Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Blessed Assurance - Part 3 - Assurance Of What We Know

Temple Baptist Church - 7-5-2023

John 10:22-30

 

Introduction:

 

A.  John’s Gospel and 1 John run together in many ways.  As I continue on the subject of Blessed Assurance, I want to tie some verses together.

 

B.  John 10:27  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

 

1.  Salvation – “My sheep”

 

2.  Spiritual Growth – “hear my voice”

 

3.  Spiritual Maturity – “and they follow me”

 

C.  1 John 5:13-14  These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.  (14)  And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

 

1.  Salvation – “that believe on the name of the Son of God”

 

2.  Spiritual Growth – “that ye may know … that ye may believe”

 

3.  Spiritual Maturity – “the confidence that we have in him”

 

D.  In Part 1, we found our Salvation.  We saw the blessedness of who we are in Christ Jesus.  Saved, forgiven, washed, sanctified, justified, Sonship, and completion.  Praise the Lord that salvation is both an act of God and a gift from God!  We do not have to maintain our salvation because we are in Christ Jesus and in Him is no sin!  Free from the penalty of sin though still having to live in the presence of sin but one day will be delivered from the presence of sin!

 

E.  In Part 2, we found our Spiritual Growth.  We saw the blessedness of what we have in Christ Jesus.  Assurance, deliverance, peace, blessings, security, the Holy Spirit, the Word of God, and representation.  Salvation is a gift of God, and these are gifts from God.  We are blessed as well as saved.

 

F.  In Part 3, we find our Spiritual Maturity, I want to look at some things that we, as spiritually mature children of God, should know.  These are things that the world will never know or even comprehend.  Here is my “Short List.”

 

1.  We know Salvation.  I do not think I am saved; I do not hope I am saved; I know I am saved!  A place of protection, perfection, and privilege.  Aren’t you glad that you are saved?  How do I know that I am saved?  The bible tells me so but there are also other ways of knowing.

 

a.  Because of Confidence.   Romans 10:9-13  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.  (10)  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.  (11)  For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.  (12)  For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.  (13)  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

 

b.  Because of Change. 2 Corinthians 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

 

c.  Because of Conviction.  Romans 9:1  I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,

 

d.  Because of Company.  1 John 3:14  We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

 

2.  We know Truth.  We live in days of lies and deception.  The world lives in confusion and change but the Bible does not change!  What I hold in my hand tonight will continue to stay the same.

 

a.  Truth in Deliverance.  John 8:32  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

 

b.  Truth in Discipleship.  3 John 1:3-4  For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth.  (4)  I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

 

c.  Truth in Doctrine.  2 Timothy 2:15  Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

 

3.  We know Prophecy.  We live in days of fear.  Men’s hearts failing them for fear.  As God’s children, we need to have a peace of God that passeth all understanding.

 

a.  He is Descending.  1 Thessalonians 4:16-17  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:  (17)  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

b.  We are Departin

g.  1 Thessalonians 4:17  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

 

c.  We are Destined.  1 Corinthians 15:51-54  Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,  (52)  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.  (53)  For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.  (54)  So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

 

4.  We know Eternity.  Mankind is controlled by fear of death.  Hebrews 2:15  And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

 

a.  We shall be like Christ.  1 John 3:2  Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

 

b.  We shall be with Christ.  Revelation 22:3-5  And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:  (4)  And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.  (5)  And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

 

c.  We shall be satisfied by Christ.  Psalms 17:15  As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

No comments: