Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Self Examination

Temple Baptist Church - 12-24-2008

2 Corinthians 13:1-5

Introduction:

A. As we near the end of this Second Corinthian Epistle, we find an appeal for self-examination. Not an examination of others or of the church corporately, but an honest look at oneself in the light of Scripture. So many church people keep their eyes upon the short comings of others without every taking a biblical look at themselves.

B. It does us well also to remember that the Corinthian Church was a very carnal church. The First Corinthian Epistle was sixteen chapters of rebuke for their sinful, self-centered practices.

C. The reason for this call for self-examination is because of the possibility of self-deception concerning one’s salvation. We find in the context (12:19-21; 13:1-3) that some remained in a sinful condition after hearing the Word of God. The Holy Spirit, through the Apostle Paul, dealt with their sin and—at the time of this Second Corinthian Epistle—there had been no change in their behavior.

D. Paul reminds them in verse four that those who are truly saved, though weak in the flesh, can live for God by His power. There is no such thing as a believer who cannot live for God. If they cannot, they need to be saved. It is either they cannot or that they will not!

1. We Need To Examine Self In The Realm Of Salvation – vs. 5

a. Paul uses the word “reprobate” in this particular verse.

reprobate n.
1. A morally unprincipled person.
2. One who is predestined to damnation.

adj.
1. Morally unprincipled; shameless.
2. Rejected by God and without hope of salvation.

tr.v. rep·ro·bat·ed, rep·ro·bat·ing, rep·ro·bates
1. To disapprove of; condemn.
2. To abandon to eternal damnation. Used of God.

b. People who have no change of lifestyle may be such.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

c. People who have no conviction to serve God may be such.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned. (God’s people can grieve and vex the Holy Spirit but the conviction and knowledge of right is still there.)

d. People who have a rebellious attitude may be such.

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: (Sheep follow while goats butt!)

e. People who have no chastisement from God may be such.

Hebrews 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

f. God’s people are both convicted and chastised! If that is you, you need to be saved. Many professing believers just need to get in!

2. We Need To Examine Self In The Realm Of Sanctification And Service

a. David said this in Psalms 26:2, “Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.”

b. There Needs To Be An Examination Of Walk (Unbroken fellowship through honesty.)

Luke 6:42 Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother’s eye.

James 4:11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.

b. There Needs To Be An Examination Of Motivation (Why we do what we do.)

Matthew 10:37-38 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

c. There Needs To Be An Examination Of Associations (Who we talk with; who we walk with; who we agree with.)

Psalms 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

Psalms 119:63 I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts.

Jeremiah 15:17 I sat not in the assembly of the mockers, nor rejoiced; I sat alone because of thy hand: for thou hast filled me with indignation.

d. There Needs To Be An Examination Of Confession (Are we honest with the God who knows our thoughts?)

Isaiah 1:16-18 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Psalms 51:1-4 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

e. There Needs To Be An Examination Of Witness (A debt of gratitude.)

Psalms 116:12-14, 18-19 What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me? I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD. I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people… I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people, In the courts of the LORD’S house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise ye the LORD.

f. There Needs To Be An Examination Of Faithfulness (We live in days of unfaithfulness and lame excuses for unfaithfulness.)

Psalms 27:4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

g. There Needs To Be An Examination Of Integrity (David said, “I have walked in mine integrity.”)

Psalms 26:1 Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the LORD; therefore I shall not slide.

h. There Needs To Be An Examination Of Steadfastness (Consistency in both personal walk with the Lord and fellowship with the saints.)

1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

No comments: