Sunday, December 27, 2020

I Want To Finish Right

Temple Baptist Church - 12-27-2020

2 Timothy 4:6-8

 

Introduction:

 

A. l Christmas is over, and a New Year is at hand. 

 

1.  2020 has been a year of uncertainty and challenges that has become history. 

 

2.  God was good to us last year; God protected us last year; God fed us last year.  God has been SO good to us!

 

B.  A new year is on the horizon now.  We see it quickly approaching and next week, it will be here. 

 

1.  Some of us are getting old; all of us are getting older; the time of His appearing or our departure is nearing.  One way or the other, we will be leaving for home soon. 

 

2.  We lost a good man of God on Christmas Day, Pastor Jim Rutland.  Jim was a good preacher, a good pastor, and a friend to most of us.  He finished his course; he kept the faith; he is home!

 

3.  I told Barbara that I want to finish right; I told others this past week that I want to finish right.

 

C.  As I read 2 Timothy, chapter 4, I see the end of a great life, a life spent for Christ.  The Apostle Paul was one of the greatest Christians who ever lived.  He fought a good fight; he finished his course; he kept the faith.

 

D.  That is what I desire.  That is what you should desire.  The world’s problems and America’s problems stem from one thing.  A rejection of God, His Son—Christ Jesus, and salvation.

 

E.  How to finish right?  I believe that Paul gave us 4 things in these verses to help us answer that question.

 

1.  Paul Fought A Good Fight.  1 Timothy 6:11-12  But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.  (12)  Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

 

2.  Paul Finished His Course.  Acts 20:24  But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

 

3.  Paul Kept the Faith.  Jude 3-4  Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.  (4)  For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

 

4.  Paul Loved His Appearing.  1 John 3:1-3  Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.  (2)  Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.  (3)  And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

 

Conclusion:  This is simple: in 2021, I want to be right so that I can finish right.  There are so many distractions in this world, therefore, let us keep our eye on Christ and our hand to the plough in 2021!

No comments: