Temple Baptist Church - 12-6-2020
A. With the approach of Christmas, I thought about these verses of Scripture that still thrill my heart.
B. In these verses, we find the plan of God in redemption.
1. The undying love of the Father, expressed in His relationship to both His Son and sinful man, is clearly shown.
2. In Romans 5:8, the Bible clearly says, “in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us!”
3. Oh, what love, what wisdom that Jesus Christ should die in our place that we might live in His. “That God should love a sinner such as I; how wonderful is love like this!”
C. Not only did He die for us but here we find His expectation concerning sinful man. This will be a very simple message
1. His Existence – 5-6 – Who He Was (The Alpha and Omega – Creator and Lord of All – Sovereign of the Universe – Potentate and God Almighty – I AM THAT I AM – The Word of God)
a. Our Eternal God - John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
b. Gives Eternal Life - John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
2. His Emptying – 7 – Who He Became (He left heavens glory for me – He who never knew pain, hunger, physical weakness. He left the realm and praise of angels – He left it all that we might gain all.)
a. His Incarnation - John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
b. His Testing - Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
c. His Purity - Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
3. His Example – 5 – How He Behaved – Obedient (He always did the will of His Father in heaven, kept the laws of man, and became subject to his oppressors.)
a. His Life - 1 Peter 2:21-25 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: (22) Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: (23) Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: (24) Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. (25) For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.
b. His Ministry - Matthew 20:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
4. His Expiring – 8 – Why He Came and What He Did (He set His face toward Calvary like a flint – He who knew no sin became sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.)
a. The Reason For His Death - Galatians 4:4-5 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, (5) To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
b. The Result Of His Death - Romans 5:8-9 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (9) Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
5. His Exaltation – 9 – What He Deserves and What God did for Him
(“Jesus Christ: he is Lord of all!” What more can be said?)
a. His Adoration - Philippians 2:9-11 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: (10) That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; (11) And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
b. His Position - 1 Peter 3:22 Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.