Temple Baptist Church - 3-23-2011
A. I will not spend weeks dealing with the doctrine of Pneumatology at this time because of the length of the subject matter but I do want to give a concise picture of His person and work in relationship to the believer.
B. We find in our text verse that the Holy Spirit is a Person with personality. I do not say this in a frivolous manner. He it Almighty God in the person of the Holy Ghost: co-equal with God the Father and God the Son in both power and attributes.
C. The Holy Ghost indwells every believer from the moment of salvation “until the redemption of the purchased possession, which is the Body of Christ.. If you have not the Spirit of God, then you are none of His according to the Bible. Not only does the Holy Ghost indwell every believer, He also does the same work in each of us.
D. I feel that, at times, we fail to realize His presence as we go through our day.
1. Everywhere we go, the Holy Ghost goes with us.
2. Everything we do, the Holy Ghost sees.
3. Everything we see, the Holy Ghost sees.
4. Everything we say, the Holy Ghost hears.
5. Everything we think, the Holy Ghost knows.
E. The Holy Ghost can be:
1. The Holy Spirit Can Be Resisted - Acts 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
2. The Holy Spirit Can Be Grieved - Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
3. The Holy Spirit Can Be Vexed - Isaiah 63:10 But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them.
F. Here is a short synopsis of His work that is vital to our saving, safety, and security!
1. He adopts us - Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
2. He indwells us - John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
3. He assures us - Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
4. He teaches us – John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
5. He guides us - John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
6. He produces within us - Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, (23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
7. He prays for us - Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. (27) And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
8. He seals us - Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.