Sunday, January 29, 2023

Some Things Jesus Left the Church

 Temple Baptist Church - 1-29-2023

Acts 1:1-11

 

Introduction:

 

A.  As we face the new year, I want to look at some things that our Lord Jesus Christ left to the church 2,000 years ago.  Though times have certainly changed, these things have not.

 

B.  The local church was given a commission in Matthew 28:18-20 and the command has not changed!

 

Matthew 28:18-20  And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.  (19)  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:  (20)  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

 

1.  The Church was left to evangelize the world.

 

2. The Church was left to exemplify Christ to the lost.

 

3.  The Church is to baptize new converts and teach them “all things whatsoever I have commanded you.”

 

C. Too many churches have forgotten their assignment.  In these 11 verses, we find some things that our Lord left the church.

 

1. The Holy Ghost - Acts 1:4  “wait for the promise of the Father

 

a.  The gift of the Holy Ghost.  John 16:7  Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

 

b. Expedient - better or more profitable, beneficial.

 

2.  The Word of God – Acts 1:4 “ye have heard of me”

 

a.  The Lord gave us Himself in the Bible.  The Bible is a “Him Book.”

 

b.  The Lord’s name is the Word of God and you cannot separate the two without doing injustice to Him.  (John 1:1-2; Revelation 19:13)

 

3. A Message that Works - Acts 1:8 “witnesses unto me”

 

a.  The message that we preach is Jesus Christ and a finished gospel.

 

b.  Galatians 6:14 speaks of our glorying in the cross of Christ, not self.

 

c. God's Power to Changed Lives - vs 3-5

 

1) A New Nature (godliness and holiness)

 

2) A New Desire (serve the Lord)

 

3) A New Fellowship (baptized and assembled)

 

4. The Record of a living Christ - Acts 1:9  “while they beheld, he was taken up

 

a. He lives! Romans 10:9-10 (believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead)

 

b. We serve a risen Savior.

 

5. An unlimited Power - Acts 1:8; Matt 28:18 – “shall receive power” “All Power”

 

a.   Power to preach the Word.

 

b.  Power to withstand and having done, to stand.  Matthew 16:18 - "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

 

6. A Commission - Acts 1:8  “ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth

 

a.  To reach our Jerusalem -Laurens.

 

b.  To reach our Judea – South Carolina.

c.  To reach our Samaria – America.

 

d.  To reach the uttermost part of the earth.

 

7. A promised Presence - Matthew 28:20  “I am with you alway”

 

a.  The Lord is with us as His children.

 

b.  The Lord is with His church.

 

8. A blessed Assurance - Acts 1:11  “this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven 

 

a. 1 Thessalonians 4:16  For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout"

 

b.  John 14:1-3  Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.  (2)  In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.  (3)  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

No comments: