Temple Baptist Church - 12-30-2018
A. Last week, we biblically answered the question, “Hath God cast away his people?” “God forbid” was the biblical answer. God loves Israel just as He love them in Jacob’s day. He loves them with an everlasting love.
B. The purpose of God concerning Israel has never changed and—one day— “Israel, my glory”—will once again be gloriously restored. God’s purpose always has and always will stand.
C. Though a remnant is being saved, Israel—as a nation—is blind to the New Testament and the Gospel. Missionaries cannot come to Israel as church planters. They must come as students, teachers, business people, or visitor visas. Church planting missionaries have their visas rejected.
D. Their eyes saw but they did not see. Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. (They saw Christ but did not see who He was. They tempted Him, they taunted Him, the tested Him, and crucified Him.)
E. Their ears heard but they did not hear. Romans 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
1. Verse 3. Killed God’s Prophets. “they have killed thy prophets” Time and time again, God sent men of God to Israel and they systematically refused to hear God’s voice.
Luke 13:34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
Proverbs 29:1 He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy.
Jeremiah 17:23 But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction.
Zechariah 7:11-12 But they refused to hearken, and pulled away the shoulder, and stopped their ears, that they should not hear. (12) Yea, they made their hearts as an adamant stone, lest they should hear the law, and the words which the LORD of hosts hath sent in his spirit by the former prophets: therefore came a great wrath from the LORD of hosts.
2. Verse 3. Destroyed God’s Altars. “and digged down thine altars”
Romans 11:9-10 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: (10) Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway. (Their sacrifices became ritual, not faith.)
Hebrews 13:9-13 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein. (10) We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. (11) For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. (12) Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. (13) Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.
G. Israel continually rejected the longsuffering and grace of God.
H. “Unto this day” speaks of the continuance of Israel’s blindness. They remained blinded to the Gospel in our day. Benjamin Netanyahu wishes us a Merry Christmas but, like the world, does not recognizes the Saviour as the Messiah.
1. Israel was blinded because of National Pride. Acts 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean. (To the Jew, Gentiles were sub-human and often called Gentile dogs. Jews do not listen to the witness of Gentile dogs. They though that they had to be right with God because they were of His people, Israel. Many people of our day believe that they are going to heaven based upon their parent’s faith.)
John 8:39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.
2. Israel was blinded because of their rejection of God’s Messiah, their Propitiation. John 19:14-15 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King! (15) But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar. (Jesus Christ is LORD of all and there is no salvation without acknowledgement and acceptance of His Person. You cannot be saved and reject the Saviour!)
Isaiah 8:13-15 Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken.
3. Israel was blinded because of their Self-Righteousness. Romans 10:3-4 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. (4) For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. (Salvation is to everyone that believeth, not everyone that worketh! Repentance from dead works and faith toward God is the only way of salvation.)