Temple Baptist Church - 7-14-2019
A. The work of the ministry is many faceted. It takes a concentrated effort from every believer to make sure that the work of the church is done efficiently and fully.
B. Each is placed into the Body of Christ with purpose and pleasing. It pleased God to place us where we can be of the most beneficial use.
1 Corinthians 12:18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
C. There is to be no division in the Body. There is to be no jealousy in the body.
1 Corinthians 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
D. Here in the last chapter of Romans, we find many who were commended for various reasons. Each with equal importance and praise.
E. It is interesting that not everyone that Paul commended had the same commendation.
F. There are some things that we are all to do as Christians, but then the gifts and service of individuals may greatly vary. Some seem to feel that they have no gifts too be offered or used in the local church, but they are wrong. Without everyone engaged, the local church will suffer to some degree.
G. The Lord placed each perfectly into the Body of Christ.
Psalms 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfullymade: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
1. Fearfully – to reverence or to stand in awe (God’s Sovereignty)
2. Wonderfully – distinct or to make separate
1. Phebe was both a servant and a succourer. vs. 1-2 There are those who simply serve.
A. Servant of the church - Johnny-on-the-spot, get it done girl!
B. Succourer - to take care of one. She looked for opportunity to help God’s men.
2. Priscilla and Aquila were companions in labor. vs. 3-5b Sometimes, you just need someone on your side.
Ecclesiastes 4:11-12 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
3. Epaenetus was an encourager (steadfast in the faith). vs. 5b Thank God for the faithful – I don’t have to wonder where you are.
4. Mary and Urbane were simply a workers. vs. 6, 9 Praise the Lord for those who quietly get the work done around the church.
5. Andronicus and Junia – bold in persecution . vs. 7 Those who stood in spite of persecution.
6. Amplias, Stachys were simply beloved. vs. 8-9 No mention of any work at all, but they were greatly love by all.
7. Apelles was pleasing to the Lord. vs. 10 This man placed Christ first and was a great example to other believers.)
8. Aristobulus and Narcissus had their families in church. vs. 10-11 A faithful family man.
9. Rufus’ mother was a mother to Paul also. vs. 13 Godly woman who took others under her “wing.”
Conclusion: Paul ended in verse 16 with the exhortation to greet one another with a holy kiss.
a. Speaks of unity – “one another”
b. Speaks of purity – “holy”
c. Speaks of passion – “kiss”
WE ARE TO LOVE EVERYONE IN THE CHURCH!