Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Blessed Assurance - Part 4- Assurance Made Simple

Temple Baptist Church - 7-12-2023

John 10:28-30

 

Introduction:

 

A.  For the next couple of weeks, I want to continue preaching on the subject of “Blessed Assurance” because of the effects that both assurance and the lack thereof have on our lives, usefulness, and peace of mind and heart.

 

B.  So many of God’s people are rendered virtually useless because of this issue.  It is for this reason that Satan, the Accuser of the Brethren, spends so much time causing doubt in the life of God’s people.

 

C.  I just want to break down these verses that we read tonight to make assurance both Biblical and simple.

 

D.  Often, people quickly read familiar verses of Scripture without seeing what God is saying in them.  John, chapter 10, is both an answer to the unbelieving Pharisees and assurance to those who have come to God by faith in the finished work of Christ called the Gospel.

 

1.  “My.”  Possession!  As we begin to break down these verses, we need to understand that we that are saved are His!  I thank God that I belong to the Lord and He claims me!  In Him is wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption.

 

1 Corinthians 1:30  But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

 

 

2.  Sheep.”  Peculiarity!  In a world of “goats,” sheep stand out because they are different, and their natures are different. 

 

Titus 2:11-14  For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,  (12)  Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;  (13)  Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;  (14)  Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

 

3.  “Hear my voice.”  Privilege!  God’s people understand God’s Word.  God’s people recognize the small still voice of God in their minds and hearts.

 

John 10:3-4  To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.  (4)  And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

 

4.  “And I know them.”  Personal!  We hear much concerning the words “Personal Saviour.”  Salvation is not generic.  The Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of man is not a Biblical doctrine. 

 

Song of Solomon 2:16a  My beloved is mine, and I am his …”

 

Galatians 2:20  I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

5.  “And they follow me.”  Pleasure!  Living for Christ is a pleasure.  Battling the flesh is not! 

 

Philippians 1:20-21  According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.  (21)  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

 

6.  “And I give unto them.”  Purposed!  God did not save us and leave us where He found us.  Salvation is purposed in its change as well as its destination.

 

2 Peter 1:3  According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

 

7.  “Eternal Life.”  Permanence!”  I will deal with this more next week but we need to realize that “saved and forever I am!!

 

1 John 5:12-13  He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.  (13)  These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

 

8.  “And they shall never perish.”  Promise!  I do not know what the future holds and neither do you but I do know Who holds the future and Who holds my hand.  When the roll is call up yonder, I WILL BE THERE!

 

Jude 24-25  Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,  (25)  To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

 

9.  “Neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.”  Protection!  In the hand of Christ, in the hand of God the Father, and sealed by the Holy Spirit!

 

Colossians 3:3  For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

 

10.  “My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.  I and my Father are one.”  Peace!

No comments: