Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Commitment or The Lack Thereof!

Temple Baptist Church - 10-16-2019
Hebrews 10:25


Introduction: 

A.  I feel that the title of the message is a scripture one.

1.  Commitment – “Not Forsaking the assembling of ourselves together”  OR

2. The lack Thereof – “as the manner of some is.”

B.  Last week, I preached on “How To Help Your Church.” 

1.  Every part of the body of Christ is essential.  Therefore, every part of the body has a work to do. 

1 Corinthians 12:4-11  Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.  (5)  And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.  (6)  And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.  (7)  But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.  (8)  For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;  (9)  To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;  (10)  To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:  (11)  But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

2.  Therefore, every part of the body of Christ needs to be a “working” part for the work of the local church to get done properly.

C.  No matter how much we quote Hebrews 10:25; no matter how much we preach Hebrews 10:25, there are those— “as the manner pf some is”—that never get faithful.

1.  I do not understand why a Christian would want to stay out of church.  I thank God that most of our people are faithful. 

2.  We have virtually the same Sunday night crowd as we do on Sunday morning and Wednesday does not vary much, but some still have a problem with faithfulness.

3.  Unfortunately, “as the manner of some is” is not in church tonight.  I know that some must work, and some may be providentially hindered in some way, but some just stay at home on Wednesday nights.

4.  I want you to know that I am not complaining, just explaining.  I am not discouraged, just encouraging “and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.”

D.  Now the question could be asked, “Then why are you preaching to us?”  Because of the possibility of one of you becoming “as the manner of some is!”

E.  The problem with people “forsaking” can be a multiple one.  Discouragement, disappointment, laziness, commitment …

1.  This is not a “conversion” problem.  The local church is not a place of assembly for the unsaved!  Paul is writing to saved Jews that are dispersed or scattered.

2.  This is a “commitment” problem!”  

F.  I want to take a short look at commitment tonight because I believe that commitment can “trump” everything else. 

1.  One of the major problems of our days is commitment to anything.  It is hard to get people to commit to anything and, if you can get them to make a commitment, it is even harder to get them to keep that commitment. 

2.  There was a time when “a man’s word was his bond.”  Simply stated, if someone told you that they would do something, THEY DID IT!  Not so today. 

G. Spiritual commitment, just like any other kind of commitment, is a two-way street.  Tonight, I just want to focus in on our commitment to the local church in these last days.  This commitment is three-fold:

1.  First, and foremost, it is a commitment to God!

2.  Secondly, it is a commitment to each other!

3.  Thirdly, it is a commitment to the local church!

4.  All three of these things are combined for the good of all.

H.  I want to look at a short passage that expresses the two-way street of commitment with God.

2 Timothy 1:8-14  Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;  (9)  Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,  (10)  But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:  (11)  Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.  (12)  For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.  (13)  Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.  (14)  That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.

1.  God has made a commitment to His children. To “keep that which I (we) have committed unto Him against that day.”

a.  As salvation is an act of God; eternal salvation is also an act of God.  I have often said that eternal life is the only kind of life that God gives.  If someone believes that they can merit salvation or live good enough to keep salvation, they are self-deceived.  Salvation is an act of God upon the repentant believer.  Eternal salvation is an act by God of keeping His commitment to the believer.

b.  GOD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS COMMITMENTS!

John 10:27-30  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:  (28)  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.  (29)  My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.  (30)  I and my Father are one.

2.  God has committed “that good thing” to His children.  God committed something to us to be kept.

a.  This keeping must be done through “the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.”  The Holy ghost of God is our Enabler!  Through listening to the Holy Ghost and through obedience to the Holy ghost.

b.  This keeping must be done through commitment!  In hard times as well as good times; to have and to hold; for better or for worse; for richer or for poorer; in sickness as in health; to love and to cherish; till death do us reunite!  Sound familiar!

c.  I changed the last word of the wedding vows because, for the death will unite us with Christ!

3.  Let us keep that which has been committed unto us against that day.  Commitment to “that good thing” should never become a drudgery or an excessive burden.  Commitment is honoring our profession of faith in Jesus Christ!

No comments: