Sunday, August 28, 2022

A Morning Prayer

 Temple Baptist Church - 8-28-2022

Psalm 5


 

Introduction:

 

A.  I pray that everyone here tonight understands the privilege and importance of prayer.  Every child of God has instant and constant access to God in in prayer.  “Pray without ceasing” the command that the Holy Ghost gave to the Thessalonian believers.

 

B.  Many times, in the Bible, we get to enter the prayer closets of some of its greatest believers.  This should excite us because: I will not spend a lot of time on the prayer itself as it Davidic and consistent with all the prayers of King David.

 

1.  Verses 1-3 – David’s Consecration

 

a)  David’s Direction

b)  David’s Devotion

c)  David’s Determination

 

2.  Verses 4-6 – David’s Circumstances

 

a)  Their Forsakenness

b)  Their Foolishness

c)  Their Future

 

3.  Verses 7-8 – David’s Character

 

a)  I will Follow

b)  I will Fear

c)  I will Forsake

 

4.  Verses 9-10 – David’s Consideration

 

a)  His Enemies’ Delusion

b)  His Enemies’ Destruction

 

5.  Verses 11-12 – David’s Confidence

 

a)  David’s Peace

b)  David’s Praise

 

C.  I want to look at the importance of our “Morning Prayers” found in Psalms 5:3:  “My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.”

 

D.  Do you take time to pray in your mornings? 

 

“Take Time To Pray”

I go up early in the morning and rushed right into the day.

I had so much to accomplish that I didn’t take time to pray.

Problems just tumbled around me and heavier came each task.

I whined, “Why doesn’t God help me?”  He said, “You didn’t ask.”

I groaned and shouted and grumbled, I tried every key in the lock.

I cried, “Why doesn’t He open?”  He said, “Son, you didn’t knock.”

So, I got up early this morning and paused before entering the day.

I had so much to accomplish, I had to take time to pray.

 

1.  The morning prayer closet is a hidden place from others.  Matthew 14:23  And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.

 

2.  The morning prayer closet is an intimate place where God’s children spend personal time with their God. Matthew 6:6  But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

 

3.  The morning prayer closet is a place where we start our day off right.  Psalms 63:1-2  A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;  (2)  To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.

 

4.  The morning prayer closet is a place where we tell God what is on our minds without having others to listen in; a place where we can find help in time of need. 

 

Hebrews 4:16  Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

 

5.  The morning prayer closet is a place where can find encouragement.  1 Samuel 30:6  And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.

 

6.  The morning prayer closet is a place where we can find the strength to go on in time of adversity.  Psalms 32:7  Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.

 

7.  The morning prayer closet is a place where we can unload our burdens. 1 Peter 5:7  Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

 

8.  The morning prayer closet is a place where we can have our fears relieved and our peace restored.  Psalms 27:1  A Psalm of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

 

This morning, did you take time to pray?

No comments: