
1. Because of Condescending – verse 9. Galatians 4:4-7 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, (5) To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. (6) And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. (7) Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
2. Because of His Vicarious Substitution – verse 9. Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3. Because of His Great Salvation – Verse 10. 1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
4. Because of His Sanctification – Verse 11. 1 Corinthians 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
5. Because of His Acceptance – Verse 11-12. Ephesians 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
C. Jesus Christ is the Apostle and High Priest of our profession: Hebrews 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
1. An apostle represents God to man while a high priest represents man to God.
2. In His life, Jesus Christ represented God to man but in His death, He represented man to God.
D. Jesus Christ is our Merciful High Priest – Verses 13-18.
1. The work of the Old Testament Priesthood was 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Psalms 134:1 Behold, bless ye the LORD, all ye servants of the LORD, which by night stand in the house of the LORD.
2. The work of our High Priest, Jesus Christ, is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. While we sleep, while we are awake, He is working on our behalf.
Hebrews 7:24 But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.
Lamentations 3:22-23 It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. (23) They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
E. Jesus Christ is our Merciful High Priest.
1. Jesus Christ is a Merciful High Priest in Whom we can Trust. – verse 13. Jesus Christ trusts God the Father and, as He intercedes for us, we trust the Father’s will in our lives.
Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
2. Jesus Christ is a Merciful High Priest that has conquered death. Verse 14.
1 Corinthians 15:53-57 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. (54) So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. (55) O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? (56) The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. (57) But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
3. Jesus Christ is a Merciful High Priest that has removed our fears. Verse 15.
Philippians 1:21-23 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. (22) But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. (23) For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
4. Jesus Christ is a Merciful High Priest that can make reconciliation for the sins of His people. Verses 16-17.
2 Corinthians 5:18-21 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; (19) To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. (20) Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. (21) For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
5. Jesus Christ is a Merciful High Priest who can relate to the temptations of His people. Verse 18.
Hebrews 5:2 Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way; for that he himself also is compassed with infirmity.