Temple Baptist Church - 8-4-2019
A. In these verses, we find both mystery and revelation of mystery. A mystery is something difficult to explain or to understand. In the mysteries of the Bible, we find the mind and purpose of God, hidden from the sinner and revealed through the Spirit to the saint.
Romans 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
Isaiah 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1 Corinthians 2:9-10 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
B. When we think of God and eternity, our understanding and reasoning break down. Before there was anything, there was God! “In the beginning God” is the most profound theological statement found in the Bible. There was never a time when God was not and there will never be a time when God will not be. He is the Eternal One. He is the Self Sufficient One. He needs nothing or anybody. He knows all. He is everywhere. He can do anything. He is sovereign!
C. In His foreknowledge, He planned it all. He knew us. “Has it ever occurred to you that nothing has ever occurred to God?” He is not surprised. He is not baffled. He is not shaken. He is not confused. He does not worry. He does not make mistakes. He counsels Himself and needs none from you or I. He is God!
D. Before something happens, He knows. Before something happens, He prepared. I want to look at these verses for a moment and marvel at His infinite wisdom, grace, and love for mankind. He loves every man, woman, and child that has ever lived or will ever live. His love is unspeakable, incomprehensible, but—thank God—knowable!
1. Before There Was A Sinner, There Was A Saviour! 1 Peter 1:18-20 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
a. The Lamb Spoken Of - Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Genesis 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
b. The Lamb Manifested - John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
1 John 1:2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
1 John 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
c. The Lamb Slain - Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
2. Before There Was Guilt, There Was Grace! 2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
a. Before Man Ever Strayed, There Was Grace To Bring Him Home - Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
b. Before Man Ever Sinned, There Was Grace To Make Him Clean - Romans 3:23-25 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25 Whom God hath set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
c. Before Man Ever Became Separated From God, There Was Grace To Reconcile Him - Isaiah 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid [his] face from you, that he will not hear.
2 Corinthians 5:18 And all things [re]of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
1) Grace That Saves - Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
2) Grace That Is Sufficient - Romans 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
3. Before There Was The Punishment Of Death, There Was The Promise Of Life! Titus 1:1-3 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; 2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began; 3 But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;
a. To Those Who Would Come To Christ - John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
b. To Those Who Would Confess Christ - Romans 10:9-10 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
c. To Those Who Would Claim Christ - Romans 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Mark 8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels. (Before The First Sinner Ever Bowed, Christ Was Ready To Receive Him!)
4. Before There Was A Hell, There Was A Heaven! Ephesians 1:7-10 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; 8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; 9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: 10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
a. For A Redeemed People - John 14:1-4 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. 4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
b. For A Righteous People - Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
c. For A Reconciled People - Psalms 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, [so] far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
Conclusion: I cannot comprehend, nor can I explain all that God has!
1. There Is More - 1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
2. And It Is All Ours - Romans 8:17-18 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint–heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified together. 18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.