Sunday, September 28, 2008
1 Thessalonians 5:1-11
A. In the verses, Paul, writing to the Thessalonica Church, gives instruction concerning the last days and the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
B. In verse 1 of our text, we can understand the Signs Of His Coming:
1. We can see the Signs Of Noah’s Day - Matthew 24:36-39 But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. 37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
2. We can see the Signs Of Lot’s Day - Luke 17:28-30 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; 29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed [them] all. 30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.
3. We can see the Signs Of Laodicea’s Day - Revelation 3:15-17 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
C. In verse 2, we find the Surety Of His Coming! We, as God’s children, understand that the Lord Jesus Christ is coming again and that His coming in eminent! As the world sleeps, we must watch!
John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, [there] ye may be also.
Acts 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
2 Thessalonians 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and [by] our gathering together unto him,
Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
D. In verses 2-3, we can see the Suddenness Of His Coming. He is coming as a thief. Unannounced! He is coming quickly. In an hour when the world is not looking, He will suddenly appear for the Church and the Tribulation Period will begin for this world.
E. In verses 4-5, we can see the Sadness Of His Coming. The Church will go to Heaven while the billions of this Earth will perish! No warnings other than the preached Word. No second chances for those who have heard the message of salvation. Family and friends who are lost will eternally perish!
F. We that are saved both know that He is coming and are to be looking for His appearing.
2 Timothy 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
G. Here, we find Paul’s admonition to the Church in light of the coming of our Lord.
1. Be Not Asleep! Vs. 6-7
a. Sleep causes a lack of activity
b. Sleep causes a loss of consciousness
c. Sleep cause us to dream and lose reality
2. Be Not Drunk! Vs. 6-8
a. Drunkenness is from participation
b. Drunkenness causes dullness of the senses
c. Drunkenness enjoys the company of other drunks
3. Be Not Faithless! Vs. 8
a. Saving faith, yes! 1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
b. Living faith, not much! Luke 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily.
Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?
4. Be Not Unloving! Vs. 8
a. Sinfulness is affecting us – Matthew 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
b. Humanism is affecting us - Philippians 2:4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
5. Be Not Discouraged! Vs. 8-11
a. By helping one another - Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
b. By expecting Him – 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
2 Corinthians 11:1-4
A. The world has altered its perception of the person and work of our Lord Jesus Christ. They did so by attacking His Word and His character. In the same breath, the Holy Ghost introduces “another spirit, which ye have not received.” They have not only attacked the Son of God but they have also attacked the Spirit of God.
B. It is important to realize just how exalted the Holy Ghost is in His position and work. Listen to the words of our Lord Jesus concerning the Holy Ghost:
Luke 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. (Blaspheme – to speak evil of)
C. This “third” Person of the Trinity is very special in both His position and work. The world’s view of the Holy Ghost, as is their view of Jesus Christ, is not a biblical one. The “another spirit” of this world is not the Holy Ghost of God.
D. There are numerous “spirits” in this world and many these are devilish and deceptive! We often call them “demons” or “devils.” Most of those who claim that they have and are operating in the power of the Holy Ghost have “another spirit.”
1. Saved People Can Be Of The Wrong Spirit - Luke 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.
2. Saved People Can Try The Spirits - 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
E. A large part of the spiritual deception or the “falling away” of our day has to do with an “unholy” spirit that is being pushed by these false teachers and preachers.
Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; (These “seducing spirits” produce “doctrines of devils.”)
F. As I did not want to do a study, at this time, on the Doctrine of Christ—I will also not go into the Doctrine of the Holy Ghost in depth. I just want our people to be exposed to the errors of “I want to look at this “another spirit” for a few minutes tonight and draw a contrast to the Holy Spirit whom God has given to us.
G. I certainly believe in the person and work of the Holy Spirit because He lives within me! What a wonderful Person is the Spirit of God! He is as much God as God the Father and God the Son! “Which ye have not received!” This “another spirit” is not the blessed Holy Ghost that lives within my soul!
1. I have been saved for 32 years and have never been “slain in the spirit.”
2. I have been saved for 32 years and have never “spoken in tongues.”
3. I have been saved for 32 years and have never “barked like a dog.”
4. I have been saved for 32 years and have never “laughed uncontrollably.”
5. I was saved in and have attended fundamental, soul winning, missions hearted, hell fire preaching, sin hating, sinner loving, praising, worshiping churches since my salvation and have never heard one instance of speaking in tongues or being “slain in the spirit!”
6. I have sat under some of the godliest men of God that have ever walked in shoe leather and have never seen one of them “slain in the spirit” or heard one of the speak in tongues.
7. I have been in wonderful revivals and camp meetings where the Holy Ghost was both present and moving in the hearts of the people with the altars full of weeping believers as well as people being born into God’s family. Not one instance of either tongues or being “slain in the spirit.”
8. Our church has been flooded over the years with great missionaries who have gone around the world preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ with thousands coming to Christ. They report to our church through prayer letters and in person. Not one instance of being “slain in the spirit” or speaking in tongues.
9. I have read about the great revivals that took place both here in America and around the world. Revivals that turned nations upside down and thrust missionaries in to the harvest fields of the world without one instance of being “slain in the spirit” or speaking in tongues!!
10. What is the problem? Is God a respecter of persons? Acts 10:34 “Then Peter opened [his] mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons.” (God is not a respecter of persons!)
11. What is the problem? Does the Holy Ghost only give spiritual gifts to certain denominations that seek them? 1 Corinthians 12:11 “But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.” (The Holy Ghost gives spiritual gifts as He wills, not as we seek!)
ANOTHER SPIRIT THAT IS NOT THE HOLY SPIRIT
1. This “Another Spirit” Is A Spirit That Is Disobedient To The Word Of God – John 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; (The Holy Spirit that I received never goes contrary to God’s Word! He causes me to be obedient to it.)
a. I do not want to get into a study on spiritual gifts, but do want to show that the “spirit” of today does not conform to clear biblical teaching on these gifts. Let us look at the most commonly used spiritual gift of this “another spirit:” speaking in another tongue. Speaking in “another tongue” is a common practice in many Pentecostal and Charismatic churches where the emphasis is upon the Holy Spirit.
b. In 1 Corinthians 14, we find God’s clear directives for the regulation of biblical tongues. Though the gift of tongues has now passed, it was a very present gift of that day, so God regulated the use and misuse of the gift. I will only make a few points concerning the misuse of this gift by “another spirit.”
c. I want to clarify, at this point, that there are many very well meaning people in these movements. They are doctrinally incorrect and are continually confused by both false teachers and their own emotions.
d. I also feel the need to establish that their emotions, feelings, and experiences are not the basis for true doctrine! Our doctrine is found solely within the confines of the Bible and must adhere strictly to its teachings. Otherwise, we get into extra-biblical revelation and every man can then do what is right in his own eyes.
e. Biblical tongues were to be used by men only in the church!
1) At Pentecost, there were about 120 disciples consisting of both men and women. When all were filled with the Holy Ghost, only the men exercised the gift of tongues! Acts 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
2) At Corinth, the gift of tongues was being abused so God gave the regulation of tongues in the church. Women were forbidden to speak tongues in the church! 1 Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law. (The vast majority of “tongue speakers” in the Pentecostal/Charismatic Movement are women! The Holy Spirit is not the author of confusion and does not operated contrary to Scripture.)
3) Tongues were to be used by 2 or 3 at the most in a service and only one could speak in another tongue at one time. 1 Corinthians 14:27 If any man speak in an [unknown] tongue, [let it be] by two, or at the most [by] three, and [that] by course; and let one interpret. (“Another spirit” causes multiple usages of “tongues” in one service with more than one speaking at a time.)
4) Tongues were to always be interpreted. 1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. (Modern “tongues” authored by “another spirit” are rarely interpreted.)
f. This misuse of “tongues” alone shows that “another spirit” is a “disobedient spirit!” God’s Holy Spirit is never disobedient to Scripture!
2. This “Another Spirit” Is A Spirit That Calls Attention To Himself - John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you.
a. The Holy Ghost Draws The Lost!
1) The Holy Ghost Convicts The Sinner - John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
2) The Holy Ghost Convinces The Sinner - John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: (That “righteousness” is Christ Jesus.)
3) The Holy Ghost Cautions The Sinner - John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
b. The Holy Ghost Glorifies The Lord! John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you.
c. “Another Spirit” Brings Attention To Itself!
1) We Hear Of “Holy Ghost” Revivals. Revival is not about the Holy Ghost but rather about people getting right with the Lord.
2) We Hear The Emphasis Placed Upon The Holy Ghost And Gifts. This “another spirit” glorifies the gifts and not the Giver of the gifts! Our emphasis is to be place upon the Lord Jesus Christ!
3. This “Another Spirit” Is A Spirit That Leads Into Doctrinal Error - 1 John 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
a. The Holy Ghost Leads Into Truth And Truth Into Doctrinal Correctness - John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
b. “Another Spirit” Leads Into Doctrinal Error - 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; (Experiences and feelings replace the solid foundation of biblical Truth! “I know what the Bible says but I know how I felt and what happened to me” has become the criteria for determining Truth.)
4. This “Another Spirit” Is A Spirit That Does Not Lead Into Holiness - Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
a. The Pentecostal Movement began as a “holiness” movement but, the farther they got from the truth of God’s Word concerning the person and work of the Holy Spirit, the farther they got from the roots of “holiness!” They were once known by separation from the world. They are now known for saturation by the world!
b. “Another spirit” now fills unholy vessels! The preachers have been caught in almost every imaginable sin and still speak in tongues, heal, are slain in the spirit, etc. The fruit of the Spirit is just the opposite of what is going on today.
5. This “Another Spirit” Is A Spirit That Leads Into Ecumenism.
a. The gifts of this “another spirit” has crossed most of the doctrinal barriers that have long separated denominations. There was a time when Bible Doctrine was what either separated or brought together people into particular religions groups. This “another spirit” is now tearing down the differences and healing the divisions. THESE DIFFERENCES AND DIVISIONS NEED BE!
b. Now, Pentecostals, Charismatics, Catholics, Protestants, Baptists, and even many cultic denominations can come together under the false premise of love while sharing the same spiritual gifts. Doctrinal distinction is now gone and we hear most people say, “It doesn’t really matter where you go to church. It only matters what you have in your heart!” This lie did not come from either the Bible or from the Holy Ghost!
c. The Holy Ghost commands separation from heresy - 2 Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,
Romans 16:17-18 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
Conclusion: The “another spirit” of our day is not the Holy Spirit that I received when I was saved! This “another spirit” is a troubling spirit. It is a shaking spirit.
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Song of Solomon 2:8-17
A. Throughout the Song of Solomon, we find the conversing of the Bridegroom (Beloved) with the Bride (Love). In verse 8, we find the phrase “The voice of my beloved!” Notice with me the exclamation mark as the end of the statement. This is not just a voice among many, but a very special voice. The exclamation mark shows the thrill of excitement in the voice of the Bride at the sound of His voice.
B. Over the years, I have had many of God’s men call me and try to disguise their voices in jest. Some have claimed to be IRS accountants, the Vatican in Rome, some a liberal TV preacher, etc. As a norm, I can pick up their voices as soon as they begin to speak. I am good at recognizing voices.
C. Years ago, a blind evangelist came to be with us for a couple of years. He could instantly recognize most of us by our voice. The reason for his perception of voices is this: he cannot see us so, as we rely upon sight, he relies upon voice. When I see you, I recognize you. When he hears you, he recognizes you.
D. Thus it is with the voice of the Lord. We do not see Him but both we and the world can easily recognize His voice. Here, the Bride hears a voice like none other. As I can so easily recognize the voice of my wife, we can recognize the voice of our Beloved!
E. The voice of God or the word of God is heard speaking in many instances and different ways in the Bible. It is a voice like none other. A majestic voice! A powerful voice! An authoritative voice! A gracious voice (as a general rule)! Christ spoke as no other:
Luke 2:46-47 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
Luke 4:22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph’s son?
Mark 4:41 And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?
Mark 10:24a And the disciples were astonished at his words.
Matthew 7:29 For he taught them as [one] having authority, and not as the scribes.
John 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am [he], they went backward, and fell to the ground.
F. I want to look at the Voice of the Lord for a few minutes tonight:
1. We Find The Voice Of God In Creation - Genesis 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. (“God said” is found 10x in Genesis 1 alone as He spoke this world into existence. What power and majesty was this Voice of God in creation! A voice so powerful that from nothing it created the universe and all that is in it!)
Psalms 33:6-9 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. 7 He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses. 8 Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. 9 For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.
2. We Find The Voice Of God In Nature - Psalms 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. (The Voice of God shouts from the stars overhead to the flowers of the fields! Everything in nature declares the glory of God to the point that “the fool hath said in his heart, There is not God!)
Psalms 97:6 The heavens declare his righteousness, and all the people see his glory.
Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, [There is] no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, [there is] none that doeth good.
Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
3. We Find The Voice Of God in Inspiration - 2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost. (When we read God’s Word, His Voice is heard on every page and in every word! A Book like no other is the Bible for it speaks to its reader the very mind and will of God!)
Romans 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
2 Samuel 23:2 The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word [was] in my tongue.
Luke 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (Inspiration – breath)
4. We Find The Voice of God In Invitation - Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Do you remember that small, still Voice that spoke to you when you came to Christ? God spoke to my heart in an inaudible Voice that night, convincing me of sin, righteousness, and judgment to come! No one else in a congregation of over 1,000 heard Him speak to me that night but I heard Him distinctly and understood His Voice!)
Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Isaiah 45:22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else.
John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
Hebrews 3:7 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
5. We Find The Voice Of God In Communion - John 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. (My wife’s favorite song is “In The Garden” in which one verse goes like this: “He speaks and the sound of His voice is so sweet the birds hush their singing!” That Voice speaks to us all throughout our day as He seeks to guide, comfort, give peace, and fellowship with the believer! I so often speak audibly back to him and others wonder as I seemingly “talk with myself.”)
John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
a. It is a Solitary Voice –It cannot be mistaken!
b. It is a Sweet Voice - There is none like His!
c. It is a Sure Voice – It will never lead you wrong!
d. It is a Sympathetic Voice – He is touched with the feeling of your infirmities!
6. We Find The Voice Of God In Gathering - Revelation 4:1 After this I looked, and, behold, a door [was] opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard [was] as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter. (This Voice is one only to be heard by the redeemed of the Lord! A Trmpet as one “talking with me!” “Come up hither” it will say to the Bride of Christ! We will then be home at last and so shall we ever be with the Lord.)
1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
7. We Find The Voice Of God In Judgment - Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (How awesome and fearful that Voice in the Day of Judgment! “Depart from me” instead of “Come unto me!” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God!)
Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
A. I cannot over emphasis the importance of faithfulness to the Church in these last days.
Hebrews 10:22-25 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) 24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
B. In spite of this clear biblical admonition, we find a growing “falling away” from both the house of God and the things of God. God always had a place sanctified for the purpose of both worship and sacrifice. It is not up to us to pick the place of our testimony and tithe. It is the place of God’s choosing!
C. Why the emphasis upon faithfulness to God’s House? Because it is an anchor that holds fast our ship in the angry seas of this life. With “change and decay in all around I see,” we need a benchmark! We need a reference point that is unchanging from which to measure the change of the world. He will “hide” us in times of trouble.
D. God placed His blessing upon the Church! It is His blessing, not mine. Let’s look at some things that God said about the benefit and blessing of faithfulness to God’s House. “AND SO MUCH THE MORE, AS YE SEE THE DAY APPROACHING!”
1. To many, Church has been a Disappointment – “Preacher, it wasn’t very exciting today!” That is because of you! You will only get out of it what you put into it!
2. To many, Church has been a Discipline – Discipline is good but the wrong motive for coming to church.
3. To many, Church has been a Drudgery – Many long for services to be over. They are the “clock watchers.”
4. To some, Church is a Delight – This is what God intended!
1. The House Of The Lord Is A Place Of Contemplation - Psalms 27:4 One [thing] have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. (While walking in this world, we sometimes lose sight of Him. In Church we behold Jesus Christ and His glory. “A wonderful Saviour is Jesus my Lord; A wonderful Saviour to me!” How beautiful and glorious Jesus Christ is to us who love Him! Here, we are taught about Him; here, we preach about Him; here, we exalt Him; here, we praise Him!)
2. The House Of The Lord Is A Place Of Satisfaction - Psalms 36:8 They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures. (As when I leave Ryan’s Steakhouse I am satisfied, thus it is with God’s House. I leave the church fulfilled and satisfied!)
3. The House Of The Lord Is A Place Of Worship - Psalms 135:1-3 Praise ye the LORD. Praise ye the name of the LORD; praise [him], O ye servants of the LORD. 2 Ye that stand in the house of the LORD, in the courts of the house of our God, 3 Praise the LORD; for the LORD [is] good: sing praises unto his name; for [it is] pleasant. (I know that we are to worship at home, in school, on the job, in a deer stand J, etc., but worship in church is different and concentrated. It is all about Him. We have come aside from the world just for this purpose. “Come Worship With Us!” is our slogan.)
4. The House Of The Lord Is A Place Of Fellowship - Psalms 55:14 We took sweet counsel together, [and] walked unto the house of God in company. (The church is a place of singing, praising, testifying, encouraging, exhorting, and breaking bread together. The most wonderful people in the world are your brothers and sisters in the Lord.)
5. The House Of The Lord Is A Place Of Offering - Psalms 66:13 I will go into thy house with burnt offerings: I will pay thee my vows. (We bring our tithes and offerings to the church. What a blessing to give back to the Lord a portion of what He has given to us. I love giving to the church!)
6. The House Of The Lord Is A Place Of Holiness - Psalms 93:5 Thy testimonies are very sure: holiness becometh thine house, O LORD, for ever. (The liberal pastors allow God’s House to become a casual, worldly place in our day. I believe that the place of worship is still the Sanctuary!! It is set apart from this world. God’s people should dress right, act right, speak right, sing right, behave right in church. Now they dress like they are going to the park. Many eat in donuts and drink coffee during the teaching and preaching of God’s Word. It is a special place where we go to worship the Lord in the “beauty of holiness.” It is now called an “auditorium instead of a “sanctuary.”)
7. The House Of The Lord Is A Place Of Joy - Psalms 122:1 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD. (I love the church and being in church! What is the matter with folks who do not? Do you hear the excitement of the Psalmist? “I was glad!”)
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
2 Corinthians 11:1-4
A. We need to remember again at this point that there are two effective ways to attack a person:
1. Attack his Word – a man is no better than his word and Jesus Christ is no better than His Word!
a) If His Word is inerrant and infallible only in the original autographs, then we do not have the Word of God today. If this Bible that I hold in my hand in the work of man through preservation and interpretation, then it is errant and fallible at best and the “faith once delivered” is left up to the interpretation of man.
b) No Word of God means no Faith! You cannot have it both ways: either it is God’s Word and, therefore inspired, or it is the word of Man containing the Word of God and fallible!!!!!!! LIBERAL, please leave this poor old uneducated preacher to his ways because I am perfectly satisfied with the King James Bible and perfectly deluded in what I think about it.
2. Attack his Character – a man is not better than his character and Jesus Christ is no better than His character!
a) The spirit of antichrist is all around us as it was already in the days of the apostles. “Another Jesus, whom we have not preached” is the Jesus of both the world and the “Bible Belt!” The Jesus Christ that is portrayed in movies and liberal pulpits is not the Jesus Christ of this Bible that I hold. The Jesus Christ of the “Bible Belt” is one popular with the masses of people.
b) It is interesting that God has this to say about popular preachers:
Luke 6:26 Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.
c) Thus it is with Christ!
John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Isaiah 53:2-3 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, [there is] no beauty that we should desire him. 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were [our] faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Luke 19:14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this [man] to reign over us.
Luke 20:13-14 Then said the lord of the vineyard, What shall I do? I will send my beloved son: it may be they will reverence [him] when they see him. 14 But when the husbandmen saw him, they reasoned among themselves, saying, This is the heir: come, let us kill him, that the inheritance may be ours.
B. In 2 John, we find the admonition of the Holy Ghost concerning those who have not the doctrine of Christ:
2 John 7-11 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8 Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. 9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
1. Identify Them - 2 Timothy 4:3-5 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
2. Try Them - 1 John 4:1-3 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
3. Avoid Them - Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
4. Rebuke Them - Titus 1:10-13 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: 11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre’s sake. 12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. 13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;
5. Reject Them - 2 John 10-11 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into [your] house, neither bid him God speed: 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. Do not allow them in your home either through the doorway or the airway!
C. Tonight, I want to look at the Person and work of Christ. Our text says that the apostates teach “another Jesus.” This denial of both the character and the work of Christ is so prevalent in our day and needs to be exposed. The “Jesus” of this world is not the Jesus of the Bible! We will not study the “Doctrine of Christ” because of the magnitude of this doctrine. I simply want to look at the “Jesus” of this world for a few minutes. How does the world see Jesus Christ?
1. “Another Jesus” Who Is Not Almighty God!
a. The Cults Deny Him Through Their Doctrine – 2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. (Damnable lies that go from Jesus Christ being Satan’s angel brother to His being Mary Son.)
b. The Lost Deny Him Through Their Deeds – Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
2. “Another Jesus” Who Is Not Lord! This battle has even raged within the ranks of fundamentalism.
Acts 10:36 The word which [God] sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)
Revelation 19:16 And he hath on [his] vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
a. He Is Not Lord In Salvation – John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. (Just pray this little prayer any time you like and be saved. Salvation is God’s Way and God’s Time!)
b. He Is Not Lord In Sanctification – 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Ephesians 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: (You can be saved and live any way you want. A salvation that requires no repentance! Not to repent is not to be saved!)
3. “Another Jesus” Who Cannot Save!
a. Cannot Save Completely - Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
b. Cannot Save Eternally – John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand. (The world’s perspective of salvation is Jesus Christ plus! Either works enable their salvation or keep their salvation. What is it about eternal life that they cannot understand?)
4. “Another Jesus” Who Does Not Love!
a. Some Say That Christ Died For The Elite – Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 1:14 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. (He died for the rich and the poor. He died for every race!)
b. Some Say That Christ Died For The Elect – John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world. (Some say that He died for the Elite while others say He died for the Elect. He died for both rich and poor. He died for every race. He died for everyone! What is it about the “whole world” that they cannot understand?)
5. “Another Jesus” Who Is Not Holy!
a. A Jesus Who Will Not Judge Sin - Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.
b. A Jesus Who Will Not Judge Sinners - Revelation 20:12-13 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
6. “Another Jesus” Who Is Not Coming!
a. The World Sleeps In The Night - 2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were] from the beginning of the creation.
b. The Church Sleeps In The Night - 1 Thessalonians 5:6-7 Therefore let us not sleep, as [do] others; but let us watch and be sober. 7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
Romans 13:11 And that, knowing the time, that now [it is] high time to awake out of sleep: for now [is] our salvation nearer than when we believed.
Conclusion: The world’s perception of our Lord Jesus Christ is not a biblical one. This “Another Jesus” is the one being preached and believed upon by the world. It is not the One whom we have preached!
Monday, September 15, 2008
Introduction: This will probably be my last message in this series on “Abiding In Christ.”
A. Over the past few weeks, we have seen both the blessings and cursing of either abiding or not abiding in Christ. Abiding in Christ is a personal choice that God gives to every believer.
B. Do not misunderstand me at this point. God’s commandments are just that, commandments! He does not give us choices in this matter. “Abide in me” is a direct command with no options.
C. As His dear children, we continue to be “free moral agents” as God gives us the ability to choose right or wrong, to abide or not to abide.
D. He then lists the blessings and cursings as He did for the children of Israel as they came into the Promised Land. We also have our Mt. Ebal and Mt. Gerizim in the New Testament.
1. Abiding in Christ brings about blessing:
a) Abiding in Christ brings security - Psalms 91:1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
b) Abiding in Christ brings cleansing - John 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
c) Abiding in Christ Brings confidence - 1 John 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, [then] have we confidence toward God.
d) Abiding in Christ brings usefulness and fruitfulness - John 15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
e) Abiding in Christ brings victory - 1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks [be] to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
f) Abiding In Christ brings reward - Hebrews 6:10 For God [is] not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
2. Not abiding in Christ brings about cursing:
a) Not Abiding In Christ Brings About Pruning - John 15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every [branch] that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
b) Not Abiding In Christ Brings About Withering - Matthew 21:19 And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.
c) Not Abiding In Christ Brings About Burning - 1 Corinthians 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
d) Not Abiding In Christ Brings About Regret - Ecclesiastes 11:9-10 Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these [things] God will bring thee into judgment. 10 Therefore remove sorrow from thy heart, and put away evil from thy flesh: for childhood and youth [are] vanity.
e) Not Abiding In Christ Brings About Loss - 1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
E. At this point, I want to make a biblical observation: WE HAVE BEEN SOLD A “BILL OF GOODS” BUT SATAN AND THE WORLD!
1. The Bible says that the “god of this world” has blinded the minds of those who believe not and he has! The world is deluded! The world is deceived! The world is being destroyed!
2. What about the believer? Satan and the world has told the child of God that living for God does not pay! Satan and the world says that living for God is both hard and not worth while.
a) The Lord is our life!
b) The Lord is our Friend!
c) The Lord is our Protector!
d) The Lord is our Provider!
e) The Lord is our Comforter!
f) The Lord is our Joy!
g) The Lord is our Strength!
h) The Lord is our Wisdom!
i) The Lord is our Companion!
j) The Lord is the Lover of our soul!
F. And He is not worth living for? That is ludicrous!
THE SECRETS OF ABIDING
Psalms 25:12-14 What man [is] he that feareth the LORD? him shall he teach in the way [that] he shall choose. 13 His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth. 14 The secret of the LORD [is] with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.
1. The Secret Of Happiness In Life Is Abiding In Christ (Happiness is a result of an inward joy and contentment. These, for the believer, come only through abiding in Christ.)
a. You Will Never Find Joy Outside Of Christ - Psalms 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence [is] fulness of joy; at thy right hand [there are] pleasures for evermore.
1 Peter 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see [him] not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
b. You Will Never Find Contentment Outside Of Christ - 1 Timothy 6:6 -11 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
c. You Will Never Find Fulfillment Outside Of Christ - Colossians 3:4 When Christ, [who is] our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
Philippians 1:21 For to me to live [is] Christ, and to die [is] gain.
2. The Secret Of Abiding In Christ Is Obedience (Obedience is a vital part of everyday life for everyone. So is obedience to God a vital part of the believer’s life.)
1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
a. You Must Obey The Gospel To Be Saved - Romans 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
b. You Must Obey The Truth To Be Safe - Galatians 5:7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?
c. You Must Obey The Spirit To Be Sanctified - 1 Peter 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, [see that ye] love one another with a pure heart fervently:
3. The Secret Of Obedience To Christ Is Love (Obedience is both easy and a blessing when the One subject to is the Object of your love. “Lovest thou me more than these!”)
John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.
a. We Love Him For His Marvelous Grace - 1 Corinthians 1:4 I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
b. We Love Him For His Wonderful Goodness - Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
c. We Love Him For His Continual Graciousness - 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Monday, September 8, 2008
Temple Baptist Church - 9-7-2008
John 15:11, Philippians 4:4
A. Last week, we saw that abiding in Christ brings about the joy of the Lord in the life of the Christian. How can one walk in fellowship and harmony with Christ Jesus and not have that inner joy and peace that comes through being with Him?
B. Rejoicing is an outward expression of an inner joy! When your joy becomes “full” it overflows in tears and praise. There is an old saying, “When your cup gets full, the saucer gets the blessing!”
C. I want to look at the latter part of this verse again this morning. “That your joy might be full!” “Fulness of joy.”
1. Our Joy Comes Through Fellowship - Psalms 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence [is] fulness of joy; at thy right hand [there are] pleasures for evermore.
2. Our Joy Comes Through Faith - Philippians 1:25 And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith;
3. Our Joy Comes Through Faithfulness - Psalms 84:4 Blessed [are] they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.
D. One of our favorite revival verses is:
Psalms 85:6 Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?
1. Some would say that we need revival in order to have more zeal for the Lord but the Holy Ghost said we need rejoicing!
2. Some would say that we need revival in order to initiate soul winning in the church but the Holy Ghost said we need rejoicing!
3. Some would say that we need revival in order to increase the giving of God’s people but the Holy Ghost said we need rejoicing!
4. Some would say that we need revival in order to love one another more fervently but the Holy Ghost said we need rejoicing!
5. The Psalmist said that we need revival in order to “rejoice in thee.”
F. Revival means to come alive. Religion dampens and despises rejoicing by calling it emotionalism but God promotes rejoicing and requires it! A right relationship with the Lord encourages rejoicing and calls it “Revival!”
G. I want to look at rejoicing from a biblical perspective and then we will be able to see why the Lord placed so much emphasis on both joy and rejoicing.
H. Philippians 4:4 says, “Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.” Notice with me that the verse says to “rejoice in the Lord alway.”
1. To rejoice in all times and all seasons.
2. To rejoice in all conditions and all circumstances.
I. It is easy to rejoice when you are up on the mountain but, how can we rejoice in the bad times? By being full of the joy of the Lord. Keeping our hearts and minds stayed up on Him and not our surroundings.
J. Rejoicing is an important part of our Christian experience because of what it produces in us.
THE RESULTS OF REJOICING
1. Rejoicing Invigorates Our Soul Winning - Psalms 51:12-13 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me [with thy] free spirit. 13 [Then] will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
a. David was not a witness when his sinfulness took his joy!
b. When our witness fails, we need revival!
2. Rejoicing Improves Our Service - Acts 5:41-42 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name. 42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.
2 Corinthians 8:2 How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.
3. Rejoicing Initiates Our Fellowship - 1 Corinthians 12:26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
Proverbs 15:13 A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken. (Rejoicing is contagious.)
Acts 2:46-47 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
4. Rejoicing Increases Our Strength - Nehemiah 8:10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for [this] day [is] holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.
Isaiah 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh [himself] with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth [herself] with her jewels.
5. Rejoicing Introduces Our Testimony - Philippians 1:25-27 And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith; 26 That your rejoicing may be more abundant in Jesus Christ for me by my coming to you again. 27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; (The world watches us!)
Acts 16:23-25 And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast [them] into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely: 24 Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks. 25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
Conclusion: We are all different in our makeup but rejoicing is a command of God. We can rejoice in different ways: in tears, in testimonies, in singing, in vocal praise, but we are all to rejoice!
Friday, September 5, 2008
Temple Baptist Church - 9-3-2008
2 Corinthians 11:1-4
Introduction: I will probably take two weeks on this outline alone because of its importance.
A. We have looked at the “false teachers” in enough detail that you should be able to know them when you hear them. They are known by the words that they speak and the fruit that they bear. The Word of God clearly exposes their damnable heresies to the spiritual believer.
B. Tonight, I want to begin looking at the three-fold heresy described in verse 4 of this chapter.
1. Another Jesus (whom we have not preached)
2. Another Spirit (which ye have not received)
3. Another Gospel (which ye have not accepted)
C. These are paralleled in 2 Thessalonians 2 which describes the “falling away” heresies of the end time. Let us look at them for a moment.
2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and [by] our gathering together unto him, 2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; (There is a whole lot of “shaking” going on in these last days. There is a “troubling” in the land through these false teachers and prophets.)
1. Shaken in mind by “spirit.” This is in reference to another spirit instead of the Holy Spirit. Notice with me the little “s” instead of the capital “S.” A “spirit” that is disobedient to the Word of God!
2. Shaken in mind by “word.” This is the message being sent forth or preached. “Another gospel” which cannot save!
3. Shaken in mind by “letter as from us.” False manuscripts were already in circulation in the first century with the forged signatures of the Apostle Paul on them. “Another Jesus” who is not Almighty Jehovah God in the flesh!
D. These false teachers:
1. Cause Confusion – God is not the Author of confusion!
2. Cause Mistrust – God wants us to trust Him!
3. Cause Feat – God is the Author of peace!
4. Cause Bondage – God has called us unto liberty!
E. I want to look at these heresies individually: First of all, I want to look at the phrase “another Jesus, who we have not preached.” This is not the Jesus of the Scripture but another Jesus that the world perceives through false revelation.
F. Before we begin, we need to establish the foundation for our beliefs on these heresies. Our foundation is the Word of God. Otherwise, it is simply my beliefs compared with their beliefs and everyman will “stick to his guns” in the final analysis. We must have a common ground to base our beliefs upon or there is not solitary Truth.
G. Here is my question: Can you change your Bible without changing your Jesus?
H. All that we know about both Jesus Christ and church doctrine comes through the Word of God. Today, we have many “bibles” and all of them are different. This brings about several questions that must have answers or our faith is in vain!
1. Can all of these “bibles” be the Word of God?
2. Can any two of these “bibles” be the Word of God?
3. Do we really have a “bible” that is the Word of God or do we simply have a “bible” that contains the Word of God? Let me say, at this point, that if our “bible” is preserved by man instead of God, it is fallible and errant in nature. This is what most of the “Bible Scholars” teach. I believe that the Bible teaches divine preservation of scripture and “things that are different are not the same!” I believe that we have the infallible, inerrant, perfectly preserved Word of God in the King James Bible!
a) The Bible is more than just paper and ink!
b) The Bible is more than just a translation by man!
c. The Bible is the very Word of God in all of its perfection and beauty!
QUESTION: Can you change your Bible without changing your Jesus? (You cannot separate Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Word, from the Bible, the Inscribed Word!)
The Analogy: The Incarnate Word And The Inscribed Word John 1:1-17
1. Portrays Christ as the Lion of the tribe of Judah
2. He is the coming King of Israel.
3. His Genealogy is reckoned from Abraham
Matthew 1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
4. He is called the son of David - royal in His lineage
5. Five women are mentioned in the genealogy - The grace of a King condescending to sinful man
1. Portrays Christ as the Ox
2. He is the Servant of Man
Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;
3. No genealogy is recorded – a servant or slave had no recorded birth
1. Portrays Christ as the Son of Man
2. He is very man - born of a virgin
3. His genealogy reckoned from Joseph
Luke 3:23, 38 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli, ... Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.
4. Goes back to Adam - his humanity
1. Portrays Christ as the Son of God
2. He is very God and shows His Divinity
3. No genealogy - eternality of His Divinity (always was God)
Interesting that John began the Gospel of Divinity by calling Jesus Christ the Word! John 1:1; Revelation 19:13
In a day when the importance of God’s Word is being minimized, we need to realize that God (when dealing with the Divinity of Christ) called Jesus Christ the Word! God, in His Word, uses the same attributes when dealing with the Word of God as He does when dealing with His Son, Jesus Christ. Let us look at some of these attributes.
1. The Incarnate Word is an Eternal Word - vs 1 “In the beginning”
Psalm 90:1-3 Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men.
The Inscribed Word is an Eternal Word
Psalm 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.
Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Peter 1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.
2. The Incarnate Word is an Ever Present Word - vs 1 “the Word was with God”
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
Hebrews 1:12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.
Psalm 102:27 But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.
The Inscribed Word is an Ever Present Word
1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
Psalm 12:6-7 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
3. The Incarnate Word is the Faultless Word - vs 1 “Word was God” - equal (you cannot separate Jesus Christ from His Word, they are one and the same)
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
Isaiah 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
Hebrews 7:26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;
1 Peter 2:22-23 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
1 John 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
The Inscribed Word is The Faultless Word
Psalm 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times
Psalm 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psalm 119:140 Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.
Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
4. The Incarnate Word is the Authoritative Word - vs 3 “all...made...him”
Mark 1:22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
Mark 1:27 And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.
Mark 4:39-41 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith? And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?
The Inscribed Word is the Authoritative Word
Peter 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
Proverbs 13:13 Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.
Romans 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
5. The Incarnate Word is the Essential Word - vs 3 “nothing made without him”
Colossians 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
The Inscribed Word is the Essential Word
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
James 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
6. The Incarnate Word Gives Life - vs 4, 14 “in him was life...light of men”
1 John 1:1-2 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
The Inscribed Word Gives Life
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Philippians 2:16 Holding forth the word of life;
7. The Incarnate Word is an Illuminating Word - vs 4 “light of men”
John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
The Inscribed Word is an Illuminating Word
2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
8. The Incarnate Word is a Fathomless Word - vs 5 “comprehended it not”
Romans 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
The Inscribed Word is a Fathomless Word
1 Corinthians 2:9-14 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
9. The Incarnate Word is the Rejected Word - vs 9-11 “knew him not...received him not”
Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
The Inscribed Word is the Rejected Word
Hebrews 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
1 John 5:6-12 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
Conclusion: As we are no better than our word, God is no better than His! If our word is fallible, then we are fallible. If God’s Word is fallible, then He is fallible! “Another Jesus” has to do with the Bible!
Monday, September 1, 2008
Song of Solomon 2:8-17
A. What makes the Song of Solomon the “song of songs?” It is an analogy of young love! The Beloved and the Love seeking the fulfillment of love in intimacy ordained and blessed of God! The culmination of this love is found within the bounds of holy matrimony. Marriage is God given and God honored!
B. I have preformed several marriages over the years and count it a privilege to help unite a man and woman in this God ordained covenant. Marriage is a covenant! A covenant only to be sundered by death. It is much more than just a ritual; it is a uniting and binding of two lives that will become one. One desire, one hope, and one love.
C. I use the normal Wedding Vows when performing a marriage ceremony. As our nation’s laws are founded upon the Word of God, so are these sacred vows. They have been used in one form or another through the centuries and I find no reason to change them now. Weddings may vary in their ceremony but when the to be married couple stand before me, the vows are the same. I will not marry them without this vowing before God and man.
D. “My beloved is mine, and I am his.” The Institution of Marriage:
Genesis 2:18; 21-24 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him... And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall
upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and
brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
God’s Word has declared marriage to be honorable in all. It is a divine institution, ordained of God in the garden of Eden between the first man and woman.
1. It was given in wisdom - because man needed a help meet.
2. It was given in kindness - because of man’s loneliness.
Our Lord honored the marriage festival at Cana with His presence and performed His first miracle there. Our Lord selected the marriage to be the emblem of the union that binds together Himself and His own ransomed Bride, the Church. ** (Eph 5:22-33)
1. The Preliminaries Of The Marriage - “Because you have freely and deliberately chosen each other as partners for life, would you please join your right hands.” (Once there were pre-arranged weddings but, in today’s society, the bride and groom freely choose each other.)
a. God Chose Us - Matthew 22:14 For many are called, but few [are] chosen. (This verse does not support Calvinism. Much to the contrary as the “call” of God is to the “many.” Why would God call those who could not come? The call is to all and the choosing is for those who come.)
Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Whosoever will may come and take of the water of life freely!)
b. We Chose God - Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
John 7:37 In the last day, that great [day] of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
2. The Purpose Of The Marriage – “We are gathered here today to unite this man and this woman in the bonds of holy matrimony.”
a. That Two May Become One - Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. (Not “two in one” but “one!” As man and woman are to be one, so must man and God be one!)
b. That Two May Become Many - Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. (As the marriage is intended to bring forth children, so is our union with Christ to bring forth spiritual children!)
3. The Promises Of The Marriage – “Will you have this (man – woman) to be your wedded (wife – husband); will you love (her – him), honor and keep (her – him) in sickness as in health, in poverty as in wealth, and forsaking all others, keep thee only unto (her – him) so long as you both shall live----DO YOU SO PROMISE? (I DO)” “I take thee to be my wedded (wife – husband)...to have and to hold...from this day forward...for better or for worse...for richer or for poorer...in sickness as in health...to love and to cherish.”
Ecclesiastes 5:4-5 When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed. Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay.
a. A Vow Of Love – “Will you love her? Will you love him? To have and to hold. To love and to cherish.)”
1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us. (God never fails of love us.)
John 21:17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, [son] of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
b. A Vow Of Commitment – “Honor and keep… from this day forward...for better or for worse...for richer or for poorer...in sickness as in health, in poverty as in wealth”
Romans 8:35, 38-39 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? [shall] tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?...38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (He is there for us in the good times and in the bad! He is there for us in wealth and poverty! He is there for us in sickness as in health! He is there for us in our sorrows as well as our rejoicing! He never leaves nor forsakes!)
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith: (So are we to stay with him in the bad times as well as the good! The sick times as well as the healthy! The poverty as well as the wealth! The sorrows of life as well as the rejoicing!)
c. A Vow Of Fidelity - Hebrews 13:5b For he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (God will keep His vow!)
1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? (We are to keep ours!)
4. The Permanence Of The Marriage – “Till death do us part!”
The ring, a token of their love for each other, is emblematic of marriage.
The circle, the emblem of eternity; and gold, the type of what is least tarnished and most enduring--it is to show how lasting and imperishable the faith now mutually pledged.
As the union now formed is to be sundered only by death, it becomes you to consider the duties you solemnly assume. If these duties be remembered and faithfully discharged, they will add to the happiness of this life.
It is the duty of the husband to provide for the support of his wife, to shelter her from danger, and to cherish her at all times. It being the command of God’s Word, that husbands love their wives, even as Christ loved the Church, and gave His own life for her.
It is the duty of the wife to reverence her husband, and to put on the ornament of meek and quiet spirit, which is, in God’ sight, as ornament of great price, His Word commanding that wives be subject unto their own husbands, even as the Church is subject unto Christ.
It is the duty of both to delight in one another. To remember that they are to be henceforth undivided. To preserve fidelity, and to see to it that what God hath therefore joined together, man never puts asunder.
As you place this ring on (his – her) ring finger, would you say to her...I love you...with a love as beautiful...and never ending as this ring.
Matthew 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. (We are to be one with Christ throughout eternity.)
The Lighting Of The Unity Candle!
Conclusion: I normally leave this up to the bride and groom but will add this to the wedding ceremony if desired: “You man now kiss your bride!” (Keep the marriage warm and loving all of the days of your life. Our relationship with Christ must never “leave” the first love or else it will be characterized by “lukewarm” and then “cold” as in Laodicea.)